Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Air Con/Climate Control
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I share your frustration, but to be fair it's not the Disco's fault either. That leak in your pic is so obvious it should have been picked up by the technician if he'd bothered to look.

It's been said on here many times before, find yourself a good LR indy who will do it right.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #216901021st Aug 2020 12:56 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

ofob69 wrote:

So, first hit. Took off front grill and there is a damp triangle on the bottom of the condenser, offside. Looks like this might be the problem. What really p!sses me off is that this wasn't spotted when the leak test was done.

As I said with the Disco, you try and do a job properly and you still find you have to do it again.

I do like the car but if I didn't do the work myself I would be bankrupt by now and every job I find I am doing twice......

Sorry, had my rant

What sort of leak test?
If vac test, not really worth the paper it is written on.
If nitrogen then he should have found the leak.

Post #216903921st Aug 2020 3:27 pm
JDB

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I think Nitrogen leak detection is what I need next - anyone know a Hampshire mobile or other? Thanks

Post #216904121st Aug 2020 3:34 pm
PROFSR G

By the looks of it you don't need a leak test, you need a new condenser. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #216904221st Aug 2020 3:42 pm
ofob69

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

New condenser ordered, will fit next week and then get the air con man back.

We have a good local LR independent but he is certainly not cheap and if I had to pay his prices I would get rid of the Disco.

Problem is with dealers (even Indy's), their labour costs are so high all they can do is change out major parts, so when the entertainment system went up the spout a few years back, I thought it would be just the amp to change out (£1,000) but it wasn't it was the head unit as well (another £1,000) and of course LR cleverly solder all joints (or is it Harmon Kardon) so I couldn't find any one to repair so a bill of £2,000. I never did find out whether he just ordered an amp, replaced it, found it didn't sort problem and then ordered head unit and in fact the Amp was fine all the time.

The suspension compressor went. £1,000 to replace. I bought a rebuild kit for £74, works great.

Post #216907021st Aug 2020 6:34 pm
PROFSR G

Quote:
ofob69 The suspension compressor went. £1,000 to replace. I bought a rebuild kit for £74, works great.

So what have you learned so far? Laughing

If you can do it yourself then that's the way to go, and save the pennies for the bits you can't tackle at home. The advice is always on here to help you get it done, or at the very least equip you to take on the workshop when they get it wrong. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #216907721st Aug 2020 7:13 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

ofob69 wrote:
and of course LR cleverly solder all joints (or is it Harmon Kardon) so I couldn't find any one to repair.

Sorry to say, but really good audio equipment belongs to be soldered.... don’t blame that stuff...
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #216908521st Aug 2020 7:25 pm
ofob69

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Yes, agree on the solder joints but solder joints and be unsoldered. I guess, at the time, I couldn't believe the cost of the amp and the head unit and at that cost I was amazed I couldn't find anyone to repair either of the units as I would have thought that would be a lucrative business for a good electronics engineer.....

I also agree on doing as much on these and all cars as you can, I just find it frustrating that when you do pay someone to do the work (who comes with good reviews) you still end up with a load of work at the end. Perhaps the condenser sprung a leak after he tested and filled system, who knows.

We've run a little Golf Tdi almost from new, its now done 110,000 miles and never a whimper, we've run the Disco from new, its done 83,000 miles and I'm just waiting for the next thing to go wrong.......

Sorry, ranting again Evil or Very Mad

Post #216909421st Aug 2020 7:40 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

ofob69 wrote:
I just find it frustrating that when you do pay someone to do the work (who comes with good reviews) you still end up with a load of work at the end.

it was already completely empty you said yourself earlyer... when it is, it is leaking otherwise it is not 100% empty...

tbh you could have known.... Wink

you have two options then... fill it, with a ultraviolet compound to detect the leak later... (at the cost of a new refill after detection) or... just replace all the possible parts who look or can be suspicious) and then refill

ofob69 wrote:
Perhaps the condenser sprung a leak after he tested and filled system, who knows.
nahhhh i do not believe that, but also do not blame that guy...

when you pressurise systems, very small leaks can go away due to the high pressure, so you measure nothing regarding leaks........ but when the pressure drops over night in a colder non running car... the fluid flows slowly away... in time...

(we see it in diving equipment (tank valves) sometimes.... 200 bar, no leaks... 100 bar no leaks, less then 10 or 5 bars... it leaks...)
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #216910221st Aug 2020 8:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >