Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Q393-Detachable Towbar & LR Letter ***ALL HERE***
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 68 <123 456 ... 666768>
geoffsnook

Wales 

How would they know if it was left attached unless it was stuck in here have emailed stratstone to ask them if mine needs checking to be on the safe side Mr. Green
 Discovery 3 se gone
Range rover sport supercharged here:) 

Post #13988811st Jan 2015 2:00 pm
David_Ritzema

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I called my local Land Rover main agent quoting service action Q363 and advised that I tow a heavy caravan regularly all over the UK and and Europe. The service department was happy to book me in at the earliest opportunity (8 January) to have the D4 checked for towbar and socket wear. There is some movement of the towbar but it's nowhere near as bad as my old D3, which used to give a loud "clunk" every time the caravan went over a bump in the road.

Coincidentally, last week I was playing around on the Land Rover web site and decided to "build" a 2015 D4 to the same spec as my 2012 D4 HSE. The interesting point arising out of that exercise was that the website will only allow you to specify 13-pin caravan towing electrics with a fixed towbar. The conclusion I draw from that is that Land Rover now considers that only a fixed towbar should be used for towing a caravan, whether or not the towing is "occasional". I will certainly be arguing this if there is any resistance to replacing the removable towbar with a fixed unit, particularly as I was not given any option when I bought the D4 despite advising the dealer of the intended use of the vehicle.

I will post an update after my visit to my dealer to let you all know how I got on.

Post #13989161st Jan 2015 2:53 pm
Sion

Wales 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Had mine looked at by LR and they were unable to do the excessive wear test on mine as the lock on the removable tow bar was completely seized. They need to be able to remove the tow bar to fit the template to check for play. After they had attempted to remove it and failed, they called me back and said that the technician working on it had said that there was so much play that he could tell that I needed a replacement rear cross member. It's booked in for two days for this job.

I was a bit surprised that they are only replacing the rear cross member and not the tow bar, but according to them, they need to use my old removable tow ball. As mine is knackered, they offered me a deal for a new one for £417 excluding VAT. I declined and have bought a second hand one from sailorboi here. Hopefully if there is still play, they will replace it for a new one at their cost.

Interestingly, I did tell them that I use it to tow a horse trailer and they didn't offer to fit the permanent tow bar.

Post #13992312nd Jan 2015 10:26 am
Ecosse

Just looked at LR's website, and the towing options for a new D4 - the info for the removeable bar just says:-

"Make the most of Discovery's extraordinary pulling power with the optional factory fitted plug in towing equipment. Includes towing electrics and 50mm tow ball with quick release feature and is lockable for security. Rated to 3,500kg." - NO mention of restrictions that are now being referred to!!

while, the fixed unit simply says "50mm Tow Ball. Three different towing heights. Lowest tow ball height 350mm from ground. Highest tow ball height 500mm from ground. 3,500kg trailer load capacity (150kg trailer nose load). Not compatible with Body Styling Pack 2008-2009 Model Year. Required for commercial and constant use only."

Post #13994712nd Jan 2015 6:21 pm
drout

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Daft question, but do all discos have the hole for the quick release ball? Or does it need anything else fitting?

Post #13994962nd Jan 2015 6:52 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

All have them - it is part of the rear crossmember.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #13995062nd Jan 2015 7:02 pm
drout

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

THANK FECK Very Happy

Post #13995262nd Jan 2015 7:34 pm
therso

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Mine is booked in for 9 Jan but, after reading all of the comments on this thread and LR's own published information, I am still not clear on LR's objective. They claim it is a 'quality' issue. Really? If a 'quality' issue then surely that suggests LR's quality and supplier processes/procedures etc. are not reliable and they are/have providing/provided a substandard product with known safety and reliability issues. This is not a Mean Time Before Failure problem!

This raises the following questions: "When should I use it? How should I use it? For how long? In what conditions? If I am advised to remove it when not towing does that mean when I've sited my caravan and am therefore not towing? What if I am static on a site for several days/weeks in warm, dry weather. Should I remove it or leave it attached, after all there will be no load on it during that period? Following inspection and assuming no defect how can LR guarantee that the identified issue will not occur at some later date? They cannot. If I have a component failure following a positive inspection - an inspection I would have expected to have taken place during vehicle assembly - then what will LR's position be? To date I have had no reason to be concerned about the reliability of my towbar but now I am concerned and will continue to be so post inspection because I will no longer have complete confidence in my towbar regardless of assurances from LR.

The only solution that I can see is to replace ALL detachable towbars with a fixed unit regardless of how it has been employed. The 'fault' is the supplier's problem NOT the customers. Having said all that I will not be surprised if my kit is given the 'all clear' on inspection after all they're not in the business of giving their products away are they? Mmm...we'll see on the 9th.

Post #13995632nd Jan 2015 8:25 pm
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I phoned Colliers birmingham today asked the question & was asked to bring it in 3/1/15 what service update tomorrow Thumbs Up

Post #13995712nd Jan 2015 8:40 pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Siôn wrote:
Had mine looked at by LR and they were unable to do the excessive wear test on mine as the lock on the removable tow bar was completely seized. They need to be able to remove the tow bar to fit the template to check for play.

Completely untrue, and I'm afraid you've been whole-heartedly lied to Rolling Eyes No need to have it removed at all.

Post #13995782nd Jan 2015 8:50 pm
ROY_H

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

If on inspection your tow-bar is given the all-clear, will LR supply a certificate to that effect ?

If the tow-bar subsequently fails will LR be responsible for any damages incurred, on the basis they have certificated the system as safe and fit-for-purpose.

I have used my removable tow-bar for around 2000 miles of towing in 2014 (car purchased July 2014 and tow-bar supplied second-hand by dealer)
I always remove it between uses (including 'on site' after towing the van ) and keep the locking bolt mechanism lubricated. I have not been aware of any movement/looseness so is this as has been said a quality issue with a (hopefully) small percentage of fittings going out-of-tolerance or ending up with the components being at opposite extremes of acceptable tolerance !!
 Morris Dancers: Drinkers with A Dance Problem  
Post #13999543rd Jan 2015 4:30 pm
Wolfpack

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I bought my first D4 MY12 in June2014. It 'came' with the detachable towbar fitted with external signs of age ...so it wasn't newly fitted and probably was fitted from new.

As an aside the LR dealer hadn't removed it while on their stock list....there were several other vehicles with their detachables attached on the forecourt!

Despite being fitted from new it hadn't been used ...the ball still had paint on it.

I didn't know about this issue with detachables wearing and needing to be removed when not in use. I thought the removal was a security reason to avoid it being stolen.

LR never told me to remove it during the handover. Maybe that's too much to expect?

The fact is, I have a tow ball that I have used this autumn to tow a heavy caravan around UK and Europe (c. 4000miles) that has been fixed in situ for 3 years.

So what should be my next step?

The car is due for the MOT this month. Do I remove the ball and leave it off...or should it be fitted for the mot???

Last edited by Wolfpack on 3rd Jan 2015 5:36 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13999983rd Jan 2015 5:29 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If in doubt, get it checked.

Take it off for the MOT if it's going to mean it fails but, obviously, get it sorted if need be. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #14000013rd Jan 2015 5:33 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Wolfpack wrote:

LR never told me to remove it during the handover. Maybe that's too much to expect?

It's fairly clear that LR expected people to know that by definition it is a removable towbar and should be removed after occasional towing ...now they are having to tell you that it's a removable towbar must be removed after occasional towing Thumbs Up

As for liability that some have mentioned ....they will carry out the check and if it passes then it is up to you to make sure that you use it correctly on every occasion from then on. So you would have to prove that the bar was defective.

If it fails then they will replace whatever needs to be replaced.

We need to remember that this bar is type approved ...so has been through all the testing that any other bar goes through and some independent body has said that it has passed the requirement. All VOSA are requiring LR to do in essence is a communication exercise on the basis of the type of towing you do they are not requesting nor suggesting that it is inherently defective and not to be used. Smile
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #14000273rd Jan 2015 6:24 pm
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Well mines as been inspected & the technician says there's exessive movement but he needs to speak to his manager on Monday as he was confused bye the paper work he had as it stated only on the fixed tow bar not the removable one ??? Let's see what Monday brings

Post #14000323rd Jan 2015 6:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 68 <123 456 ... 666768>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >