Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

My D4 smoking is “representative of the marque”, say LR
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
sjmw

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:
Finally, for very obvious reasons this has got to you as it probably would do me but your health is too important for you to allow it to eat you up. If you don't want to go down this route you could always ask LR to make a exceptional buy back offer to take into account your problems so far.

I agree - unless you can prevail upon LR to agree to be bound by the findings of an independent expert (and you will also need to agree to be so bound, whether or not you like the outcome) or show that the vehicle fails emission tests (which you have not addressed in your replies to the various advice given on this forum) I don't see that you have anywhere else to go. LR are quite within their legal rights to refuse to go the independent expert route; any decision by them to do so will be for PR/customer relations purposes.

I think the 'generous buy back' option is a good one if you can negotiate it

I too am concerned that you might allow the issues to become all-consuming - see landroverhell.com for what happens in such circumstances

Good luck, whichever route you choose

Post #117287915th Oct 2013 10:49 pm
747_JK

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

It's so nice to be part of a forum with such caring members, and full of such good advice. Thanks all.

Trust me, this doesn't get to my health! With a newborn in my household as of 10 days ago, it's a hugely irritating distraction and a major annoyance, and something to think about when I am changing nappies at 3am - but not something which makes me I'll. I'm just used to filming my car, takes seconds, and is second nature given the year my car has had.

Re emissions testing, I had previously raised this concern with the Aftersales Manager at my dealership - about 6 weeks ago. I had made the point about what would happen to my car at future MOT tests... I am sure he told me that MOT emissions tests are not conducted on a cold start so I wouldn't have a problem... (I didn't take written notes, but I am sure that was the gist of it).

For the time being I am not looking at third party testing as I am waiting on the result of an alternative avenue which is being explored. But it's an option for the future, I wouldn't rule it out by any means.

And as this problem is "representative of the marque", I am still trying to find an owner whose car does what mine did in the video I posted today. In such a huge pool of D4 owners, there should literally be no end of owners with cars doing exactly the same...?

But seriously, thanks to everyone for their comments and support to date.
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"
2019 Land Rover Discovery 5 HSE
2015 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SOLD
2010 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE with a serious smoking habit - SOLD 

Post #117289115th Oct 2013 11:10 pm
Hess

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Seeing as there's nothing wrong with it according to Landrover,
there should be no issue in getting a good trade in price from them either!

I'd sell it, and would post the reg here to make sure nobody buys it
without knowing the issue Thumbs Up

Post #117327916th Oct 2013 7:46 pm
sjmw

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Any update on your issue?

Post #11836947th Nov 2013 10:56 am
747_JK

That's good of you to ask sjmw.

Update from my side:

Car is still smoking daily. Having seen your request for an update, I filmed this today for you:
http://youtu.be/jKI2yLjtjFo

I've had no further dialogue with Land Rover (seems little point). I'm still pursuing another avenue, although not as quickly as I'd hoped owing to the added pressure of having a five week-old in my house, plus the ongoing job of running a company.

What I'm still amazed at, though, is that this thread has been viewed 1,642 times by predominantly Discovery owners, yet no one has told me their car smokes to the degree mine does upon start-up. So, it does make you question how "representative of the marque" my car's foul smoking habit really is.
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"

Post #118624211th Nov 2013 11:02 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I'm surprised it's not on fire by the way you rev it Rolling Eyes
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #118624311th Nov 2013 11:06 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

My old D1 used to do that. Could it be squirting in too much fuel on cranking?

Post #118624711th Nov 2013 11:08 pm
will247

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Interesting point DSL.

I work with generators and on the controllers there is a 'smoke limiting' setting. Set it low for reduced smoke on start up and Censored all chance of starting or set it high to bellow it out but definitely start! Wonder if the problem with this D4 is related?
 26 and on the 4th LR..
Series 2a 1963 88'' 2.25 Derv as original with Galv chassis
Disco 1 1996 V8 on LPG (sold now)
Disco 3 2005 TDV6 S (sold now)
Disco 4 MY15 XS Commercial

Post #118625011th Nov 2013 11:12 pm
747_JK

DG - In the videos I have posted, I have done nothing when filming the issue with my car which the Land Rover dealer themselves haven't done in testing (by revving the engine), filmed, and shown to me when trying to monitor the fault. In fact, I'm a lot kinder on my car than they are when testing it.

I look after my car incredibly well. It's kept in immaculate condition and it has been over-serviced throughout its whole life, always by the same local LR dealer. It has never had supermarket fuel, it regularly gets premium grade diesel and it is driven with a great deal of care and respect.

Part of the issue with this car is the smoking upon acceleration when driving. Without hiring a film crew to follow me on a trunk road when I accelerate from 50 to 70mph (and in this circumstance it smokes without anything near full-on acceleration), or buying a pair of GoPro cameras, the only way to safely replicate the smoking upon acceleration is to do some from a standing start in a local road. I've never hidden the fact that when filming this issue, you have to accelerate with purpose (even what you see in the clips is not 'foot to the floor').

Count yourself lucky when you parted with £50k+ of your own money your car worked ok. Mine didn't. I have enough hassle with the car, without your cheap comments.

If there was anything with my driving style which was causing this car to malfunction, then a) Land Rover would have told me so long ago and, b) Land Rover would have an even more serious problem on their hands... I know how I drive my car on a daily basis, and it's fair to say if the car had problems because of my driving style, it would have problems with just about any other owner out there too!

To everyone else who has been helpful with their comments, I thank you.
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"

Post #118625911th Nov 2013 11:26 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

As I t's only been run on premium diesel I wonder if it would still do it on standard juice. Confused

Post #118626411th Nov 2013 11:35 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

You posted here on open forum and those are my observations....like it or lump it Wink . Why do you rev the guts out of it to demonstrate your case ...what happens when you drive "normal" ? Confused
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #118626511th Nov 2013 11:36 pm
747_JK

DSL wrote:
As I t's only been run on premium diesel I wonder if it would still do it on standard juice. Confused

It's not just premium grade diesel DSL, but at least one tank in four is (that was the advice of a contact I used to know at one of the big oil firms). The rest of the time it is Shell or BP's finest standard diesel. Just never the Tesco or Asda plonk.
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"

Post #118627311th Nov 2013 11:49 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Mine will occasionally smoke that much on start-up – as I have posted before – it is definitely fuel related by the smell – a double start (ignition on, warning lights off, ignition off, ignition on, warning lights off, start the engine stops it) – and it only ever does it at c. 7 – 10 degrees – strange .
It never does it when warm (or even after being left for a few hours during the day)
Just looked at your video clip – I might be wrong but you seem to start it very quickly – have all the warning lights gone out?

Post #118633712th Nov 2013 9:01 am
747_JK

Thanks adam - you did mention yours will smoke in a certain temperature bracket. Did it always do that (i.e., from new, or only after a certain age/mileage?)

Mine has been doing so between April of this year and present day (in April the engine was 2yrs 2 months old). It then smoked throughout the summer, even on days in the high 80s (sorry, I do temperature via the other scale!), so it does not seem temp-related in my case.

it is certainly fuel related though, as the smell indicates a strong diesel odour (at least, I presume that's what it is).

I'll try your double start procedure tomorrow morning ands see if it still happens when I try that.

As for how I start the car, I just follow what the dealer told me on day one and what it says in the handbook:

"Automatic transmission vehicles: With the Smart Key inside the vehicle, the transmission in P or N and the brake pedal depressed, press and release the START/STOP button to start the engine. On diesel models, dependent upon the engine coolant temperature, there may be a delay of
up to 12 seconds between pressing the START/STOP button and the engine cranking.
Keep the brake pedal applied and do not press the START/STOP button again, as this will
switch off the ignition. Once the engine has started the brake pedal can be released."
 747_JK
"Moab is my happy place"

Post #118668012th Nov 2013 7:59 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Watching the videos again, I would say it is injector related.

However, that does not explain why the smoking stopped with a new engine, and (probably) the original injectors...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #118668712th Nov 2013 8:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >