DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Change of part names
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Change of part names

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1...slave.html

Jaguar Land Rover has said the the decision to ban the word was made after it was 'called for by our employees' - but there has reportedly somewhat of a stir on the shop floor.

One worker told The Sun: 'It's just one more example of wokeism and it's as a result of a few voices making a fuss. It's so stupid because 'slave' in car making refers to a component that supports the function of another - "slave" and "master". No one here supports slavery. We just want to build great cars and go home.'

Post #229768429th Jun 2022 12:16 am
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

we was great Britain once

Post #229768929th Jun 2022 12:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Can u even say that these days Laughing,

Seems these woke snowflakes from a very small proportion of society in one way or another get triggered over the slightest thing , then if companies / individuals don’t fall into there way of thinking there’s the risk of getting cancelled along with being called a raciest

Post #229769929th Jun 2022 5:20 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Change of part names

gstuart wrote:
We just want to build great cars and go home.'

Be great if you could, not this Censored your churning out at the moment Whistle
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #229770129th Jun 2022 6:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I'm waiting for more of these changes.

We already have Parking Brake so as not to offend people who's arms stop at the wrist.

Personifold next I reckon Whistle

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #229770629th Jun 2022 7:50 am
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

I wonder about such terms as ‘motherboard’?

How about pink for girls, blue for boys?

When a word is used is it intended to upset or insult someone that is wrong but that is different to word used in historic context.

Just be careful about rewriting history. Now as a kid the N word was used in the eenie meenie, picking rhyme. Now when I told some modern day youngsters about the old fashion picking song I got told off. They could not understand the historical context.

Brendan

Post #229771629th Jun 2022 8:18 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

galwaygreen wrote:
we was great Britain once

You do know why the word "Great" is in Great Britain, don't you?
Rolling Eyes
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #229771929th Jun 2022 8:26 am
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Woke language filtering has been going of for more than a few years now and some groups created a 'dictionary' of words they wanted banned including 'slave' used in various functions in manufacturing and also other phrases (usually identified by an acronym not the words Rolling Eyes ) such as MMI = Man-machine-interface with a push to neutralise language on pretty much everything.

One of the various mandatory 'awareness' courses at JLR when I was there was intimating this push to recognise 'wrong' in our daily language, complete and utter ball cocks pushed by an industry that has sprung up to create a job role/wealth for itself. There are people there now that are on so many initiatives, working parties, awareness groups, diversity, culture and anything else you can think of they have no time to do a 'proper' job and that is pretty much their 'career' and the way up the greasy pole Rolling Eyes

You only have to look at a random selection of LinkedIn posts these days to see what people are doing in professions and its less and less about work and more about 'Facebook lite' or 'wokenism' than business...

It's Censored nuts and yet again the tiny minority and snowflake army 'win' the day Rolling Eyes

(yes it may well just be 'me' and I'm a 'dinosaur', blah, blah, blah but way too much red-tape in industry and its massively weighed down by all the additional 'right on' stuff in the world on top)

Post #229772029th Jun 2022 8:28 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

leeds wrote:
I wonder about such terms as ‘motherboard’?

How about pink for girls, blue for boys?

When a word is used is it intended to upset or insult someone that is wrong but that is different to word used in historic context.

Just be careful about rewriting history. Now as a kid the N word was used in the eenie meenie, picking rhyme. Now when I told some modern day youngsters about the old fashion picking song I got told off. They could not understand the historical context.

Brendan

Whilst I agree with your general point, it's worth remembering that language evolves. Words change their meanings over time. Acceptable words become unacceptable and vice versa. Times change and getting upset about it won't stop it.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #229772129th Jun 2022 8:31 am
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Agreed about change in acceptance of words.

However words used in historic context to me is acceptable even if in todays time they are unacceptable in modern day usage.

Have to be careful history is not white washed out. Slave/slavery and the effects of them are being whitewashed out of UK history. However modern day slavery exists in todays UK. IMO it is more important to fight/root out modern day slavery in the UK then renaming the clutch slave cylinder.

Brendan

Post #229772929th Jun 2022 9:22 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Just read that part of Cambridge University has had a change of name.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-61953668

Post #229773629th Jun 2022 10:07 am
john watson

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Oh,
Dear me does this I will need to get a new name for my 16” b Censored d file? How about the “Dolly” I use to get hubs etc of . Slide hammer perhaps? With this continual none sense we will soon have to have descriptions of things that will rival those of the French language. Heaven forbid. For now I will use the old and trusted names.
 Once you have defeated the idiots any job is half done. Pity there are so many idiots to defeat.  
Post #229774229th Jun 2022 10:42 am
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

My response to this - as to anything of its ilk - is "don't be so pathetic". I'm not supposed to use "Hello, Gents" in e-mails in case they don't identify as male.

Languages evolve but this sort of thing is an enforced step-change (an evolutionary 'extinction'). It is
very sinister and not only the result of the 'offence/diversity' industry but indoctrination in schools. Taking away the word 'slave' isn't going to help anyone.

Students' attitudes to free speech have changed:

Quote:
Students have “become less liberal in their approach to freedom of expression in recent years”, according to a study published this week (the Times, Mail and Guardian). A poll of 1,019 UK undergraduates by the Higher Education Policy Institute (HEPI) suggests that they want more restrictions on free speech than their predecessors who came of age around the time of the Brexit referendum.

Thirty-nine per cent said students’ unions should “ban all speakers that cause offence” – more than double the 16% found last time the survey was undertaken in 2016. More than one-third (36%) of the respondents also believe academics should be fired if they “teach material that heavily offends some students”, up from 15% in 2016. And when presented with the phrase “if you debate an issue like sexism or racism, you make it acceptable”, the proportion of students expressing some agreement doubled to 35% (up from 17% in 2016) – and the proportion expressing complete disagreement halved (down from 38% to 20%).

As the report’s author, Nick Hillman, remarks, it is “abundantly clear” that “a high proportion of students have a very different conception of academic freedom and free speech norms than earlier generations and from many of those who legislate, regulate or govern UK higher education institutions”. Hillman charitably attributes this decline in support for free speech to the tough time students have had in the past six years – Covid, industrial action, the ‘cost-of-living-crisis’ – leading to a preoccupation with ‘safety’. Maybe so, Toby Young concedes in the Spectator, “but surely the main cause is that organisations such as Stonewall and Advance HE have successfully infected British universities with hard-left identitarian ideology under the guise of promoting ‘diversity and inclusion’”.

Ah, the joys of living in an early dystopian sci-fi novel. Rolling Eyes

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #229774829th Jun 2022 12:28 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

next we won't be able to say we are "woke" for fear of upsetting the somnambulatory community or the sleep-apnea support society.

Post #229775329th Jun 2022 12:47 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

And parts can’t be called parts as they are a whole unit in their own right. Whistle Whistle

Post #229775529th Jun 2022 12:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >