Q393-Detachable Towbar & LR Letter ***ALL HERE***
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 39 of 68 <123 ... 383940 ... 666768>
CRC@LandRoverVerified Account
Verified Account 

United Kingdom 

Hi Gareth

Thank you for your post.

I note your comments and would be unable to comment regarding this without first speaking to your retailer to confirm their findings in relation to your concern.

Should you wish for me to do so, I would be grateful if you are able to provide me with the following information via PM;

Your full name
Telephone number
Email address
Vehicle registration
Last 6 of VIN
Relevant repairing Land Rover retailer

Regards

Ryan

Post #15127247th Aug 2015 3:56 pm
craig manning

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

I have to say that i would still prefer my m10 grub screw mod than a plastic ratchet. To change the green knob is 100% foolproof, but if you take of the red ring by removing the two screws it has a spring behind it and you can then remove the pinion shaft, i would be very surprised if LR would supply the red ring part because of the possible safety issues. Should if be re assembled incorrectly the green knob may not cover the red ring i.e. lock, or drop in to soon and be able to turn back enough for the whole unit to fall out.

Last edited by craig manning on 9th Aug 2015 8:59 pm. Edited 3 times in total 
Post #15130478th Aug 2015 9:55 am
DaveS

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I am not convinced that fitting the newer plastic parts to a tow bar will make any difference. I have the later model tow bar and mine also works loose after towing a caravan.

Post #15131318th Aug 2015 3:16 pm
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Had mine in today to be checked. Can report all is fine so not work needed. I do however still use my securing plate I got from a previous group buy on here Thumbs Up

Cheers

Andy
 D4 MY15 SE TECH
D3 gone but never forgotten. 

Post #151617715th Aug 2015 10:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chrisjheaton

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I got my letter yesterday asking me to make an appointment to check.........mine has never had a tow bar fitted, what are they going to check?
 2009 spec D3 HSE
GG AT2
Midland 121 CB
D4 LED Black rear lights
D4 Beanie grille
Permagrin 

Post #151617815th Aug 2015 10:18 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Three years ago I supplied LR with information on this, I also provided a video and gave them the information that the green knob was able to rotate even when locked causing the tow bar to come loose and rattle. They agreed to this and supplied a new tow bar under warranty which still works loose and rattles, it has been in several times and each time they still say it is fine, have now received the letter and will book it in again to see what they say.
One final point, if w as "none " experts can find the cause of the issue why cannot he experts find the issue???????
Pete,Ryan?
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #151618915th Aug 2015 10:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
I too got he official tow ball recall letter....

I've been to my local dealer & my "hook" passed. I knew it would ad it was always a tight secure fit
The wording of the letter & the handbook supplement concern me greatly......
1) The "DVLcA requested" after several investigations......were these after the internal bulletin was sent o dealers I wonder? .....was the LandRover initiative of their own volition or part of this initiative ? If it wasn't why the heck didn't they do the right thing themselves ?

2) Then the statement "using the equipment correctly" & "ensuring equipment installed is based on towing needs".....OK using correctly has to refer to nose weight.

3) Then the critical words "if a detachable tow bar is used with excessive nose loads or for commercial towing or the tow bar is not removed when not in use, it can lead to premature and excessive wear of the detachable within the rear crossmember mounting".

So - excessive nose loads are understood...but commercial towing ? What's the difference with say a keen equestrian or boat owner who uses the TowHook once or twice a week ? It could be that a commercial use could be less demanding than a keen Discovery user - using the vehicle as it was intended to be used & bought for - because it's a LandRover. Made for heavy duty use & towing.

Next Point - tow bar not removed when not in use....is it being suggested that having the ball in without a trailer it will jiggle about create fretting corrosion (the red rusty pasty residue some on here have reported)....& wear, become loose ?....if it's the case it wears when it isn't loaded up - then the design concept is wrong....good idea to have an easily removable tow hook but the actual "joint" wasn't thought out considering all its uses (& abuses)

My immediate thoughts are that the whole thing just isn't fit for purpose & should have been recalled......the risk of an individual tow hook failing catastrophically (which has happened) is far greater an issue product liability wise than sitting on a known issue, doing a half hearted internal memo resolution & letting the "occasional use" thought leak out & trickle down. To me quite wrong.
Is it also a lack of rigorous product testing of this official LandRover accessory for some OEM fitted part for others.
OK a windscreen wiper makes a noise....you live with it.....a sunroof part cracks...maybe the roof jams on opening or closing..... Change out or repair.
A tow ball failing.....is or could be catastrophic & cause injury or loss of life. Serious Stuff. The litigation potential for those & places that are litigation active are horrendous.

But there you go.

What has also rattled me is the free vehicle health check conducted by the dealers workshop....an interesting document....
Tyres 60%.... A bit of wear here some deterioration there OK
Brake pipes corroded ? WHAT.....
These were flagged up a year ago & swapped out (at another garage that had realistic costs with other work)

The mechanic went back to check the other mechanics check out...
The answer was " as it was on a previous health check it will appear on any further health check until it's resolved by them"..... My answer to this was "why this wasn't told to me before the health check form presented to me"..... The health check conducted & the document issued to me is incorrect as the mechanic either didn't look, made a mistake (some mistake) or the system used by the dealer radically flawed.

The interesting point is the tow ball inspection & health check done at 1600hrs...
My Discover passed its MOT at 0930 that day......different garage.....no advisories in fact the tester commented on the copper pipes & neatness of fitting. More than an anomaly or coincidence.

I wonder now about the judgement & quality of my tow ball check. Worried.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #151731618th Aug 2015 9:15 pm
focus340

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I also got picked up for corroded rear brake pipes and had an MOT without any observations done two weeks prior. Got underneath and checked them myself and they seemed perfectly fine. So that was a random one.

Was secretly gutted they didn't find anything wrong with mine as I wanted the peace of mind when towing my 2T track car/trailer combo. Still want that piece of mind so will fork out for a fixed bar over the winter.
 Ted

D3 HSE | 19" GG AT3 | Mantec Sump Guard | Front Runner Rack | LR ladder | F+R Light Guards | EGR blanked | Decat | RS500 Intercooler | Tuff Trek TT-H1 awning | T Maxx Split Charge | IID Tool | Prospeed rock & tree sliders | V8 Front brakes 

Post #151741419th Aug 2015 4:06 am
DDDad

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

To avoid going Off Topic I've put my comment about brake pipes here: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post1517473.html#1517473 8)

You know, if Land Rover offered to permanently weld/epoxy-metal my detachable tow-bar into place, before it developed significant wear, I'd be perfectly happy. Laughing So long as you could still take the bumper, off, when necessary. Laughing
 Went for a job as a human cannonball. Not the right calibre.  
Post #151747619th Aug 2015 10:32 am
Ambo

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Had mine checked today, no issues, health check ok. Should be, this disco just does not realise how much care and attention is lavished on it! Best half a divorce settlement I have ever spent! Laughing
 Nick
2009 D3 SE
Isle of Wight Steam Railway 

Post #151758719th Aug 2015 4:26 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Re: I too got he official tow ball recall letter....

BLFarrar wrote:

What has also rattled me is the free vehicle health check conducted by the dealers workshop....an interesting document....
Tyres 60%.... A bit of wear here some deterioration there OK
Brake pipes corroded ? WHAT.....
These were flagged up a year ago & swapped out (at another garage that had realistic costs with other work)

The mechanic went back to check the other mechanics check out...
The answer was " as it was on a previous health check it will appear on any further health check until it's resolved by them"..... My answer to this was "why this wasn't told to me before the health check form presented to me"..... The health check conducted & the document issued to me is incorrect as the mechanic either didn't look, made a mistake (some mistake) or the system used by the dealer radically flawed.

The interesting point is the tow ball inspection & health check done at 1600hrs...
My Discover passed its MOT at 0930 that day......different garage.....no advisories in fact the tester commented on the copper pipes & neatness of fitting. More than an anomaly or coincidence.

I wonder now about the judgement & quality of my tow ball check. Worried.

I contacted the dealer after they sent me the satisfaction email
stated my concerns....if the health check is something they are supposed to do (by law they said)
it ought to be accurate.
To be fair they have come back to me & said they were wrong.....their systems & mechanics not actually looking..the health check was based on data gained when vehicle on hoist seen at the last service over 12 months ago.
This is why I use my indie for serious tasks. 'nuff said.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #151768719th Aug 2015 8:22 pm
Lukey

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Took my Disco D4 in for its B service on 21/8 to Stratstones, Newport Pagnell. (now Lancasters, taken over) the Q393 whatever was going to be done and any rectifications carried out FOC. Sods law I'd taken tow hitch out so they couldn't check. However, today received letter telling me to book it in, somethings working. Smile

Post #151945424th Aug 2015 1:01 pm
Discologist

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Re: I too got he official tow ball recall letter....

[quote="BLFarrar"]
BLFarrar wrote:
...their systems & mechanics not actually looking..the health check was based on data gained when vehicle on hoist seen at the last service over 12 months ago.

In what way is that a 'health check' of any description? A note based on 12 month old data not backed up by either a visual inspection or questions to the owner (i.e. 'have you had these fixed since last year mate?')?

Post #151946024th Aug 2015 1:16 pm
Redgull

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

ok, just want to state a few facts ,just came back from the south of france yesterday, i tow a bailey caravan, just over 1 ton ,.i got my letter 1 day before i left,first fitted the LR towbar and it was a nice tight fit,left for france on certain bumpy roads i heard knocking,,half way down south we had our first stop, the towbar was unbelievably loosehalf inch either side, thought it was commng off!!took off refitted again tight !!next stop loose again, refitted again tight, this time i gave it a hit with my palm sideon and it came loose!,this thing was locked on with key out,i could turn the green knob backwards and it will nearly come out!!! i had to complete my trip knowing this could come off at anytime, Shocked i am going to landrover in lewes on saturday, if it passes the test i will be asking for a letter signed by someone stating that its safe, then when it comes off and hurts someone i can use the letter in court!!! hope it does not come to this and there is a simple awnser or fix, spent my 2 week holiday thinking if or how i was going to get it home, keep you posted

Post #151964224th Aug 2015 7:26 pm
Garysdisco

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

We visited Lloyds in Carlisle last week for the Free visual health check,
I've used the detachable tow bar occasionally over the last 8 years with
an intermittent rattle.
I was reassured all was well. Let's hope they got it right.
 D4 HSE Lux,corris grey.
D3-2006 Metropolis.
Silver.
Black leather.
Lots of toys. 

Post #151966024th Aug 2015 8:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 39 of 68 <123 ... 383940 ... 666768>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >