Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

multiple electrical faults.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

dan.137 wrote:
so I took the tcm off a few weeks back and noticed a lot of green coloured corrosion inside one of the connectors. I cleaned it up and put it back on but made no difference. maybe I need to get the code cleared to see what comes back on.
hdc button can be freely pressed up and down but makes no difference to what is happening.
I will try and remove the faulty bumper lights this week to see if it makes a difference.
the battery was putting out 12v with the car off
14v with the engine sat at 1500 rpm
didn't check anything else?
yes my srs light is on permanently.
it happened before and I changed the clock spring which sorted it but then came back on about a year after I changed that. now I see its the seatbelt restraint I can replace that.
don't apologise for asking questions you guys are trying to help me out. 👍

Many thks for answering my essay Laughing

Plus 1, ref battery as the other members have mentioned

Also have a yuasa , 019 , really pleased with it , got one from halfords , reason being is if it goes wrong under the warrenty don’t have to mess around retuning it via a courier, plus noted some won’t accept batteries

Plus if u get a battery from a shop plse check the date , in case it’s been on the shelf a long time , they can also test it before it’s fitted , I then gave it a full charge at home

Indeed, clear ur codes and see what comes back

Ref seat belt tensioner , u can easily see if it’s fired because of the plastic Concertina cover will be squashed , I’ll find a pic for u

normally the wire just has a bad connection or if u move ur seat , please make sure not to pull on the wires with the battery still connected , to be safe , disconnect both leads on the battery , wait 30 x mins then check all ur wiring , just so u know it won’t trigger the airbag system

So please see how u get on after fitting a new battery , they last around 5 x years so if it’s is older than that, replace it, particularly as also mentioned ref winter coming up , clearing codes and then see what comes back

Could always leave the light for now , do ur battery and codes first as indeed a low battery can cause all sorts of issues

No worries and glad it helped

Plse let us know how u get on

Post #21720216th Sep 2020 6:26 pm
gstuart

PROFSR G wrote:
You want to see 12.6 v or above before start which should then rise to around 14.7 after start on a cold engine.

This will drop to between roughly 13.7 v and 14.3 v when warmed up. In your case 12.0 v before start is about 25 % charge so you're going to have a host of issues with that!

Get yourself a new battery (Yuasa HB019/20. Either come with 5 yrs warranty and you won't go wrong. Thumbs Up

Hi mate

Plus 1 ref the yuasa 019 , really pleased with it and a lot better than the Exide , indeed came with a 5 year warrenty via halfords inc trade card Thumbs Up

Ps, the 020 won’t fit Whistle

Post #21720236th Sep 2020 6:29 pm
dan.137

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

yeah thats true 👍

Post #21720246th Sep 2020 6:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gstuart

Few pics just to show what the seat belt pre tensioners look like if they’ve fired

Also know what u mean ref clock spring , tested mine when I also had some issues Thumbs Up

Post #21720256th Sep 2020 6:35 pm
dan.137

ok thanks a lot. is it easy to get to them? might fit a new one of those this week too. at least will get rid of one of the dash lights 😂

Post #21720286th Sep 2020 6:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gstuart

Hi dan

Ur very welcome , yes can replace them without removing the seat

might also have to reset the crash data via diagnostics , but see if the code clears after checking wiring or replaced , can get them second hand off ebay , there also sided

Plus the wires that go into the black seat connector block u can’t get them into the wrong place , all of them are keyed in a certain way , but of course if I may say , have to disconnect the battery first and wait 30 x mins

First check the plastic if its squashed , then check the connector block , the wires might also be pulled taught

Hope that helps Thumbs Up

Ps, as a side note and hope u don’t mind me mentioning it , plse don’t ever be tempted to put a multimeter onto the airbag system, as there can be a risk of firing with the voltage from the multimeter,

Post #21720306th Sep 2020 6:50 pm
dan.137

thanks to all that messaged and helped. I'm going to put a new battery on this week and see if it helps. I will let you all know how it goes. fingers crossed 🤞

Post #21720486th Sep 2020 7:55 pm
dan.137

quick update. I put a new battery on this morning and the lights are still on 😭

Post #21721807th Sep 2020 1:46 pm
gstuart

Hi dan

Great u got a new battery , hope u don’t mind me asking , what make did u go for in the end plse

did u charge it up before fitting it or have a CTEK so can charge it on the landy plse

Personally when I got new battery , after charging it I then rechecked what the standing Vdc was after leaving it a few hours from removing the charger , then done it with the engine running @2,000 with everything on, lights , aircon , etc etc

Then do a hard reset , by removing both leads from the battery , then only touching the leads together for around 5 x mins , ensuring either lead doesn’t touch the battery posts

Know it’s long winded but then I knew it’s working correctly and could move on

Then, With the battery disconnected , waiting 30x mins, check that drivers seat belt pre tensioner , seeing that’s showing a permanent error

Then clear the codes and see what comes back , alas know it can be frustrating but indeed have to go through it step by step, ensuring things are 100% before moving on, don’t be tempted to skip any steps, seeing these are complicated beasts

Hope that helps Thumbs Up

Post #21721937th Sep 2020 2:30 pm
dan.137

I got a yuasa 019 5000 series.
no I didn't check it before I put it on. I removed old battery and did a hard reset then put the new battery on.
maybe il remove it all at the weekend and charge it, at the same time check the seatbelt pretensioner.
next step i think will be the tccm.
if the don't work god knows what I will do.

Post #21722367th Sep 2020 6:20 pm
dan.137

oh I forgot to mention i don't have a diagnostic tool I got a garage to read my codes when I asked him to clear them he said no point they will just come back on?

Post #21722377th Sep 2020 6:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >