Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Hdc fault etc. every time I drive longer uphill
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DisiDisco

Germany 
Hdc fault etc. every time I drive longer uphill

Hi, i´ve been to Greece recently and every time I drove Uphill for about an Hour, the car would show Errors in the Dashboard. A large F would appear and a could only roll out. The Errors in the Dashboard include: Hdc Fault System not Available, Transmission Fault Limited Gears Available, Transmission Fault, and Engine Fault.
If I start the Car right away I can drive about 100m, but the longer I wait, the longer I can drive.
the 1,5k Km back home from Greece I had the Error only once, but in the Mountains sometimes 5–10 times a day.
There were no Error codes in the System when I checked it back home, but there should have been at least 30-40.
I went to a Landover repair shops, but they told my that the Car is absolutely fine.

Does anyone of you have an idea where to start searching.
Battery is alright, and I'm currently checking all the Groundings and Connectors.

Sorry for my imperfect English, I'm not a native speaker.

Thanks in advance for the Help

Post #237100313th Jun 2024 11:26 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Start with the fuel system, typically it's either the fuel filter that needs changing or the low pressure fuel pump that's beginning to fail or both. In the worse case scenario the high pressure fuel pump could be at fault. Fault codes logged in the PCM will point the direction, so don't just delete them before noting them for later reference or posting them here!!

However, there is one small clue to what might be going on given what you have posted earlier.

DisiDisco wrote:

If I start the Car right away I can drive about 100m, but the longer I wait, the longer I can drive.

This tells me there might just be a blocked breather vent in your fuel tank cap! As the engine consumes fuel from the tank it must be replaced by air which is drawn in through this vent. If this is blocked a vacuum will be created by the engine preventing the normal flow for the car to run. This would obviously get worse depending on the journey time, or as you climb an incline as the demand for fuel increases.

Drive the car as normal and wait until the fault occurs, then pull over to a safe and preferably quiet place. Then with you ear close to the fuel cap remove it, if you can hear a rush of air this will be a result of the vacuum being released. If the tank is not too full replace the cap loosely or remove it and drive to see if the fault returns.

If it does return, then start with the fuel filter replacement and use OEM parts only. Then moving on to testing the LPFP output of which much has been written here on this site to assist you.(search button on top of page!)

If it doesn't return you have found the problem and avoided a costly diagnosis and repair. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #237101313th Jun 2024 3:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >