DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Women in the RAF
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4
Women in the RAF

...in 1965.

Please note: attitudes in 1965 were different to those of 2022. Please do not try to apply the attitudes of 2022 to this film - that would be silly, whatever your friends on Twitter think. Whistle

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #22986835th Jul 2022 8:54 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

I haven't watched the video, but as my Mum was in the RAF a few years before then, I'm aware of some of the attitudes. Classics such as having to leave the RAF when she got married to my Dad (also in the RAF). Mum has plenty of "grrr" tales to tell of attitudes in those days, as well as tales of great times when they were newly married and living in places like Singapore. Thumbs Up
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #22986945th Jul 2022 9:55 pm
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

The video says one young lady didn't have to leave the RAF when she married as her husband was at the same station (the CO probably needed some ironing done).

A few shots of floor-cleaning, table-polishing and child-minding. A couple of #MeToo moments with "unsolicited physical contact". The responsibility given to the 19 yr old and the 'straight out of school' entry must have been ahead of its time.

The British armed forces never cease to amaze me: many times I have worked with subject matter experts who have immense technical expertise, broad historical context, common-sense and political acumen, only to find they have the minimum number of CSEs/GCEs to meet the entry requirements but their skills had been cultivated during their career. That said, an ex RN colleague of mine (a Chief Petty Officer) did try topping up the oil in his car through the dipstick tube. Rolling with laughter

I don't know where this YouTuber gets these from. Another recent one was of a Valliant flight, piloted by a pipe-smoking Wing Commander and a Met Office chap with leather patches on his elbows IIRC.

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #22987005th Jul 2022 10:32 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Quick Google threw up this story:
https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/lo...ho-3256079

Couple of women who were also discharged from the WRAF upon getting married. I wonder if the lady in the video that didn't get discharged got a special dispensation - or whether the rules changed around the time of the video.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #22987166th Jul 2022 12:37 am
Trailered Movements

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I married in 1976, my wife was also serving, and was discharged.

She basically got her 'old' job back as a civilian, better pay and no military dictates.

It was win win really.

Dave
 2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
2010 RRS TDV8 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago) 

Post #22987456th Jul 2022 9:54 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >