Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Preheater Fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
scorpio

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

We have a tdv6 auto s built 03/05 and it has a FBh and the settings are in the menu but not sure if it works as it should will have a play today and see.

Post #33339th May 2005 12:11 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Leave it until the morning, as the air temp must be below 6 degrees for it to work at all. The forecast for tonight is cold all over the country.

If it is cold in the morning, I usually go out to the car at 07:30, 30 minutes before I want to drive away. I turn on the ignition and set the pre-heat on, and the timer to the next available 15 minute interval (usually 07:45). I press the end of the stalk to exit the menu, and switch off the ignition. The red pre-heat lamp flashes. I remove the key, and then switch the radio on. Get out and lock the door.

Go inside and have your breakfast. By the time 08:00 comes around, it should be cooking well! (the car not the breakfast!) If it is'nt, its probably too warm anyway.

It takes a minute or so for the heater to fire up after the set time. It makes a fair bit of noise and smoke and it stinks of diesel.

I am repeating these instructions as there are a lot of new members on here who were not owners when we were in the depths of winter pulling our hair out with this issue.

This will demonstrate to any new owners that the FBH system works perfectly well, it is the timer that is useless. The radio keeps the timer awake. You can't leave the radio on all night though, as it will turn itself off.

Hopefully tonight weather permitting, we may have some more owners who can goto their dealers and show them the above intructions. The more people that know about the existence of this feature the better. It will then be harder for Land Rover to take it away.

Or on the other hand, maybe their is now someone out there who can pick up on this technically and tell us exactly what is wrong with the timer. I mean we can now put DVD on the touch screen relatively easily, so who knows?

Post #33379th May 2005 2:36 pm
DiscoDuck

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

FBH works up to 8deg on mine!
 D4 HSE
Blue 

Post #33399th May 2005 5:01 pm
woodman438

dvd on touchscreen is easy????

working it out was hard you know!!!!

Razz Razz Razz Razz

Post #33599th May 2005 11:13 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Razz You make it sound so simple!

Seriously - Well done.

Post #33609th May 2005 11:16 pm
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Any stats on how much fuel the fbh uses per half hour ?
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #336510th May 2005 8:00 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think I read on Webasto's website its about a pint per hour.

Post #337210th May 2005 4:24 pm
scorpio

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Well the FBH works well using that little trick, just could do with a way of making it work normally now.

Post #338511th May 2005 1:05 pm
woodman438

electrical theory!

ok chaps, here are my thoughts on the timer issue!

I believe it to be an electrical wiring problem, my reasons for this are as follows:

There is a circuit used in the car called ACC (Accessory), which is actually electronically controlled. This can be made to work by either switching on the ignition to position No.1 or turning the radio on.

I monitored this circuit from the connector on the rear of the touchscreen when i was trying to work out the DVD Video thingy. As it happens i actually use the feed from the back of the screen to power my Road Angel speed camera detector.

When activated (by key or radio) the ACC circuit is +12v which stays alive for about 3 mins after you either switch the radio or key off.

So my thoughts are is that the Timer module (or whatever it is) has 3 power connections to it. They are Gnd, 12v Batt, 12v ACC. The 12v Batt is to keep the memory alive (just like in a aftermarket headunit so it remembers the radio presets) and the 12v ACC is the bit that actual makes the timer ALIVE (just like when the radio comes on when you put the key in the ignition.

So the solution? Well its only a theory but if you know where the timer module is, i reckon if you disconnect the 12v ACC supply and Y-split it with the perminant 12V batt supply you should be all sorted!

I think someone has mentioned before about the radio "keeping the bus alive" - its the same idea, but just not as complicated!

Anyone follow this? Wanna have a go? Let me know where the timer module is?

Woodman

Further thought: To prove this, you could try setting the heater for say 10:15 but turn the radio off at 10:14 and get out and lock the car. If the heater works then its deff on the right track!

Post #346615th May 2005 8:04 pm
Locki

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Hi,

some days ago I got an answer from an LR engineer that till end ot this year the pre heater will work correct in all new cars and that there will be an update for old ones.

Lets see ...

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Post #346715th May 2005 8:16 pm
vito

Does anybody know if the pre-heater is a standard feature for all markets, or it is restricted to cold climate areas only (for TDV6SE model).
Thanks.

Post #354919th May 2005 8:09 pm
grommet

United States 

vito, not sure about every market... there are many. The "supplemental fuel-burning heater" (pre-heater) is intended to be a basic feature for any diesel fitted Discovery 3s in "cold weather markets." But it's possible they all have it.

Post #355320th May 2005 5:00 am
Blue

My TDV6 HSE in delivery now has the heater, here in Spain. Software version 8, and appears in the settings menu.

Blue

Post #358421st May 2005 8:06 am
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Question ? How do you know the software version ?
 ..............Somewhere in-between my old D3 and what's to come next .........  
Post #358621st May 2005 8:59 am
Blue

Regarding the version, I asked the technician while he had the T4 for hooked up for diagnostics, and he didn't know. He went back to his office to check, and he then told me. Either the version doesn't appear in the configuration files downloaded from the car, or the man didn't know how to find it.

Blue

Post #358921st May 2005 9:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >