Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

My 2005 D3 TDV6 Manual.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 17 of 26 <123 ... 161718 ... 242526>
disco-nut

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I have to admit, the longer it was taking me to do, the more I was starting to doubt the design in my head. But I am really pleased with the outcome.

Thank you for your kind comments Ruben.

Also I have decided that the DRL indicators aren't quite as bright as I would like, So I have just bought some 3157 LED bulbs that flash amber to go in the indicator slot just to give the indicators more presence in the daytime.

And I have to agree with some peoples comments on 2 other forums about the brightness of the indicators could be improved by the manufacturer, But I like the fact that I currently have something that is different to other peoples Discovery's but I have taken a lot of inspiration from many members Discovery's on this forum. And after we find out the results of something that has been happening over the last few weeks, if the outcome is positive for us, I have been given permission by my other half who uses my ZS Mondeo for commuting to do this Mod to the current Mondeo.

The other inspiration for this mod though was the D2 facelift from the D2 pre facelift model, I noticed how much better the D2 looked with the updated lights and the 2014- Discovery 4 with the black lights and black grill after seeing one outside in Ashford at the dealership, I made my final decision on the front end look for my car. I also wanted mods that I could easily transfer to another D3 if needed and that could be undone so I could put the car back to standard without hasstle. I believe I have achieved this.

And a huge thanks to beanie for selling the headlights. Do you recognise them beanie? lol

Post #162437813th Mar 2016 1:43 am
disco-nut

The rear bumper light not working properly is actually properly bugging me, so I have just ordered another pair off of Ebay. So will be playing with the rear loom again soon lol. While I am in there again, I will add the plugs I intended on fitting the first time lol.

Post #162492714th Mar 2016 2:55 am
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I think that might be your only disappointment.
The cheap Chinese LED's are prone to failure as you've already found out with your bumper/reflector strip. Sadly the type of LED's that are needed for the mods you've done are not really available from a reputable source so as such, you're stuck with buying the cheaper end of the market.

I hope your headlight mod doesn't suffer the same fate, however I think you might be disappointed with the longevity of the strips you've used. I hope I'm wrong for your sake but since modding my front fogs with the halo's, I have replaced them twice since doing the first mod due to the odd LED dropping out and the cheap interior LED's have hardly proven to be reliable either. Rolling Eyes

You're happy with it currently which is what matters.
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Last edited by Narpy on 14th Mar 2016 9:10 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #162505614th Mar 2016 11:50 am
disco-nut

The LED bumpers lights being faulty was my own fault as I shorted 2 wires together during the testing process which blew the fuse. And if they don't last too long, I won't be worried as they are easy enough to replace.

The lights in the headlights will be fine, Exactly same quality as the £30 ones sold in the UK, and again, the mod has been done as a simple swap over job if one or both do fail. They aren't glued in, only clipped in place using the clips that are screwed the lights and they have there own little internal plug meaning no faffing around with wiring again. So Narpy, ALL thought of in advance Very Happy Laughing

Post #162533214th Mar 2016 7:58 pm
NorthernMunky

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Narpy wrote:
...since modding my front fogs with the halo's, I have replaced them twice since doing the first mod due to the odd LED dropping out and the cheap interior LED's have hardly proven to be reliable either...

Hey Narpy

(Sorry disco-nut for temporarily hijacking your great thread!)

I've been thinking about getting some halos for my fogs from AF, but I'm worried about exactly this. Are yours from AF or somewhere else?

Post #162549215th Mar 2016 12:01 am
disco-nut

No worries NorthernMonkey, Just make sure that you do your mods in such a way that you can easily undo it or change the new part. The fog lights just unscrew, so if a halo did die, you could easily replace it.

Post #162549515th Mar 2016 12:07 am
disco-nut

I got bored as I can't be bothered to strip the other headlights yet. So made the car smile on my phone lol.

Post #162549615th Mar 2016 12:09 am
disco-nut

I had 6000k LED Projector bulbs fitted in my original headlights, bought from a reputable and well known LED bulb seller through another club to do with Fords, and after the 2nd set going the same way as the first set, as they were getting too hot in the light and melting themselves, I am being sent 5500k bulbs to try. Fingers crossed that these will be ok. No one else has had problems with these exact bulbs from the seller in their Fords. So quite interesting that the Land Rover is eating them. Yet cheap tat China LED bulbs have worked fine with no issues, but weren't as bright as the projector lights I bought in the UK.

I am now on the hunt for some Mondeo MK3 lights as I have the urge to custom build some more lights. Not quite sure what I am going to do style wise this time though.

Post #162552115th Mar 2016 2:31 am
disco-nut

Latest upgrades on the Discovery.

My other half has treated me to a Pioneer car DVD, TV, CD, Radio etc... Player which has the reverse camera function. Picking it up from Essex on Saturday, I can't wait.

So I figured that I might as well finish the upgrade and add the reverse camera too lol
I have bought a super cheap camera from HK so don't care if it doesn't last a long time as it was under £11 delivered.

So between home and Essex and back there will be a few changes Smile

The stereo will be fitted at Halfords, But NOT by Halfords lol. The indicator resistors will be fitted and anything else I can think of that I have forgotten.

Looking forward to the road trip.

Post #162715018th Mar 2016 1:44 am
DiscoStoo

England 

Love the look of that!! Not really been on the ice scene for a good ten years or more, so all forms of new technology in that dept has well passed me by... Embarassed
I take it that will run remote screens for headrests etc? Confused Very Happy

Post #162715218th Mar 2016 2:18 am
disco-nut

It has 1 output for external monitors which I know you can buy splitters for, but I am not really interested in adding any more screens, but it has the reverse camera function and bluetooth which are 2 functions I really wanted. Especially for towing and lining up the towbar with the trailer or caravan lol.
I may add TV screens in the headrests later on though. But this was reduced from £279.99 to £150 in Halfords, for this one and we have also bought one without the DVD player although it will play DVD's with a device added on for the Mondeo for £130 reduced from £200. The biggest thing for the Mondeo was the blutooth and being able to stream music through either blutooth or USB.

This is the spec of the Discovery's one.

Pioneer AVH-270BT Double Din CD / DVD Player

Boring car journeys will be no more with the Pioneer AVH-270BT Double Din CD / DVD Player at your fingertips. This CD player boasts a 6.2" anti-glare touchscreen and allows you to take your movie and music collection with you on the road, whether it's stored on CDs, DVDs, a USB device or an iPhone or Android smartphone. It also comes with Bluetooth, letting you stream your music or take hands-free calls over a wireless connection. Supporting the most popular audio and video formats, this will definitely brighten up your journeys.

Pioneer AVH-270BT Double Din CD / DVD Player Extra Info

Large 6.2" anti-glare touchscreen
Plays audio and video from CDs, DVDs, USB devices and iPhone and Android smartphones
Supports the most popular audio formats, as well as DivX, Xvid and MPEG-1/-2/-4 video files
Video out support
Bluetooth streaming

Bluetooth Compatible: Yes
Front AUX: No
Made for iPod: Yes
MP3: Yes
Rear Aux input: Yes
Screen Size: 6.2"
Type: Car Stereos
USB: Yes
App Radio: No
CD Player: Yes
Detachable Faceplate: No
Display Colour: Colour Screen
DIN size: Double
DVD Player: Yes
Preouts: 1
Remote Control Included: No
SD Card Slot: No
Stalk adaptor compatible: Yes

That last lot of info was copied from the spec of the advert of the system itself.

Post #162715418th Mar 2016 2:33 am
disco-nut

I have been rushed into A&E once on the 1th March then again on the 19th march by ambulance and transferred from one hospital to another on the 19th march, I was heavily medicated over the weekend but was released home until Monday 21st, I didn't know what day was what at the weekend and on Tuesday 22nd I had an emergency operation. I came home late yesterday and I am heavily medicated for at least another week Sad Had complications with my Kidneys which included Kidney stones along with some complications which caused me to lose consciousness twice at home. And I had to be awake for my operation which was really horrible. So everything I had planned for the Discovery last weekend, ended up not happening. And the worst thing is, The doctors and the surgeon stated that my condition was brought on be severe stress! And I am supposed to avoid stress. That I cannot do! Thanks to having a psycho next door neighbour who continued to make my partners life hell while I was in hospital laid up. The complication included HEAVY internal bleeding.

This was the view from my bed. I was really pleased to have a window bay even if the view wasn't fantastic lol

Click image to enlarge

If my stress levels don't come down, I will end up back in hospital very quickly!

Anyway, back on topic...

I bought a Discovery Fascia so that I could fit my new stereo, and it turned out that the cage that Pioneer give with there double stereo's are WAY TOO BIG for ANY fascia adapter! Have had the same problem with the Mondeo's unit! As we bought a similar system but without the CD/DVD drive for the Mondeo too. For the Pioneer stereo, I had to buy a 100mm universal cage. This arrived today and now all I have left to do is to fit the universal security lock to the sides of the unit and push it in.

Then at the weekend, it will be fitted into the car properly. The reverse camera has not arrived yet so that will be added at a later date.

I just need to hunt online next what wire to connect the stereo's park brake wire too as I want the DVD system to work full time rather than just when the park brake is on. Not that I will actually be watching films while I drive, as the main purpose of the screen is to be able to see the reverse camera view.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #163022024th Mar 2016 12:09 am
disco-nut

As long as I don't end up back in Hospital this weekend, I have a few little jobs planned. The stereo is going to be fitted, headlight wiring is going to be modified slightly again and the relay fitted for the indicators. As well as the additional LED indicator bulbs, Possibly looking at testing the HID kit that came with the lights I bought to see what they are like, and will be fitting the LED sidelight bulbs which I have.

And if the weather is good, hopefully will give the discovery a wash.

I am also considering painting the front light guards gloss black, but not sure yet.

Post #163078225th Mar 2016 2:52 am
disco-nut

Finally, the new stereo system is ready to be installed. Just need to find out info for 1 wire that needs to be connected to something for the DVD player to work, but it will be installed tomorrow. So no more intermittent stereo Smile

The universal cage and having to fit the universal security clips was a pain in the Censored but got there in the end.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #163121425th Mar 2016 11:41 pm
disco-nut

Looks like I will be having to spend another £20 on the ICE install Shocked I will have to buy a Handbrake Bypass Relay. I won't be watching films while driving as that is dangerous, but I don't want to be messing with the wires near the handbrake, so in a couple of weeks, I am going to buy the relay and fit it. But annoyingly, I need 2 of the relays as I have 2 stereos. However the Mondeo's install is proving to be a lot more expensive than the Discovery's, so the radio upgrade for the Mondeo is on the back burner for about 6 weeks.

I will be happy to at the very least be able to play music CD's and listen to the Radio without having to fight the system to play CD's or get the Overheating error message and it shut down etc... Which is a shame as I thought the factory base radio had pretty good sound quality.

My reverse camera from HK hasn't arrived yet, so that will be an install for another week. Although I know I am going to be fighting bad weather tomorrow according to the weather reports.

And because of the weather reports saying high winds and heavy rain, most of the other little jobs have been put on the back burner for another week. So will just be fitting the LED bulbs into the headlights and hopefully connecting the Relays to stop the fast dash flashing when the indicators are on. I thought I could live with the fast flash and fast clicking noise, but it is actually driving me up the wall! Laughing

I was also hoping to give my car a thorough AFTER winter clean and polish inside and out, but again, cancelled due to the weather.

So that will be done the following weekend if I get time as I also have the towbar safety check number 2 booked for the 2nd. And I am really hoping that if I am given a courtesy car, that it is a D4.

Post #163123926th Mar 2016 3:57 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 17 of 26 <123 ... 161718 ... 242526>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >