Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Still confused Tie rod assembly
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
TD59

United Kingdom 

You need (maybe already have) to check the suspension entirely, front and rear. There is a lot of bushing on Discovery and plenty of bits to move around. You need to make sure the system is not under spring pressure so generally needs to be jacked under the sring lower mount on the wishbones, but I would always jack chassis too. Move the wheels top/bottom and at quarter to three. Then try and elongate and compress all joints with a lever, on the joints and under the tyres etc. If all is good, I would seriously consider your wheel alignment. if it's not all correct, the suspension and steering will move about relative to each other making the car move around depending on where the weight is throwing etc.
In my experience it is really difficult seeing movement in joints etc but you can more easily feel it.
You can't beat getting the vehicle in the air, on a four post ramp. Have somebody move the slack in the steering wheel too while feeling every joint you can get your hands on.
Good luck!

Post #236990028th May 2024 9:34 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

You seem to have tried most things. I would have someone rock the steering wheel while checking the two uni joints on the steering shaft. You said you replaced the lower shaft but what about the upper part? Tie rod ends are also a possibility.

Post #236993129th May 2024 11:11 am
Fla

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Just an update on this guys, I got another steering rack to try as you can swap these in abnout an hour and then I got it tracked loacally. Still probably not 100% but its definitely 90-95% better. Its weird to have a disco that doesnt go all over the road!

The one thing I wasnt expecting was the difficulty in getting compatable fluid for the rack. I hope I used the right stuff as I went on this forum and many others and unfortunately there was conflicting opinion. I ended up using a fluid with the spec CHF 11S

Anyways I just wanted to come back on and share the good news and thank you all for your help. If it were not for this forum and fullfatrr I would not be able to own or run a pair of Rovers. My local JLR garage charges €180 per hour plus Vat, I think this steering rack job would have been €1500 at the dealer and I did it with ye're help for €150 Smile

Thanks again
Fla

Post #237098813th Jun 2024 8:30 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >