Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Ceekay

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Cheers Pal Thumbs Up
 D4 HSE Lux MY16 Club Waitomo
D3 HSE MY06 missing her still… 

Post #142649114th Feb 2015 8:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I had to cut some of the existing plastic and drill some new holes in the remaining plastic before I added negative spacers to fit the LED fogs.

PS. IIRC I managed to secure each fog with 3 of the 4 mounting points this way.
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #142652714th Feb 2015 9:10 pm
Ceekay

Thanks nighthawk
Did you cut some of the larger plastic mounting point in order to centre it abit more? Not sure how you got 3 mounting points if I have the lamp the the correct way up with the Osram sign at the bottom with lamp parallel there is not plastic for 2 of the mounting positions on the Osram lamp hence why I was attempting to make offset brackets?

Post #142666915th Feb 2015 1:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nighthawk

Unfortunately I don't recall all the details. I was taking photos before I got to the part which involved fitting the lights. I stopped taking photos because I realised it's going to be harder than I thought, and it was getting dark so wanted to speed up to finish (I had a little bit more work to do, as my D3 did not have fog lights, so I had to cut the hole in the bumper too)

What I do remember is that the dremel tool worked a fair bit and rendered the mod irreversible. I know I cut off the "structures" which hold the captive nut in place the original installation in order to allow me to place my negative spacers. It is entirely possible that I'm using just 2 mounting points. I will remove one of the bezels and check and let you know.

They've been mounted for a year now, so even if mounted at just 2 points they are pretty secure Thumbs Up
 Dennis

Post #142673715th Feb 2015 10:29 am
Ceekay

Appreciate that Nighthawk.
Perhaps if you have cut out the openings from fresh you are able to leave more plastic available for mounting. I could cut off the re-enforcing plastic bits at the back of the clip mounts but might be difficult with the bumper on and then I would have flat plastic to space off as much as I wish to keep the unit off the cowls and pack it so the light stays pointing straight. I would still have 2 mounting floating though and was hoping to get at least 3 otherwise the unit pivots slightly on the 2 points though I would assume the cowl would stop any movement if fitted tightly just wanted it solid really before and obviously fairly straight so they were actually useful as fogs and not bringing planes down Laughing

Post #142680715th Feb 2015 12:37 pm
Ceekay

Big Cry
Mikey and nighthawk have forgotten me !

Post #142865918th Feb 2015 11:03 am
nighthawk

Sorry buddy Embarassed

I really did forget to check, but with a pregnant wife, the house undergoing a major overhaul and my full time job and part time job to top it all off I've got too much on my mind Mr. Green

I promise I will have a quick look and snap a quick pic with my phone tomorrow.

One thing I can tell you now... start researching how to remove the front bumper because in my opinion it is probably impossible to do with the bumper in place. It is pretty easy to remove (took me around 30 minutes first time, working alone).

As for the hole I cut, it has nothing to do with the mounting points. I do have pics of me half way through the job, I then stopped taking pics when i noticed things were getting a bit harder than I expected. But in the end I did manage to get everything centered and lined up correctly, so don't worry it is possible Wink What I can tell you is that vertical U shaped pieces of plastic around the mounting holes (that hold the original captive nuts in place, clearly visible in the 2nd pic) were cut off completely flat using a dremel tool, then I drilled a couple of new holes in the flat plastic (to align the lights better, because as you say they're not perfectly straight if you try to use the existing holes) and fit the negative spacers.

Hope this helps!
 Dennis

Post #142896518th Feb 2015 8:27 pm
Ceekay

Yeah but what you gonna do in the afternoon Whistle

Pics are a great help pal as I can see the rear of the existing mounting points like you say that we're dremeled off. I wasn't going to take my bumper off because it's an HSE and already has fogs fitted so was trying to avoid but it may be easier to line up like you say. I am thinking of making a aluminium ring that will either sit on the existing mount bits or on the negative washers then I will be able to bolt the new lamps wherever the mounting points fall. The mounting points do seem to be in the same place though so still not sure how you managed to get 3 even if you drilled a new one Question

Like you say I'd better look at removing bumper Thumbs Up

Post #142913519th Feb 2015 12:30 am
county x classic

Belgium 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi everyone,

just bought me a pair of these Osram ledriving fog lights but is there someone who can tel me which cable of the leddriving set I should solder to wich cable (cable-color/location)

I made a little summary, someone with some knowledge could correct it or fill it in?

Click image to enlarge

Post #142923319th Feb 2015 10:30 am
nighthawk

I soldered to the cables at the connector which plugs into the headlight.

Always confirm with a multimeter before tapping into any existing cables, but this is what I gathered from the electrical wiring diagrams when I was doing the job.

Sidelight cables are red/orange on the right hand side, and red/black on the left hand side. You only need to tap in to 1 of these (cable 6 from the osram box).

cable 5 goes to an ignition switched fuse in the fuse box in the battery box.

I did not connect turn signal lights (cables 7 and 8), but IIRC these are green/white on the right hand side and red/green on the left.

cable 2 and 4 both go to negative battery terminal.
cable 1 goes to positive battery terminal.

IIRC cables 9 and 10 are a together in a connector and these connect to the existing fog light wiring loom (coming from the switch in the cab) at the plug/socket behind the driver's side headlamp unit.
 Dennis

Post #142924319th Feb 2015 11:10 am
county x classic

Thank you nighthawk,

I will already adapt my schedule, afterwards I will mount them myself using the schedule and then confirm the correct schedule so other people can just print the schedule making it more easy for everybody.

Regards

Post #142925919th Feb 2015 11:47 am
county x classic

Updated my schedule and will do the job myself this afternoon, confirmation this evening...
Click image to enlarge

Post #143044221st Feb 2015 11:57 am
nighthawk

Yes please do confirm the colors as I did this job almost 1 year ago so that info I gave you is from some rough notes I had lying around on my laptop. More so with the indicators which I did not even connect Wink

And also remember you only need to tap into 1 side light. Whichever is easiest, presumably the side where the OSRAM box will be mounted Thumbs Up
 Dennis

Post #143047521st Feb 2015 1:07 pm
county x classic

Hereby I can conform the information we received from nighthawk Very Happy

Post #143070421st Feb 2015 8:55 pm
Ceekay

Can I just confirm that if you wire number 4 to permanent positive instead of permanent negative that the DRL's stay on when your lights come on but dim to 80% of full brightness? Also I was going to use my aux battery as it will be closer the mounting point behind the drivers side headlight but is it then still ok to use the switched live from the same place as stated as it will be using both batteries? Can't really mount it on the other side as the FBH is around there. Not really planning on using the indicator or the cornering lights at this time as already have them.
Thumbs Up

Last edited by Ceekay on 24th Feb 2015 10:27 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #143212624th Feb 2015 12:34 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >