Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Broken down in France no fuel pressure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
cmyers_uk

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Does anybody know the ballpark figure for getting the body off and anybody in the Bristol area who has done it before and knows what they are doing? I'm still in the gutted faze . How hard is it to take the body off ? Obviously I assume you need some special lifting gear
Regards
Chris

Post #13227979th Aug 2014 8:58 pm
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

2 post ramp and around 4hrs (I heard Disco_Mikey say that Razz )

Post #13228199th Aug 2014 9:16 pm
cmyers_uk

So that will be 4hrs off , 4hrs back on? Just need to find somebody in Bristol Area who can do the job or is this really a main dealer only job?

Also are we sure you can't take the engine our from the front. It has to be body off. The Garage over here , (3rd hand from RAC tech) was saying they would take the heads off. Ive no idea as you can tell.

Just want to get the car home or at least find out its all covered by RAC insurance.

Cheers for all the help its really appreciated
Regards
Chris

Post #132324610th Aug 2014 6:24 pm
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Sorry for you news Sad the bold had sheared on mine about 10 mm back in to the head Big Cry it's Defo a body of , I had to drill it out and helly coil it Thumbs Up its frightening thought but not to bad when you get in to it , if you search you might find all my pics from when I done mine Thumbs Up I would Defo consider getting disco Micky to do it Bow down Thumbs Up
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #132325310th Aug 2014 6:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

cmyers_uk wrote:
Also are we sure you can't take the engine our from the front. It has to be body off. The Garage over here , (3rd hand from RAC tech) was saying they would take the heads off. Ive no idea as you can tell.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Whilst it is possible to get the engine out the front it is a mammoth task and in all the years of the forum I only know one who did it this way. Unless you are a keyhole surgeon crossed with ninja mechanic then forget it. With a 2 post lift getting the body off is quick and easy - it is the way the car was designed. There are even how-to guides on here to lift the body as a DIY job. One forum member even dispensed with the lift and raised the body with forklifts(!). In D3 / RRS land getting the body off is a matter of routine.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #132326010th Aug 2014 6:54 pm
captaindarling13

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Chris, I'm having to get my car back to UK via rac. Repatriation is at rac discretion as their preference is to get you home and then return to France as and when your car is ready, though persevere with your request and they should come good. Firstly they said they would arrange it but not pay for it, but a chat with supervisor sorted that one. Downside now is they are saying up to 3 weeks for car delivery! Good luck.

Post #132381112th Aug 2014 7:20 am
cmyers_uk

I had no issues at all getting it repatriated as they couldn't find any garage to do the job before I left . I can't fault them really I will be bang on the limit of 3k by the time they have done all the hire cars and hotel at Calais. That said it was the help of the forum members and achim in particular that enabled me to prove the 1st garage doubled as a front for the mafia trying to extort money for a pump that hadn't failed.

As you say though takes 10-14days for mine from next Thursday just working with another forum member to get the work done when it comes over

Hope it goes smoothly and yours does to !

Regards
Chris
P.s. I'm sure there will be more twists and turns before this is over 😀

Post #132388112th Aug 2014 10:44 am
cmyers_uk

I've actually seen the car and issue hurrah ! Unfortunately looks like my fault when I changed hpfp belt. The bolt was stripped and the thread in hole damaged. The tensioner had come undone and off hence no belt or fuel pressure. Live and learn . RAC have been excellent. The comms at time were not good but behind the scenes they had done everything. Once they found they could txt me all wAs good now the two week wait for the car. I've found localish Indy to do the work from forum .

Thanks all for help , support , comments and advice. Pic below of stripped thread and part that broke.

Lessons learnt , no garage works between 12 and 2 in France , always double check prices, but most of all dispite no space somehow get a torque wrench in there 😃

Regards

Chris

Post #132514015th Aug 2014 9:27 am
Iguana

Ukraine 

Hi Chris,

There was a Garage on eBay based in Derby that quoted £300 (staring price) for body off including VAT and a loan of a car while they had the Disco...Again this was just for pulling off and replacing the body. Here's the link to the auction that's now ended - No idea if this is a good price or not:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Landrover-Discov...7675.l2557

Thought that may give you an idea, I know you're in the Bristol area, but at least gives you a rough price. There are a few garages in Bristol that may do it, if you want I can ring around and see what price they'd do it for.

Let me know and good luck getting back etc Thumbs Up
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #132519815th Aug 2014 12:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >