Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Windy Corner

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Julian,

No the larger one won't fit in the footwell

Rik
 Discovery 4 HSE SDV6 Baltic Blue
Discovery 3 S TDV6 Zambezi Silver - Now gone........
Leicestershire & Rutland 4x4 Response 

Post #79605413th May 2011 10:38 am
jsamuelson

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Quote:
Here's a list of Do's and Don't to bear in mind when you're lifting your serious bit of kit that you don't quite know how the suspension works on it....
- Do come on here and declare you are about to go on a big job (and yes I do know what I big job is, I used to be a lumberjack in the Sahara Forest)
- Don't forget you'll need a measuring tape clipped on one side of your trouser belt to balance out the mobile phone clipped on the left side of your belt.
- Do keep the missus well informed of your progress, and make sure she brings you cups of tea as and when needed.
- Don't forget to wear a high-vis jacket (local logistics company logo on the back is optional) so everyone knows you're "workin' hard doin' man stuff"
- Don't forget to phone people regularly during your big job. It sounds good when you can say phrases like "just torqued 'er up" or "I had to go for the BIG hammer" within earshot of the kids who will undoubtedly be impressed
- Do think about your skin, barrier cream and latex gloves are a must. If no family members have been in hospital recently and allowed you the opportunity to fill you pockets while visiting with the "free" ones they have there (Large size, of course) then grab the missus' marigolds. She can do the dishes bareback for a while

Rolling with laughter

Post #79606313th May 2011 10:58 am
andy4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I bought a wolf one as previously said from eBay.no expert but seems a good bit of kit and has a high lift.£50

Post #79607913th May 2011 11:54 am
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
I think I have the same baby trolley but rated at 1800 kgs

Windy Corner wrote:
Julian, DON'T buy the QL jack, I did and regretted it. The frame twists so easily and machine mart wouldn't entertain a claim for it, I ended up buying the proper 3 tonne one. If you look in my gallery, there is a picture of the two side by side. Ask yourself, if the big one is rated for 3T why should the small one be as well ?? Rik
For what it is worth, I have the same baby jack, at least it looks the same - has the same yellow handle and looks weak.

When changing a tire at home, I use a 2.5 ton trolley like your Clarke to lift the frame up enough to take the weight off the tyre/wheel and then slide the baby trolley jack under the wheel A arm and lift the arm such that the bottom of the tyre sits about an inch above the ground level. I find putting the new tyre on less difficult as I do not have to lift the tyre much. For the big jack, I also have the lifting adapter that pins up into the holes that are on the underside of the frame. This makes locating the properly locating the trolley easy, particularly for the left rear wheel near the air compressor as there is no chance of jacking on the compressor using the adapter.

I used to use a small bottle jack to lift the arm, but I find the baby trolley is just easier. Needless to day, I would not try to lift the 3 at the frame with the little one, nor would I lift the A arm without taking the weight off the assembly via the bigger trolley on the frame. I also note that my baby trolley is rated at 1,800 kgs, about half what your small one is marked at.

Below is a jpg of my "big" 2.5 long ton, (2,500 kg), Jet, Made in Japan, (it is that old), trolley jack with the adapter for viewing purposes, out of the hole it normally resides in. I think the way jacks are rated has changed over time as this 30 year old 2.5 ton rated jack appears to have more plate steel in it than todays 3 ton - do not however know much about the metallurgy of today vs a few years past.

Click image to enlarge
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update. 

Last edited by bbyer on 15th May 2011 3:52 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #79631314th May 2011 6:30 am
gilmore

England 

I've got the big one on the right as well. Good and sturdy and lifted my D3 with ease and stability.
Make sure you protect your drive if it's tarmac, otherwise:
1. The wheels sink in
2. The D3 wheels tear it up when the suspension sorts itself out after you've jacked it.
Whistle
Still have little marks in my drive.
cheers
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Land Rover Defender V8, 50th Anniversary Edition
Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5
Ford Transit Custom (for the bikes) 

Post #79631414th May 2011 6:52 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

gilmore wrote:
I've got the big one on the right as well.

Me too, great piece of kit. Thumbs Up

Dead solid, especially if you've got the adapter that slots into the chassis.
Will be using mine today to swap over all wheels.
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #79631814th May 2011 7:27 am
flinty99

England 

Got one for sale along with the D3 adapter if your interested. I will be posting on the forum very shortly.
 For details on the next Kielder Safari click visit the Kielder Safari website

Sold: HSE-G4, Tangiers Orange. (one of your 5 Discoverys a day)

Member of CFT 

Post #79673315th May 2011 3:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Using mine again today and I am still very happy with it.

Post #79896221st May 2011 11:54 am
bbyer

tonne vs long ton vs short ton vs kilograms

The look of the Clarke impresses me - actually looks well built, plus the label showing 3 tonne clearly means something.

Some of the far east stuff uses merely the letter t to note the rating.

Ignoring just how the rating, whatever it is, was determined, I always wonder what the t means.

3,000 kilograms = 3 tonne or 3 metric tons
3,000 kilograms = 8,037 pounds
3,000 kilograms = 2.95 long tons
3,000 kilograms = 3.31 short tons
3,000 kilograms = 472.4 stone - thought I would add that since this is a Land Rover site.

The reality is that if the variations were the difference between the load falling or not, the jack is too small, but to me, the details are an indication of quality or the lack thereof.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #79899421st May 2011 3:10 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Robbie wrote:
Using mine again today and I am still very happy with it.

Robbie - nice adaptor Razz Home made or commercially available Question

Post #79985624th May 2011 3:43 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Commercially available. But if I tell you who they are made by, I'd have to kill you. Or the mods would kill me, one of the two.
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #79986124th May 2011 4:13 pm
bbyer

link to GNV vehicle, the adaptor supplier

[quote="maplecottage"]
Robbie wrote:
Robbie - nice adaptor Razz Home made or commercially available Question

The only thing you have to know is the ID of the hole in your jack. The Clarke are 30mm I believe, however others are different. Also with some jacks, the plate already there will not easily remove or there is a shaft just below the hole that will not allow the new adaptor to slide in far enough. You will have to look at your jack first as to hole ID etc.

This post has been edited by the site administration team
Links removed
Post #79987224th May 2011 4:57 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up Magic job - thanks Thumbs Up

Post #80001424th May 2011 10:17 pm
ambrose

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Just bought the 3 Tonne Machine Mart jack, well impresed, also brought the adapter from the above mentioned maker. Hopeing it will arrive by the weekend ,I will get a piece of ply to protect the drive too Thumbs Up

Post #80002524th May 2011 10:37 pm
Ade

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Is this the clarke one?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/...l-garage-j

Post #80210131st May 2011 3:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >