DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Transmission Vibration - when towing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Nheu

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Transmission Vibration - when towing

Hi All,

I have just joined as I found the website extremely useful. I took delivery of my brand new Disco3 HSE just before Xmas'06, love every minute of it. I nearly went for Range Rover Sports, but w/ the kids the Dsico3 is the practical choice. The wife drives it most of the time, but I get a chance to drive when we go caravaning - which happens every 6-8wks. We have 24ft caravan, the Disco3 tows it effortless, and love the air suspension.

But during our xmas'07 - 2 weeks caravaning, I noticed when taking off at the traffic light, and it only happens when changing 3rd gear to 4th gear, on bitumen smooth surface, I felt as though the car was riding on corrugation; transmission vibration? It happened few time, and it is intermitten. Taken to Southern LR service dept, can't find any fault. Has anyone come across this?

Looking forward to the replies...

Ned

Post #28868119th Apr 2008 12:53 am
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I get one changing up to 2nd, uphill when engine and transmission are cold. I guess it is the auto band-grip change that is a little slow but whether it is serious, progressive or adjustable I don't know. It goes when it's warm. I'm watching mine and hope someone will lighten our darkness. Confused
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #28868219th Apr 2008 12:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine does this also. It is noticable when the engine is at maximim torque, and labouring. It feels like I'm driving over a cattle grid. I have not had the dealer look at it yet, because its quite hard to replicate and I was waiting for it to get worse. However, at nearly 100k miles its no worse than its ever been. Using command shift stops it.

There is an article on the internet about a known 'feature' of the torque converter that is very similar. I'll try and find it.

Here it is;

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cattle.htm

Post #28868619th Apr 2008 5:44 am
sijui

Australia 2006 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

I have a my06 and also have noticed this when starting off in reverse or 1st. only when cold. Will mention to dealer. I also notice when shifting from neutral to drive there is about a second lag before take up; is this normal?

Post #28868919th Apr 2008 6:50 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Good find, Gareth Thumbs Up

I like the cattle grid analogy. Re-programming was mentioned; my dad used to service the old 3-speed Borg Warners as a hobby Shocked for a friend with a garage. Those were 100% ATF pressure controlled (for selection AND band-tightening) and band-slip and judder could be adjusted out by tweaking flow and pressure valves.

Our boxes are sealed for life and no adjustment Big Cry - anyone know how much of the control is electronic? Can you vary individual pressures and flows by re-programming? If NOT there's no point; if SO then it must be one huge collection of sensors and motorised valves Confused Confused
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #28870619th Apr 2008 9:06 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

To be honest, I will live with it. Its just not worth the hassle. Its such a small annoyance that the potential to cause more problems by trying to fix it is too great.

Unless it get really bad. But I say again, mine is at nearly 100k miles, and its done it for the last 50k without getting annoying or bad enough for me to bother the dealer about it.

No warranty either now Big Cry

Post #28875019th Apr 2008 2:26 pm
Nheu

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Thank you all, and Gareth...for the reply.

I also notice that it happens when it is straining, although it has not happened when the motor is cold... in fact I have been towing +400km coming back from Albany to Perth, and with the stop/start traffic lights outskirt of Perth is when I noticed the transmission vibration....

I hope like Gareth says, it doesn't get any worse, if it does hope it is before end of this year, it is when the 3yrs warranty is up otherwise it will be an expensive exercise Big Cry

thanks again....

btw: I hope to join Defender2 forum as well, that is what I drive, and it just grows on me Very Happy , it is less than 3 months old, and ABS/traction control fault, and rear diff is leaking oil... but still love it.

Post #28894620th Apr 2008 10:28 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >