Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

oil pump belts etc
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
supersiecosse

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Are these seals the type that need time to shrink back to size for a proper seal before starting engine...??
I may be wrong but some seals require a settling in period to create a tight seal....ie...shrink to fit. 4hrs plus I believe?

Someone may correct me on this because I myself am unsure of the nature of these seals.
I have seen on you tube a case of a rear crank seal on a 300tdi requiring 4hrs plus to shrink back to size before engine starting or it will not create an Oil tight seal.

Might be something or nothing and apologies if am talking Goose sh#t....just offering a possible cause of your issues. Thumbs Up

Post #21773241st Oct 2020 11:52 pm
ronald.soak

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

The very good AF guide, on how to fit an oil pump, advises to wait 10 seconds after pressing in the seal, (with the special tool), before releasing the pressure.
It also advises not to apply any lubricant to the seal as this may result in damage to the engine.

Whilst posting I have to say that the independents who have advised you will have a lot more experience than myself but for those without that experience it pays to follow the manual and when it says use a new bolt and do it up to a specified torque plus another 90 degrees it seems foolhardy to use a previously stressed bolt and to lubricate it with lockseal so you have no idea what torque has been applied. A more relaxed approach may be ok on engines with a key to lock the pulley to the crankshaft but when the survival of your engine is dependent on the grip provided by the bolt it seems unwise to depart from the recommended procedure.

Finally, a search of posts by the independent repairers on this forum may convince you to bite the bullet and get a genuine pump or risk having to do the job again before very long.

Sorry that you are having such a frustrating time and to preach but wish you success.

Post #21773362nd Oct 2020 1:10 am
bembo449

When i did my belts and oil pump , the seal instructions said it had to sit for 24hrs before starting the car , something to do with what the seal was made from , does it not say that in your fitting guide ??

Post #21773392nd Oct 2020 5:36 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The new seals i have fitted on other vehicles are made of ptfe and have a coating to help bond them in place and have to be put in dry on clean surfaces.
I dont know if the VR ones are the same? But they are not the same as the genuine ones.

If you read some of the other threads Disco-mickey recommends that you only use genuine seals and Flack says that he uses the VR ones but has had the seal pop out after it didnt go in square.

Post #21773432nd Oct 2020 7:17 am
Bazross

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks guys ok going to order a lr seal and bolt today and make a pressing in tool on the lathe .
I'll report back with a result .
Regards Bax

Post #21773552nd Oct 2020 8:02 am
Bazross

Ok long story short .
Had a long chat to landrover mechanic well respected at Steve parkers Landrover.
He convinced my to buy a gen pump and seal and leant me the installation tool ( thanks kevin).
So I redone the lot today and had to buy anothet timing brlkit as the other new one got wetted with oil .
Used the tool and gave it 5hrs as i rebuilt the rest nice and slowly .
Took it for a 15 mile test run and kept checking it all through the run .
All good no leaks .
The previous times it leaked and pushed out withing 2-3 miles .
Its cost me a fortune trying to cut cost and buying cheap parts .
DONT DO IT that level of work and time although easy enough you should only use the genuine parts from LR .
If it says you need a fitting tool you heed a fitting tool .
Thanks for all the replys and I hope my trials and tribulations can help someone and stop them making the same mistake .
Regards Baz

Post #21775072nd Oct 2020 7:52 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Can’t remember what pump you got the first time.
But did you notice much difference in the case markings ?

Post #21776353rd Oct 2020 12:19 pm
Bazross

It was the britpart pump and was produced in China.
No real difference except for the flats inside the pump drive on the britpart they were sloppy on the shaft the LR pump was tight and felt better as it was offered to the crank shaft .
When the seal was pushed in it was tight and resisted somewhat the britpart while not exactly falling in was much less resistive

Post #21776433rd Oct 2020 1:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >