Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

New water pump needed when changing timing belts?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
INTERCEPTOR

Switzerland 
New water pump needed when changing timing belts?

Hi there!
I just bought a 'new' TDV6 HSE with 101k mls on the clock. I'm considering to change the timing belts soon. Reading through the LR-service sheet, there doesen't seem to be the usual changing of the water pump.
I'd be happy to save some money and time, but its a PITA to change everything twice if the pump should fail after a few thousend mls. Confused
So, does anyone recommend a new water pump, or a new oil pump when changing the belts?

greetings
Marco

Post #9747808th Sep 2012 12:06 pm
Ceekay

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Hi interceptor

I think the general conception is that there is no need to change it as it seldom fails although there are one or two nightmare stories knocking around but for the price of if I remember correctly approx £17 for he water pump I just got mine done on the Cambelts service which I also had carried out a year early just in case. Didn't look into the oil pump so can't really help on that bit.

Thumbs Up
 D4 HSE Lux MY16 Club Waitomo
D3 HSE MY06 missing her still… 

Post #9747828th Sep 2012 12:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DrLex

Iceland 

Greetings to Obwalden!
Marco, as Ceekay says, there are a couple of people here who advocate changing the water pump at the same time. You might ask your garage what they will charge for such extra work at the time. Of more interest is the age of your car; there have been some catastrophic engine failures in the MY07 & subsequent years after the belt tensioner mount breaks, so replacing this mount may be a better piece of preventative maintenance. Read this thread for some details.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #9747838th Sep 2012 12:25 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The plastic water outlet is more likely to fail.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #9747898th Sep 2012 12:43 pm
dsd1036

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

There is no real necessity to change water pump whilst having belts done but I believe it's an easier thing to do whilst the cars in bits!
Had mine done last year and it's only about £30 for part and an additional 1/2 hour labour charge.

Rgds

Darrell Thumbs Up

Post #9747958th Sep 2012 1:17 pm
INTERCEPTOR

Switzerland 

Thanks a lot for the numerous and helpful replies. I'll let my mechanic decide if I need more than the belt change. Living in Switzerland means also high prices for parts. They want to charge me CHF 700.-- (€ 580.00) only for the two belts, without work. Confused Seems awful lot to me, especially when comparing the prices for the parts on rimmerbros.co.uk.

greetings
Marco

Post #9749639th Sep 2012 9:35 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

You are being quoted what appears to be a very high price; I appreciate that duty & taxes may apply but i am sure you would be betterv off buying the parts from site sponsor Yeovil Land Rover Parts Department (username The Large One):-

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/member-the-large-one.html

Excellent prices with forum discount, see this thread:-

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic76339.html

Look at post 2 but note TLO's comment later on regarding the price of front idler rollers 1311306
which has effectively doubled - thus c. £64 for two.

Let us know how you get on.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #9749719th Sep 2012 10:08 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The parts are available through Britpart and Bearmach, cambelts and tensioner are OEM, made by Dayco, and the idler pulleys also appear to be OEM, with the same part numbers etc stamped into them. The idler pulleys are around £20 each

Should be a cheaper option than having to buy genuine parts Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #9750019th Sep 2012 11:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
indi

Singapore 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

After changing the belts then discovered a week later that water pump was leaking....so might as well do it as a SOP to just change the water pump when doing the belts. If only I knew earlier. My mechanic is 175 kilometers away and my parts from UK! So that meant 2 shipments to Thailand!!!

Post #9750669th Sep 2012 4:15 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

ahh the power of hindsight.. ohh how we love it Rolling with laughter

two days after one of the cambelt changes on the old engine with coolant dissappering down the street and a fast cooking engine....new engine installed in March this year and got a new one under warranty due to it leaking when held downward Thumbs Up

right pain if they do go Whistle

Post #9752259th Sep 2012 10:55 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

indi wrote:
After changing the belts then discovered a week later that water pump was leaking....so might as well do it as a SOP to just change the water pump when doing the belts. If only I knew earlier. My mechanic is 175 kilometers away and my parts from UK! So that meant 2 shipments to Thailand!!!

In this instance, the yes, it probably would be worthwhile changing the water pump at the same time, due to your location, and taking into account shipping costs and delays

However, for most people, I presume it wouldn't be an issue as we can get parts pretty much next day in the UK Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #97525810th Sep 2012 6:47 am
kp

United Kingdom 

Im in the camp of changing a water pump if its belt powered.

Its also a good reason at 5years to flush the cooling system out which is also a task very rarely done until something in the system fails and they find out there is a tonne of sludge floating around which killed the pump or helped boil the block...

better to be safe than sorry i say for £17 for a pump and another £20 for coolant just do it..
 FFRR Owner, very nearly became a D3 owner Smile
Test piloted a new D4 XS SDV6.. Gone and being forgotten i hope!!
D4 HSE 10MY
D4 XS 11MY
SSRR Destroyer *2 Smile 

Post #97535910th Sep 2012 12:03 pm
WINDSWEPTISLANDER

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Bali BlueDiscovery 3

Never mind that, I've had a water pump cost me an engine, it seized, think of the implicated cost if teh bearings fail. Change it for peace of mind.

Post #97542910th Sep 2012 2:55 pm
Renny

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

Having picked our D3 up having had the belts changed at 71k miles, and the water pump failing 20 miles later, I'd recommend changing the water pump.
 Renny Thomson
aka Scottish Scrutineer or MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer 

Post #142682615th Feb 2015 1:15 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Its not needed normally but for the price of new pump, and it only takes 5 mins to fit it if your doing the belts, its a no brainer.

When I change one I do not charge for fitting if doing the belts. I have done loads of belts and what I have found is that when the timing belt cover is removed, whoever removed it has also undone the top water pump bolt by mistake, and I think its this that has caused most of the water pump's to fail by snapping the other bolts.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #142684615th Feb 2015 1:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >