Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Q393-Detachable Towbar & LR Letter ***ALL HERE***
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 19 of 68 <123 ... 181920 ... 666768>
fisherman

Wales 

I may be into fishnets and boob tubes, I may not. Snigger
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #141232622nd Jan 2015 2:23 pm
fisherman

Wales 

Car collected all clean and shiny. No sticker or supplementary for the handbook. Clean bill of health for the tow bar.
I'm glad it's all ok coz I do prefer the detachable jobbie out of choice. I will remove it when not towing and treat it with care going forward. Thumbs Up

I had a FL2 GS as a loaner and was impressed how quick it seemed. Seats were comfy but my left knee is bruised from the centre console rubbing against it. Couldn't live with it.
Glad to be home. Very Happy
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!

Post #141241422nd Jan 2015 5:36 pm
JDL110

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 4
Disc 4 Detachable Tow Hitch

I took my Disco 4 into a local LR dealership to have a check up before the Warranty runs out.

When I went to collect it back I was told that I would need to bring it back on 28/01/15 to have a new tow
hitch fitting as it needed replacing but at that time they could not get it the towing ball into detach from the Hitch !!!

I received an e-mail from the dealership yesterday (21/01/15) stating that Land Rover have suspended the campaign to check/replace detachable Towing Hitch's until further notice, so the dealership will be unable to do anything with my tow bar at present until Land Rover instruct them otherwise Big Cry

Regards

Jim

Post #141241622nd Jan 2015 5:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fisherman

Wales 

For what it's worth Jim, the service action will be reinstated very soon according to Pete at LR so there may only be a short wait until they give you a shout.
Thumbs Up

Post #141244022nd Jan 2015 6:23 pm
JDL110

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Fisherman,

Thanks for the info. I will wait to see if the local LR dealership contacts me ref the tow bar.

Wife will not be towing her Horse around with the Disco till its sorted!

Regards

Jim

Post #141282823rd Jan 2015 11:11 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Wolfpack

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Disc 4 Detachable Tow Hitch

JDL110 wrote:
I took my Disco 4 into a local LR dealership to have a check up before the Warranty runs out.

When I went to collect it back I was told that I would need to bring it back on 28/01/15 to have a new tow
hitch fitting as it needed replacing but at that time they could not get it the towing ball into detach from the Hitch !!!

I received an e-mail from the dealership yesterday (21/01/15) stating that Land Rover have suspended the campaign to check/replace detachable Towing Hitch's until further notice, so the dealership will be unable to do anything with my tow bar at present until Land Rover instruct them otherwise Big Cry

Regards

Jim

As a matter of interest, what have you been towing for the towbar to need replacement so soon, before the warranty ends? What loads and frequency? Has it been left in situ from new?
I ask, not out of nosiness, but it may offer some dimension as to the suitability of a detachable towbar.

Post #141285223rd Jan 2015 11:59 am
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Quote:
Car collected all clean and shiny. No sticker or supplementary for the handbook. Clean bill of health for the tow bar.

I was under the impression that if the towbar was checked and found to OK, a sticker was fitted and a supplement put into the handbook for guidance for future use ?

Post #141287523rd Jan 2015 12:29 pm
fisherman

Wales 

I had mine looked at whilst the service action was suspended. Therefore the dealers didn't follow the instructions in the service action and carried out tests as prescribed by Pete@landrover. They gave it the all clear and emailed me to confirm as such (Printed off in the file marked Money pit errr I mean D4).
So I'm happy to carry on as I was but will maintain the tow bar properly in future.

Post #141292823rd Jan 2015 1:53 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Thumbs Up

Post #141303523rd Jan 2015 4:22 pm
JDL110

Re: Disc 4 Detachable Tow Hitch

Wolfpack wrote:
JDL110 wrote:

Regards

Jim

As a matter of interest, what have you been towing for the towbar to need replacement so soon, before the warranty ends? What loads and frequency? Has it been left in situ from new?
I ask, not out of nosiness, but it may offer some dimension as to the suitability of a detachable towbar.

Hi Wolfpack,

I haven't towed anything yet !
As the Disco Warranty is due to run out 01.02.15. and needed an MOT the local LR dealership told me to bring it in, so they could do the MOT and carry out any works that were covered by the Warranty Cover.
When I when to pick the Disco up, they told me it had pass the MOT that they had done some updates to the vehicle ? But they needed to change the Tow bar but were unable to detach it at that time and asked me to bring it back on the 28th Jan. I then received the e-mail informing me that LR had suspended the
two bar check until further notice so not to bring it in on the 28th Jan.

That's the state of Play at the moment ?. Would it be unwise to use the vehicle for towing until it is confirm that the existing towing equipment is safe and in good order to use ???

Regards

Jim

Post #141309023rd Jan 2015 5:31 pm
Sloss

Scotland 

doz wrote:
Sloss wrote:
The reason for taking the TB off is a corrosion mechanism called crevice corrosion.

That particular type take place, you guessed it, in a crevice, and, with the right conditions can be much faster than open air corrosion.

In a crevice such as the TB fitting there is moisture, oxygen and steel, the 3 things you need to get corrosion going really well.

May I ask where you obtained this information? I'm only asking because that wasn't the reason I was given for it being withdrawn. I was told it was issues dealers were having with bars which couldn't be removed and lost keys.

Hi Doz,

I'm an Integrity/Corrosion Engineer and work on similar problems every day. THe moist, close proximity conditions in a crevice are ideal for a galvanic circuit to form and hence really good, fast corrosion.

Greasing excludes the moisture and the oxygen so that's 2 of the 3 things removed in one operation so no more rot. It also lubes the pin mechanism and lock etc so a bonus too Thumbs Up

I hope that explains it a bit more.
 Stew,

2010 D4 gone but I really loved it
Went back to Merc - C350 AMG 

Post #141318623rd Jan 2015 8:00 pm
doz

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Cheers, i thought it had come from LR which was different to what I was told. Corrosion as one of the things I initially looked for. I'm an old hand NDT both aerospace and petrolchem. Mine looks good in that respect.

Post #141320823rd Jan 2015 8:29 pm
Sloss

Scotland 

Thumbs Up
 Stew,

2010 D4 gone but I really loved it
Went back to Merc - C350 AMG 

Post #141321423rd Jan 2015 8:37 pm
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Tow bar recall

Well I had mine checked was called to say it needed rechecking with tool, got a call to say recall suspended called customer services 7 calls later continue to visit dealer today, and it failed to be called next week for a new crossmember & fixed tow bar to be fitted at LR's expense will update after phone call Thumbs Up

Post #141352024th Jan 2015 1:35 pm
jc_uk

United Kingdom 

Hi all,

Mine has been 'loose' for ages/years.

reported it to JLR Customer relations back in 2012 and was told by email 'As far as I am aware, there is no stipulation that the tow bars are designed for occasional use'
The tow bar itself looks fine, it looks like the metal on the mount that is failing/wearing.

Where/how do I get LR to fit the replacement?
Do I get to keep the lightweight detachable tow bar, or hand it in to the dealer to scrap?

Have LR redesigned the mounting point on the later cars to avoid this issue?

Had a similar set up on a BMW 5 series touring before the LR, and no such problems......

Cheers
JC

Post #141408725th Jan 2015 2:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 19 of 68 <123 ... 181920 ... 666768>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >