Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

My 2005 D3 TDV6 Manual.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 14 of 26 <123 ... 131415 ... 242526>
disco-nut

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I have finally managed to get round to at least starting the painting of the lights, I have accidentally melted a couple patches slightly with the heat gun before I applied the prime, but luckily primer and paint hide it well lol.

I thought I would only be able to get the 1st coat of primer done today however I managed to get more than 1 coat done and dried and so far got the 1st coat of paint on.

I had an accident with the tape too, I wanted to keep the side light pocket silver, however discovered that the tape (Frog Tape) that I used had removed the silver coating where it was stuck, so now un planned, the side light pockets are gloss black as well. I have left the indicator pockets silver though as they unclipped from the rest of it all.

Hopefully by Thursday or maybe even tomorrow evening, I may even have the dual function LED flexi strip fitted, and and by Friday I want to have the lights back together and wired properly so that they can be fitted onto the car on Saturday. The Discovery is going to be undergoing a bit of a transformation on Saturday Smile As long as the weather holds out.

Post #161491723rd Feb 2016 5:44 pm
r4ff

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Next you need to get rid of those wings on the side and fit some beefy sliders instead Wink
 what is this life, if full of care?
we have no time to stand and stare.

Post #161499723rd Feb 2016 8:08 pm
disco-nut

No chance R4ff, I fitted those wings lol, I hate the look of the sliders lol

Post #161500423rd Feb 2016 8:19 pm
disco-nut

I really need to learn a bit of patience.

I managed to get most of the components for the head light mod ready for the final coat of paint, and in my haste, I forgot to look up what other lights looked like again and realised that the indicator still having a silver pocket, but the sidelight having a black pocket would look odd, and stupidly decided to carry on up until about 1am prime and then try and paint the incicator pockets. BIG MISTAKE! I managed to get the primer to set fine, but then the frost started to set in outside after I applied the first coat of paint, and hoped that if I left it an hour to dry that it would be ok. But no. So now I will have to use paint wipes and then repaint the pockets tomorrow.

I should have known about the paint as I have done a lot of body work on my cars over the years, but got too impatient Rolling Eyes

But at least I can correct it.

Click image to enlarge

I hope I like the end result after all this mucking around to get it painted etc...

Post #161519024th Feb 2016 3:17 am
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Question Maybe I'm not seeing this as others, but I thought the reason for these 'pockets' being silver was to give some reflection to the bulb and make the indication more obvious? Confused

Post #161522224th Feb 2016 8:52 am
disco-nut

It is now shiny black instead of shiny silver, but once I have finished modifying the light, you will see why the indicator pocket will be not needed at all.

Post #161560524th Feb 2016 8:36 pm
disco-nut

Despite the weather trying to beat me with my plans of painting the internals of the lights, I am managing lol, I will be in the dog house later, but I am spraying outdoors and have succeeded in turning my small kitchen into a paint oven lol. I have to get all the components finished by 5 at the latest so that I can attempt at airing the kitchen enough to not get in trouble with my other half lol. I only have 1 more coat to do on most of the parts and 2 more coats on 1 part. Then I can leave them over night to dry fully and harden before I start adding the new bits.

Post #161601725th Feb 2016 4:17 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

You will be deeply in the cack tonight then disco-nut........that smell takes weeks to die down. Laughing
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #161603325th Feb 2016 5:02 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

He'll be updating about how he's doing mods from the doghouse next. Mr. Green
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #161603825th Feb 2016 5:15 pm
disco-nut

I have managed to get the painting done, and DN I have a sort of plan for the kitchen, it involves a plug in air freshener and 3 other sprays I can find along with the extractor on and windows and door wipe open. I got away with the excuse of I painted near the back door and the smell must have followed me in last time Laughing But not sure if that will work this time.

But 1 can of primer, 5 paint prep wipes from Halford, 3 sanding blocks from poundland and 1 and half cans of Hycote gloss black paint and I finally got there lol

The parts will be left over night in my lounge and bathroom to harden further and then tomorrow or maybe later tonight if I feel impatient I will start fitting the new lighting. But defo won't be touching the electrical connecting part of the DRL's and indicators until tomorrow as I don't want to Censored it up.

Saturday is going to be EPIC. I am planning on a mini facelift of the Discovery, nothing will save my face lol, and also rear lights in the bumper will be connected up as well as the double brake light mod.

Then Sunday I am off out to collect my genuine Land Rover lights and then the D3 is coming off the road apart from ultra essential local trips as the rear brakes are binding and sqealing like crazy more and more now. I have to sit at traffic lights and play with the hand brake button to stop the noise, but if I go round a corner it squeals like mad and when I reverse down my road, it sounds like a Censored coach braking lol.

So the Mondeo when it is home in the evenings and weekends will be my main mode of transport until I can get Geoff to book me in as I know he is extremely busy.

Click image to enlarge

Post #161603925th Feb 2016 5:17 pm
disco-nut

I have cut it way too fine for timing of my other half to get home. No doubt I will 100% be in the dog house. I have started cooking though which is soo far starting to very slightly disguise the smell, I will be emptying a can of febreeze into the room after 5.15pm lol

Post #161604825th Feb 2016 5:47 pm
disco-nut

Kitchen smells of cooking to me now lol and the door and windows are wide open, hopefully I have avoided the dog house lol

Post #161606925th Feb 2016 6:33 pm
RandomKamikaze

United Kingdom 

Those lights look amazing Thumbs Up

Looking forward to seeing them re-assembled and back on the car.

Did you stay out the dog house?
 Disco gone Sad  
Post #161624825th Feb 2016 10:43 pm
disco-nut

I managed to stay out of the dog house lol,

Not getting on well with adding the LED strips as the screws are such poor quality I am struggling to get them in by hand and have had to apply some of the clips with glue.

I will try with a screwdriver attachment in the dremel tomorrow if I have time to get the clips all screwed on. But I am seriously doubting now that this weekend is going to be the weekend that the lights get finished now. I will try and get them done next week if not this week.

But the rear LED lights and extra brake light mods are being installed.

Click image to enlarge

Post #161631726th Feb 2016 1:07 am
disco-nut

Felt too ill Friday to do anything at all, Ended up bed ridden dosed up with pain meds. However I have decided best option to continue with this mod is to get a pack of 1.0mm drill bits from my local hardware shop on my way to my Mums whose drive I am hogging lol. So Saturday, Front fog lights without loom will be fitted, rear brake light mod will be added and the 3 function bumper LED's that replaced the ones that got broken in the car accident will be fitted and wired up. I am in 2 minds about wiring them up as DRL's, so for now, they are not. So by the end of tomorrow, my car will have 4 reverse lights, 6 tail lights and 7 brake lights lol. At least I will be able to say people will see me stopping and reversing unless they are blind lol

If I have time, the car is going to get a quick hoover out and clean on the outside.

I am also hoping that I will be ok enough by the time I get home to finish the head lights. Then I might fit them while I am out at some point collecting the Spot Lights on Sunday.

Post #161691127th Feb 2016 2:11 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 14 of 26 <123 ... 131415 ... 242526>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >