THE LADY OF HEAVEN (film)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
THE LADY OF HEAVEN (film)

where do we go now ?

Post #22948669th Jun 2022 12:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

don't know if it was offensive or blasphemous but a minority public outcry acting as 'censors' isn't the way forward for me but its nothing new.....

Post #22948709th Jun 2022 7:18 am
icestationzebra

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: THE LADY OF HEAVEN (film)

galwaygreen wrote:
where do we go now ?

Vue are still showing it.

Post #22949179th Jun 2022 9:43 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

I think it's the wrong course of action by the cinema but I can understand why they did it. No doubt some numpty would use it as an excuse to assault a member of staff and then the company are open to all sorts of financial claims. I can already hear the insurance company saying "we won't pay out...".

Mel Gibson's The Passion of Christ also attracted a lot of ire from religious groups at the time, with cinemas refusing to show it. Ironically, that was from the Jewish quarter who saw the portrayal of Jews as being very, um, unflattering. Mel Gibson is well known to have anti-semitic views so that didn't help. There were Christian objections too, if I remember correctly.

Sadly, it's what happens when you threaten someone's views of their chosen Sky Fairy Myths.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #22949189th Jun 2022 9:45 am
James W

Saudi Arabia 

There is another way....

https://www.deseret.com/2016/11/16/2060059...ly-working

“The playbill ad is another example of the LDS Church’s savvy response to ‘The Book of Mormon’ musical,” Thomas said. “Instead of protesting the musical, which is something that many would do, especially religious organizations, they made a bold and deliberate decision to embrace the situation. They have taken something that could have been detrimental to the church’s missionary efforts and made it positive.”
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #22949299th Jun 2022 10:42 am
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Censorship by implied threat of violence is quite worrying but seems to be An Accepted Thing these days. I don't know why there hasn't been a stampede of MPs coming forward to condemn it but David Amess' death may have made them less willing to stick their heads above the parapet. IMHO, any belief-system that can't take a bit of scrutiny/criticism/humour appears weak.

Margaret Attwood recently tried to burn a burn-proof version of The Handmaid's Tale in a protest against book-burning and censorship.

I think I'm living in some of the most bigoted and intolerant times I can remember.

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #22949469th Jun 2022 12:08 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

James W wrote:
There is another way....

https://www.deseret.com/2016/11/16/2060059...ly-working

“The playbill ad is another example of the LDS Church’s savvy response to ‘The Book of Mormon’ musical,” Thomas said. “Instead of protesting the musical, which is something that many would do, especially religious organizations, they made a bold and deliberate decision to embrace the situation. They have taken something that could have been detrimental to the church’s missionary efforts and made it positive.”

Yes, a grown-up response rather than a petulant one from a group that has reacted before they even know what it is that is making them angry.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #22949539th Jun 2022 12:36 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

HWN wrote:

I think I'm living in some of the most bigoted and intolerant times I can remember.

Interesting thought. I'd suggest, respectfully of course, that there has always been a huge amount of bigotry and intolerance it's just that it was the accepted norm. Would Alan Turing have died in more tolerant times, for example?

The thing about reminiscence is that it's not what it used to be... Whistle Rolling with laughter
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #22949549th Jun 2022 12:39 pm
HWN

Alan Turing took his cyanide sixteen years before I was born, thank you very much, Wayne! You are probably right in many respects and I've lived a life that hasn't been subject to true prejudice. If I look back thirty years, "different" sexual preferences were widely accepted amongst my age group (indeed, every girl at University told me they were a lesbian) and the most visible instances of racism were non-white vs non-white.

Two or three years ago this country was about the most tolerant and accepting of differences that I can remember.

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #22949569th Jun 2022 12:59 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

internet, social media, live TV on demand all has a part to play? News didn't travel as fast/far further back in time. Anything that happens now is 'instant' and goes 'viral' within minutes/hours and is lapped up by people that can't go ten seconds without looking at their phone. Add in 'keyboard warrior' bravado and its a recipe for hatred and bile to spew forth.

I also see the 'politics' and peer pressure as a big part, we've seen every politician, 'celebrity' (whether A or Z list) and 'influencers' jump on bandwagons because FOMO, not wanting themselves to be 'judged' if not 'for' or 'against' something and the sheer stupidity of a growing percentage of people that actually believe Tik-Tok, FB, tw@tter, etc. as the gospel of truth Rolling Eyes

It obviously does a lot of good too and I'm sure we couldn't just 'switch it all off' now without an impact on our day-to-day living.

Post #229505710th Jun 2022 7:46 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Good point astonbuilder.

The upside of the information technology is that ideas can spread far and wide very quickly - a potentially good thing - but also we have the issue that the algorithms that power much of social media are self-reinforcing. People go and look at an issue and the algorithms pick up on that and send more and more of the same type of information about the issue. You then get people who only see one side of an argument and they get deeper and deeper in to that side. They become extremists in some cases. This reinforcement isn't new, of course, as it basically happened in towns and villages back in the day via institutions like the church or the local big landowner who expected "his people" to follow his lead on things.

The algorithms are a classic example of the law of unintended consequences biting. The algorithms were developed to help target adverts at people based on what they were searching for. Ok, that's reasonable albeit a touch Big Brother, but they've been used to target the general viewing habits too, which means you get the same type of stuff fired a you day after day. A good example is Sky's latest offering - it uses your viewing habits to show you things you'll want to watch (it assumes you do, anyway). The result is that people won't see lots of other stuff unless they get directed to it by word of mouth from others and specifically search for it. We can see how easily that sort of directed viewing allows people to see only the news shows etc., that the system shows them. You end up with a Russian style controlled media via the back door.

It's potentially scary stuff. There are any number of dystopian books and films that have effectively foretold of these things. We are in danger of living the fiction.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #229506710th Jun 2022 8:58 am
HWN

The algorithms cause "echo chambers" and "social bubbles". Nadine Dorris recently asked Microsoft when they were "going to get rid of algorithms" - at least she didn't ask to be able to hold one or ask how much they weigh. Rolling Eyes

I do try to force myself to look at things on YouTube that are opposite to my own views but quite often it just puts my blood-pressure up!

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #229507110th Jun 2022 9:05 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

YouTube is a great example of these reinforcing algorithms. I sometimes play around and watch entirely different stuff just to see how quickly the system starts to push more of the new stuff towards me. A game of virtual catch-me-if-you-can Laughing . It's also interesting to see how it throws up some stuff from my viewing history that seems at odds with the rest of its suggested viewing.

Tracking by the likes of Google is impressive too. If you have a Google account linked to your phone (I'm going to guess Apple does similar things), go and look at your timeline. It records places you've visited (or things close by to where you've been which could be embarrassing if a spouse is accused of cheating based on their apparent timeline). It can be useful - t'other day someone asked me for a report following a visit that I'd done. I was sure that I hadn't been there on the day in question but they were adamant. I checked my Google timeline (I use Google maps to plan my route and provide satnav facilities) and could see that I was right. Turns out they'd got me muddled with someone else. But it's scary how much information the likes of Google hold on all of us even if we try not to be too online in our habits.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #229509010th Jun 2022 10:12 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >