Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

My D4 smoking is “representative of the marque”, say LR
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Russell

United Kingdom 

I have been through this with my last D4, it spent many hours in with the dealers who were very very good, they even had LR tech come out and spend a number of days on the car/engine. I had both turbos replace, new modded pipe work and valves fitted, diffrent injectors fitted, egr valves fitted and loads of other work doen. They did compression tests on al cylinders and masses of other tests with no clear fault found.
The car would smoke on start up and would also smwll, the car would then smoke under heavey acceleration or just acceleration if you had been driving at a constant speed for a while.
I tried diffrent fuels both cheap supermarket ones and top of the range expensive ones with no joy. The last time the car went in they even managed to get a camera up into the turbo very quickly after it had been run and there was clear signs of oil in the turbo despite having new turbos fitted and peipe work cleaned out.
The car would often not use any oil for months and then all of a sudden use a large quantity in two or three days.
The issue was cleared up with a new engine supplied and fitted by LR as the car was only two years old and had covered about 20000 miles.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #118689613th Nov 2013 3:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
adam

United Kingdom 

747 - mine started about 6 months in - bought new in March 2010

Post #118700413th Nov 2013 11:40 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Mine was a 2010 model as well.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #118709613th Nov 2013 3:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
747_JK

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks adam.

And Russell, pretty much every check and engine test you mention, my car had between April and October at the dealer. They all reported the engine was fine...
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"
2019 Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SOLD
2010 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE with a serious smoking habit - SOLD 

Post #118713613th Nov 2013 4:32 pm
tempestv8

Australia 

Saw a TDV6 2013 Range Rover billowing heaps of bluish whitish smoke on a busy freeway. The driver was closing up a gap in the traffic.

Looks like the same SDV6 engine in the FFRR also smokes badly under hard acceleration. Must be atypical of the marque then. Rolling Eyes

Post #119319126th Nov 2013 4:31 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Like Adam's mine seems to do it when the outside temperature is 5-10 degrees C, and it's done it since I've owned it (March 2012, a MY 2010). Odd how it stops when it's below or above that temperature.

Post #120469919th Dec 2013 2:38 pm
gensetsteve

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 4

As you can tell from my screen name I am a generator engineer ( Hi will 247) This may be a long shot as I am sure the technology of old generator engines are years behind but we have a fight to stop the bores glazing up on lazy standby generators. The D4 3.0 litre is a very torque engine which can encourage a light throttle this combined with very clean oil ( changed too often ) can compound this problem. I have run discoveries for 21 years to tow 3500kg of generator about all my vehicle have been a bit loose especially at the 200k mark but we just dont seem to get the problems the well looked after low mileage stuff gets.

Post #12109523rd Jan 2014 9:54 am
MarkOne

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

^^^^^^^^^^^this man is on the money^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can't believe they just keep throwing parts at these type of problems.

Has anybody ever asked how the vehicle is driven in daily use?

Post #12109583rd Jan 2014 10:13 am
747_JK

Thanks gensetsteve - very interesting comments, apologies for only just seeing them. I'm due another service in about 3k miles so perhaps I should miss this one out, just keep on driving, leave the current oil in - and hook myself up to a weighty trailer and drag that around for a bit... Seriously, it does make you wonder!

Having just extended my warranty however, I'd better not. This is not a car I would continue to run without a warranty to support it.

Anyway, decided not to waste any further time or effort on the car. I'll run it for another year or so as is - or until the engine goes bang again - and then replace it with something more trusty. In the meantime, felt it was only fair to warn those who might be near my car that they might get covered in smoke, so it now carries a warning sign on the rear window:

[URL=]
[/URL]

And to show the smoking is getting worse, and certainly not better, here's a few clips filmed in January (when I could be bothered!):

http://youtu.be/b1rX32ILRFc

Since putting the sticker on the back of the car there's been a positive improvement. I haven't had a single case of smoke-related road rage or pedestrian rage, so at least something is working. :thumbsup:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"

Post #122561028th Jan 2014 9:09 am
gensetsteve

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 4

Depending on colour of smoke I would be thinking valve stem seals. But as its a diesel and there is no vacuum in the inlet manifold as such between gears or on over run so it sort of blows that theory out. The amount of smoke on start up indicates something is dripping when stationary. The fact that two engines have produced the same fault indicates that its a problem with the parts left on the car ie fuel pump, lines, tank. Or it could be you are one of the economical drivers that looks after their car. Mine is a 2010 plate 65k I have a feeling the previous driver enjoyed the lively engine but not a whiff of smoke ever seen. I will let you know what towing 3 tonne of trailer does to it. There is a man on here that delivers cars on a trailer with a D3 and he has done over 300k in his. I have to say the only time mine really feels like it is doing some work is when the trailer is on and even then it is not struggling.

Post #122680629th Jan 2014 10:19 pm
McBreadhead

United Kingdom 

This is quite a disturbing thread and 747_JK this would have had me seriously aggrieved. It's to your credit that you remain so calm.

I am about to take the plunge with a May 2010 D4 TDV6 with 54k miles and when I test drove it last week I noticed blue smoke on acceleration. OK it had sat of the forecourt all week but this belch was after a good 10 mins of driving. It is a LR dealer and they have assured me they will not release a car that fails a MOT on emissions nor one that visibly smokes. I know where that leaves me - I will simply walk away from the deal on Saturday and ask for my deposit back.

But where does that leave you? If they are not prepared to sell me a car that does this why should you be prepared to put up with the same? I am sure if you were motivated enough you could reject the vehicle on grounds of "not of merchantable quality" and followed by unsuccessful attempts by the dealer to rectify the problem you would be quite well placed to ask for a refund.

Quite simply I would not want this to be my problem any longer.

Post #125260613th Mar 2014 11:16 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

There is a fix for the blue smoke issue, maybe it hadn't had the turbo drain mod done?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #125296814th Mar 2014 6:13 pm
747_JK

McBreadhead wrote:
This is quite a disturbing thread and 747_JK this would have had me seriously aggrieved. It's to your credit that you remain so calm.

Thank you McBreadhead, only just saw this post - having just replied to your other thread in the General forum.

I am sure you will strike it lucky with your car and really hope you have no problems. But best to keep warranty cover on the car if you can.

But if you do have issues, you can always put a sticker in the back window! If anything, it makes you feel better AND people have stopped voicing their comments about the smoking loudly at me! Someone suggested I add little red stickmen alongside each time conversations about my car put a potential LR owner off buying one. The amount of strangers who have stopped and asked me about the car is crazy, it's a weekly occurrence now. Not many have been potential Landy owners, but I do definitely owe myself two stick men!
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"

Post #125310314th Mar 2014 9:30 pm
McBreadhead

United Kingdom 

Well I went to the dealer today and they seemed to have sorted the smoking. None under heavy acceleration anyway.

But I will keep the stickers in mind Wink

Post #125362015th Mar 2014 7:57 pm
Nworthy

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I know this is a little bit old but, this is my first D4, got this smoke on start up, this is first start of the day cold. I'll get another vid of the start up. I revved it a little bit to show the smoke.

I took it to Landranger services in atherton for the bonnet fault switch which has been sorted, but also said theres a bit of smoke. He said it needs the updated oil return feed from the turbo doing and it will need booking in. The car is under warranty from a garage and has full LR history. Do I need to worry? Only had it 3k so far!

Post #138855512th Dec 2014 9:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >