Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Proper side of the pond to ask the questions...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Ghaniba

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3
Proper side of the pond to ask the questions...

Hey folks,

I've got a few questions about an LR3. As a previous Discovery owner, and a Discovery 2 owner, how have the LR3s been? Sounds like fuel injector problems, lower control arm issues (bushes, really) are about the main issues I've been able to find. Sounds far nicer than the overheating cylinder liner slipping issues of the 4.6 in the D2, etc.

I'm curious to hear what your experience is for the 4.4L v8 LR3's. For us in the U.S. it's the 4.4v8 or the v6, and frankly if I'm given the choice.... it won't be the v6.

Another note - Everyone here claims that the only real way to tell if the LR3 came with the factory rear locker is if you call the dealer. It was offered in a "Heavy Duty" (HD) package. This package also could/would/should include a full size spare, so some say to look for that.

I expect I'll just be slinging myself under the truck to look for the electronics on top of the rear diff as the tell, but I'd rather not get dirty before I hop into the seat of the truck I may just have to buy. Any tips from over your way? Did they do the buildouts the same for the options?

In the meantime, I can share with you an early run of my 2000 D2. TC wasn't working properly that day as I recall, but you'll get the general idea that I may do more with the truck than what the parent company would advise. Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxpdX9P17rc

Thanks for any tips,

Dave aka Ghan

Post #14210555th Feb 2015 9:40 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Welcome to the forum!

As you probably realise the V8 petrols are relatively rare in the UK and the V6 petrol nonexistent. The V8s clearly share the same chassis and electrical issues as the diesel, including the EAS and the higher rate of wear with suspension components you would expect of such a heavy vehicle. The V8 itself is pretty robust with throttle body and injector issues being arguably the most common.

There are relatively few locking rear diffs in the UK, but you do not have to scrabble around underneath to see them. At the right angle you can spot the actuator from the wheel arch. The UK did not have a package such as the HD package that was/is popular in the US. The option for a locking rear diff was relatively expensive on its own and in truth the necessity for it was questioned quite early on. The locking diff does not provide any additional off-road capability. What it does do is provide for a much smoother experience when compared to a regular vehicle, but surrender any notion that those with the option can reach places that regular D3s cannot manage. That said, if the HD package was available in the UK for a similar price to the US I would have specified it.

I hope you find a vehicle you like and enjoy the experience.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #14211125th Feb 2015 10:42 pm
Ghaniba

Robbie, Thanks much for the reply! That's great news about being able to spot the actuator through the wheel well!

Might I ask, what are the throttle body problems you speak of? I've not read of that yet.

I am excited to buy another, as I dearly miss my last Discovery.

Here's another good question -- What about the sunroof? Are they as notorious for leaking as the D2 were?

Thanks again in advance,

Dave

Post #14213176th Feb 2015 12:27 pm
lewis_33

Qatar 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Ghaniba,

I am out in the middle east, but have the V8 Gulf Spec. A friend of mine works for the main dealer, to my surprise mine has a Locking Diff Very Happy he said to me that all HSE models had locking diffs. Even the Early ones. Mines a 2005.

Hope that helps.

Post #143093822nd Feb 2015 1:01 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Hello to Doha!

Just to be clear, specifications are region specific and just because HSEs delivered to the ME does not mean that other regions had the same. The e-diff has never been anything but an optional extra in the UK & Europe at any stage whatever the model specification. I am reasonably sure this is also the case in North America & Mexico too.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #143094822nd Feb 2015 1:24 pm
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I have a 2005 G4 V8 HSE with rear difflock and yes it will help offroad as a rear difflock prevents spinning wheels and TC only starts working if you have already spinning wheels.

You can see if you have a rear diif lock:

If you up from before the right rearwheel above the axle you could see this:

If you put a camera up there and after a few attemps you see this:

Then you have a rear Diff lock.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #143098722nd Feb 2015 2:56 pm
Ghaniba

Thanks for the pictures and updates!

I've looked at 3 different trucks so far, all of them were already a NO for various states of disrepair.

I tried to look in from the left side thinking it was on that side, clearly chose the wrong side. It was DARN cold every day that I was out. Most days around here haven't been a high temp of -9C... So I didn't spend as much time outside looking them over, other than watching suspension move properly, etc.

Another curiosity of my hunt - 2 of the 3 had rear wipers that would occasionally go on... Judging by what I've read in books I could find for them, they have rain sensing wipers -- so perhaps this was an ice buildup, etc? It would seem likely.

Also - When one comments about having a vehicle with a "full size spare" -- Is it a tire on a steel wheel or is it on an actual alloy like the other 4 on the vehicle?

I'll be checking back on the right side of the vehicle on the next one I look at for the locker!

Speaking of locker, I've read some interesting opinions on how the rear diff lock works. Some people have stated that it only locks when it needs it... Is this the case, as though it's actuated from the Terrain response when wheel begins to slip, or is it going to engage it when you put it in 'rock crawl' -- and it's ON?

Dave

Post #143178823rd Feb 2015 6:40 pm
DiscoNels

United States 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Ghaniba wrote:
Another curiosity of my hunt - 2 of the 3 had rear wipers that would occasionally go on... Judging by what I've read in books I could find for them, they have rain sensing wipers -- so perhaps this was an ice buildup, etc? It would seem likely.

Yes Auto Sensing wipers. One click up on the wiper lever and it's on.
Ghaniba wrote:
Also - When one comments about having a vehicle with a "full size spare" -- Is it a tire on a steel wheel or is it on an actual alloy like the other 4 on the vehicle?

A full size spare it just that, an alloy wheel just like the other 4 on the vehicle. However an owner can put a full size spare on their vehicle so not a true indicator of having the diff lock.

Ghaniba wrote:
Speaking of locker, I've read some interesting opinions on how the rear diff lock works. Some people have stated that it only locks when it needs it... Is this the case, as though it's actuated from the Terrain response when wheel begins to slip, or is it going to engage it when you put it in 'rock crawl' -- and it's ON?

As an owner of a D3 with a locking diff I can say it only locks when it needs it, and I believe it's only active when in low range (I could be wrong on that part but I've never seen it lock (on screen) when driving on streets and such in highway mode).
 1998 Discovery LSE - Gold, 249,000+ miles, completely stock
2007 Range Rover SC - White, 63,000 mi
2006 Discovery 3 HSE - Locking E-Diff, Rover Specialties rock sliders, 275/65/18 Cooper STT PRO, LLAMS suspension controller, LR Expedition Roof Rack. Asfir Rear Diff, Tactical 4x4 (Gas Tank Skid, Rear Bumper, and Front Bumper w/12K winch), Traxide Split Charge System, Overland Solar + Lensun Solar panels
BBS Nanocom Evolution and Gap Diagnostics IID BT Tool 

Post #143216524th Feb 2015 6:44 am
AVE
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Ghaniba wrote:

Another curiosity of my hunt - 2 of the 3 had REAR wipers that would occasionally go on... Judging by what I've read in books I could find for them, they have rain sensing wipers -- so perhaps this was an ice buildup, etc? It would seem likely.

Dave

The front wipers have rain sensors. The rear works intermittently but will come on continuously when the vehicle is put into reverse (when the front wipers are switched on).
 As you slide down the banister of life
may no splinters point your way

Disco XXV
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY16
Discovery Sport HSE Lux MY17

Evoque HSE Dynamic MY16 (Gone)
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY14 (Lovely car but preferred the Disco!)
Disco 3 Tdv6 HSE MY05 (owned for 11 years and now gone)
Range Rover Sport HSE MY11 (Gone)
Freelander2 SE (Gone but the most reliable car we've ever owned)
Disco 2 V8 (Gone) 

Post #143220724th Feb 2015 9:52 am
Ghaniba

Well, I bit.

Folks,

Thanks for all the tips. I gave up on attempting to find one with a rear locker. I looked at about 15 different trucks, ran the VINs on 10 of them by the local dealer to see if they had a rear locker or not -- not one of them did. At this point, I realized that I could wait forever to find one, and when I did, who knows what condition it would be in. Why not just get a good condition one, and get the ARB locker installed in the rear.

Well, I finally found one I was willing to buy.

2005 SE, HK audio, no nav, ... 41k miles. I'm the 2nd owner, all of the records for maintenance, no accidents.

Anyway,

Thanks again for all the tips and look forward to being more active in your online community!

Dave aka Ghan

Post #144714323rd Mar 2015 3:58 pm
DiscoNels

Wow, nice find!!! I think after wheeling a little you'll quickly find that the LR3's w/o the rear locker are quite capable. I wheeled in Moab with some LR3's that did not have the rear locker and they could climb over the same stuff I was on because the traction control system is so good.

You'll be surprised at what you will be able to do.
2006 Discovery 3 HSE - Locking E-Diff, Rover Specialties rock sliders, 275/65/18 Cooper STT PRO, LLAMS suspension controller, LR Expedition Roof Rack. Asfir Rear Diff, Tactical 4x4 (Gas Tank Skid, Rear Bumper, and Front Bumper w/12K winch), Traxide Split Charge System, Overland Solar + Lensun Solar panels

Post #144715523rd Mar 2015 4:21 pm
Ghaniba

I'm looking forward to seeing it in action.

My current plan of attack:

Lift Rods, Tires, LOTS OF TRIMMING, Rock Rails/Air Compressor Guard, General Skid plate, Rear tire carrying bumper, ARBs Front and Rear.

I do really look forward to how well it does without running the lockers. I found the D2 TC was what I'd consider about 50% of a single locker. Here's a video a friend took when I took him for a test ride in my back yard. This is the rock face I do most of my testing of vehicles on. Smile

Dave

Post #144715723rd Mar 2015 4:31 pm
Alphamale

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

An '05 with only 41k, quite a find, it isn't run in yet.

Post #144716623rd Mar 2015 4:44 pm
DiscoNels

Ghaniba wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing it in action.

My current plan of attack:

Lift Rods, Tires, LOTS OF TRIMMING, Rock Rails/Air Compressor Guard, General Skid plate, Rear tire carrying bumper, ARBs Front and Rear.

Dave

That's a big expensive list you've got going. You say "lots of trimming", are you planning on putting 33's on or something? If not, you won't need to trim anything.

I'd recommend Tactical 4x4 rock sliders as this offers maximum undercarriage protection for the air compressor. Their design is very similar to the Rover Specialties sliders I have and they are indestructible and worth every penny. Tactical4x4 also has a sweet rear bumper/swing away tire carrier that's on my wish list (my wife wants it (the bumper Whistle) more than I do). I'm not a fan of their front bumper (think it's fugly) and would rather have an ARB.

Take a look at the Terrafirma skid plate at Lucky8 LLC. Keep us posted on the build up of your Disco 3.

Post #144717423rd Mar 2015 5:21 pm
DerbyshireDisco

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Glad you found one it looks good, love the interior.
 Displaced Yorkshireman.
=^:^=
SDV6 Auto obviously, Loire blue/Ebony, ugly kid glass, RLD wheel protector, private plate and maybe side steps. 

Post #144730323rd Mar 2015 8:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >