Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Preheater Fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Neil R

Preheater Fault

Hi

I have been to another local dealer today and they confirmed that the pre heater/cooler does not work as it has a timer fault which will soon be fixed with a software update.

Just thought you might like to know.

Post #4816th Dec 2004 6:09 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Excellent!

Did your dealer confirm this to you? My dealer has been all but useless on this. They have not even returned my calls to apologise for not having an answer!

Post #5017th Dec 2004 9:47 am
Neil R

Hi Yes

it was confirmed by a sales guy at Guy Salmon Leeds

Neil

Post #5117th Dec 2004 10:24 am
Big Al

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Hi I too have heard from my dealer that the preheater isn't able to be timed at present, however they suggest something different that it will be a cost item later on, requiring new firmware to support this, rather than being included as standard.

They suggested that the timer for the preheater unit and cabin pre-warming would require additional cost, maybe even to Webasto rather than LR? It seems like some form of royalty payment, to use the unit.

I have a TDV6 HSE, which is a superb car, but I do hope that with all this onboard software that LR dont join the rest of the computer industry and enforce pay per product. My D3 costs £43k, with a whole raft oy toys onboard, and as the preheater is already there, and so is the control in the settings menu, although non-functional!, then we should not have to purchase additional "credits/patches" just to have the timer work upon the preheater.

Post #26621st Jan 2005 4:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I totally agree with you. I am starting to press my dealer quite hard on this issue now. I feel that they have been fobbing me off recently about this, probably because LR are fobbing them off also, but at the end of the day, the dealer is the contact point.

I think some carefully targeted letters will be aimed at Land Rover soon

Post #26721st Jan 2005 5:02 pm
Big Al

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Garath,

If you find out anything, I would love to know more and what your dealer has to say about this. It's pretty damn cold down here in Wiltshire and it would be luxury to be able to come out and get into a nice pre-warmed car. Not to mention the savings in the engined already been brought upto temperature and as such the running costs would go down.

I've just taken a look under the bonet, I presume the silver "sandwich tin" is the preheater. It has no markings on it but my dealer informs me that it is from Webasto, as the RangeRover too has the same unit, and theirs comes as standard!!!!

Post #26821st Jan 2005 5:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Don't worry, as soon as I do find anything out, the world will know.

Yes is is the aluminium sandwich tin at the front of the engine, made by Webasto.

Post #27021st Jan 2005 5:11 pm
Neil R

Hi All

is there any chance of at least getting a remote control for the unit like the range rover. if not from landrover what about Wabasto, At least I could switch it on when i wake up in a morning.

Neil

Post #27421st Jan 2005 5:16 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have just phoned the dealer again, and got the same answer "can we phone you back sir?", to which I said no way, I want to hold because they were supposed to phone me back yesterday!

5 Minutes holding, and got to speak to the salesman who sold me the car. I explained that I was getting no real answers except "jam tommorrow" software fixes etc. He was very apologetic, and has PROMISED to find out the genuine story and let me know Monday morning at 9AM.

Post #27521st Jan 2005 5:27 pm
Ecosse

Gareth - well done in your stand against the dealer!! The minor faults users are finding are not my main issue - it is the total lack of quality customer service from LR in dealing with the issue & they are going to find out the hard way through lost customers just how important communicating with your customer base is.

Post #27621st Jan 2005 5:40 pm
DiscoDuck

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Here is what I have posted on another forum!

"I have got the same problem - here is what I have found out so far...

The heater comes on when the engine is started if outside temp is 5deg or less and engine temp is less than 75deg.

Cabin pre Heat mode starts if I set it, then turn off the ignition and then turn on the radio by pushing the volume knob, this keeps the computer and data bus alive and it starts shortly after the set time. It does a good job of heating the cabin and the engine temp is half way to normal temp in half an hour. It only functions if outside temp is 8deg or less, but it does not work every time for a reason I cannot workout but better than 50%" ( It now seems to work every time now!)

"After much badgering of LR and the dealer they have admitted the is a software fault. They said check back mid Jan to see if their update software is available. I suspect the timer is not waking up the data bus to sent a start signal to the Webasto. LR have been appalling at providing any suport to the dealer or the customer. With a complex car I think they need to rethink this area, Website etc as the handbook is incomplete.

LR let slip the "Landrover" button could be programed for an instant start when you look out of bedroom window and see frost! this would be a great feature! but we will have to wait

Webasto do do a remote called T80 (T90 when sold by LR for Range Rover and Freelander) but the pin on the 8 way plug used by their module has been taken by a red wire in Disco3 (pin 2 on the webasto 8 way conector) this remote has a range of 1km! Webasto are looking into how their remote could function.

http://www.drive-in-comfort.com/v_nutzen/b...dex_en.php"

"I have just had word back from my LR dealer who have spoken to LR technical about the software update to fix the cabin pre-heater. The reply "Enginering are not working on this problem at the moment and there is no prospect of them doing so in the near future"

I am so amazed at this response I do not know what to say next!"

"I have now had a response to the above from LR customer services who say "Enginering are working on it as a software update and will write to customers when it is available, as yet no timescale anounced"

Are they saying the same thing in a more customer friendly way?

Or am I cynical? "

Post #29223rd Jan 2005 9:50 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Bl@@dy hell!!!!

Lets see what version my dealer gives me when he phones me at 9 am tomorrow. Now, if he fails to phone me........... I will be very cross Evil or Very Mad

Post #29323rd Jan 2005 10:01 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Well blow me down! it works!

I just been out and tried this, and lo and behold the heater came on at the set time.

Obviously this is not as it should be, but it does prove a point. I don't know if this will work overnight though, as I think the radio turns off after so long, does'nt it?

Its going to be frosty tonight, so i will set it for 8am and see what happens.

Post #29423rd Jan 2005 10:15 pm
Neil R

Hi

so do you have to leave the radio on all night ???

What impact does this have on the battery ??

Any news on a remote for the heater ??

Cheers Neil

Post #29523rd Jan 2005 11:35 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Well i've just set mine for 07:45 and left the radio on, volume at 0. The radio display is on, and I don't know if the system will shut down automatically anyway. I will let you know in the morning.

I tried this out earlier this evening. The outside temp was 3 degrees c, the car had been standidng for 5 hours, I set it up to come on 15 minutes hence, and it came on.

Went out to vehicle after 30 minutes, and got in. Very Very nice Very Happy It had turned on the face vent blower, and it was blowing very warm air.

Post #29623rd Jan 2005 11:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >