Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

Adaptive Cruise Control 2016 Discovery 4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 28 <123 ... 789 ... 262728>
hgrimmett

2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Dondiddy wrote:
I do not think that the switchpack you have bought will work. When getting the bits together to do mine I picked up a Range Rover Sport steering wheel from a 2010 car and tried the switchpack in mine. The switches did not light up when the sidelights were switched on and the cruise (normal) did not work with a cruise not available message. I believe that due to canbus changes in 2013 the earlier switchpacks will not work.You need LR062416 for colour keyed wheel or LR062417 for gloss black which will work with a later D4
If you have a later D4 I would avoid if possible using the Range Rover Sport switchpacks as they are very Vin specific and if can be almost impossible to try and work out which ones will work with your car. Also if you stick with the D4 switches you only need to buy a single switchpack. There is no need to buy both sides.

Thanks, this makes sense. FWIW Patrick (GAP) says the switch packs aren't flashable.
 -------------------------------------------------------------------
D4 '15 (64) Se Tech Indus Silver
Tesla Model Y LR (22)
Audi TT Roadster 225 (52)
Tesla Model 3 LR (70) (gone)
Porsche Boxster '96 2.5 5spd project (P)
Mini R52 S (54)
BMW 330e eDrive MSport '16 (gone)
D3 '07 (56) XS TDV6 Buckingham Blue (gone) 

Post #21915624th Dec 2020 9:56 pm
hgrimmett

Dondiddy wrote:
I do not think that the switchpack you have bought will work. When getting the bits together to do mine I picked up a Range Rover Sport steering wheel from a 2010 car and tried the switchpack in mine. The switches did not light up when the sidelights were switched on and the cruise (normal) did not work with a cruise not available message. I believe that due to canbus changes in 2013 the earlier switchpacks will not work.You need LR062416 for colour keyed wheel or LR062417 for gloss black which will work with a later D4
If you have a later D4 I would avoid if possible using the Range Rover Sport switchpacks as they are very Vin specific and if can be almost impossible to try and work out which ones will work with your car. Also if you stick with the D4 switches you only need to buy a single switchpack. There is no need to buy both sides.

Thank you for posting. It's en route to me, so will be shortly be appearing for sale on here I expect!! Good advice on the rest, thanks.
Tesla Model Y LR (22)
Mini R52 S (54)

Post #21915714th Dec 2020 10:30 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

i guess this should work fine than: https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/440...ring_wheel
G

Post #21916125th Dec 2020 9:55 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Try Rimmer Brothers at Lincoln, they usually give 10% discount, very reliable, long established, highly recommended. Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #21916145th Dec 2020 10:13 am
Dondiddy

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

grzesiul wrote:
i guess this should work fine than: https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/440...ring_wheel
G

Yes that is the one to use If it matches the colour of the RH switchpack otherwise you would get the gloss black one. As mentioned rimmer bros or if you are local to a dealer try them as there will not be any carriage to pay from them even when they have to order it in. they can usually get it for the next day. Thumbs Up

Post #21916195th Dec 2020 10:38 am
hgrimmett

M3DPO wrote:
Try Rimmer Brothers at Lincoln, they usually give 10% discount, very reliable, long established, highly recommended. Thumbs Up

+1 for Rimmer Bros Thumbs Up , they were great getting me new sunroof drain tubes at very short notice last week
Tesla Model Y LR (22)
Mini R52 S (54)

Post #21916335th Dec 2020 11:26 am
M3DPO

RATA1 wrote:
M3DPO wrote:
Where is the loom available from?

You need to make your own up if you don't have it already installed and route it best you can.

I have yet to do this as I am waiting forr all the bits and reserve a few days, but in my head the method would be:

Assume 5m of cable for each as excess can be removed at the final 18 way connector stage. It is cheap enough to look at.
Assume bumper is off and the radar unit is fitted and aligned.
Pre-twist the CAN cables with 1 twist per inch but leave some untwisted as it will maybe be easier to feed through the firewall if not twisted but twist as soon as it pops out the other side.
Do not twist the CAN bus wires with other wires.

1. Take the battery out to access the engine fuse box to put the BATT feed in and the firewall - need a latching spade connector crimped on the end to fit in the empty half of fuse 7.
2. Terminate the GND - need to crimp a eye connector on this.
3. Feed the remaining three cables through the firewall to the passenger compartment.
4. Access the CJB and fit the IGN feed - you need add a pin in the green multi way socket so the connector needs to be disassembled. Fues 6P should already be fitted.
5. Find somewhere to splice into the HS CAN. Twisting remaining cable length if needed.
6. Once all connected, dress/wrap the cables in, working back from the battery box either over the back of the engine bay with the existing loom and down the driver's side (original routing I think) or straight down the passenger side with the bonnet release cable. I will use non-split convoluted tubing to protect the cable.
7. Present the cable to the cross member/radar with enough slack.
8. Make up and connect the 18 way connector for the radar unit. Connections are the following;
    Pin 1 = BATT 10A fuse 7E - Purple/Orange 0.75 CSA
    Pin 3 = GND - Black 0.5 CSA
    Pin 7 = HS CAN L - Yellow/Black 0.35 CSA
    Pin 8 = HS CAN H - Yellow/Brown 0.35 CSA
    Pin 10 = IGN 5A 6P - White/Red 0.5 CSA

Once all connected and happy...replace the battery, ensure the radar is recognised, program and update FW as required.
Replace the bumper and go for a drive to calibrate/test it.

So a fair bit of manual work taking things out/off but electrically pretty simple.
It might be possible to pre-make the cable but the pin for the CJB will still need to be crimped on so better to make it as you go to get it all neat.

Feel free to comment as it is v1.0 Wink

As I have power to fuse 7 and I am connecting to the HS can in the aux battery box do I need to go through the firewall?- which means I can jump steps 3 and 4.
Are crimp on splices good enough or do the splices need to be soldered?
Are all radar sensors 16 socket as some seem to be 5?- is this something to be aware of when buying?
Where can the 16 pin plug be obtained from?
What is a latching spade connector?- are they easily obtained?

Post #21917936th Dec 2020 9:03 am
RATA1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Hello.
I haven't verified the HS bus is there, but colours and ABS suggest it is as the latter uses it.
Connect how you like but it needs to be waterproof there. I wouldn't use a scotchlock and would want it removable just in case. I was looking to do it there myself but re-pining it in the connector. Solder joints become weak and are not my favourite. But that's just me.

Fuse 6 in the passenger compartment is the IGN feed so that needs to be done through the firewall to be as close to original as poss, else you need to pick up a fused 5A iGN from somewhere else.

The ones you want are 18 not 16 and are what you need as the other are probably incompatable. If you try one I suggest temporary cabling/mounting to see before doing the final fix.
Martin located the connector for me (us Smile) and I have one already - but no radar yet, so he can sort that.
I won't be doing mine for a few weeks as need the car for work, assuming I get a radar soon.
I'll type up how it works out for me Smile
Cheers
 In today's world, if you contribute something, you don't contribute enough. If you contribute nothing, you receive everything.

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #21918076th Dec 2020 10:01 am
M3DPO

The second battery box connection has been suggested in an earlier post by Wiggs, but that was for a D3, I too can see the connector and twisted cables of the correct colour.
I am still not convinced about the type of radar sensor and the connector, all the sensors with the recomended type number I have looked at on EBay have what look like 8 pins

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #21918696th Dec 2020 1:33 pm
Dondiddy

The radars in the photos are from 2020 and given how much has been updated in recent years as on the D5 ,Velar etc I do not think they are suitable. Although there are 16 pins connectors only 5 wires are actually used,(IIRC) The radar units are not cheap and it is a lot of work to fit it and find out that it is not compatible. I would stick with the earlier DPLA-FPLA- etc units as close to your own model year as you can.This is also the advice that was given by Pat at Gap who will supply the correct firmware if it is needed. Also it is important when looking at making up the wiring yourself that the D3 and D4 are different in that the D3 has a separate ECU for the ACC where as the D4 has it built into the radar unit.

Post #21918736th Dec 2020 1:48 pm
RATA1

It's a 18 pin connector, my earlier post shows the connector from the manual and the wiring pin outs and how it might be approached WRT the power and HSCAN.
Up to you how you want to attack it or substitute components but it is a lot of work to find out it won't work or your wiring is wrong and/or you just blew your radar unit Sad
 In today's world, if you contribute something, you don't contribute enough. If you contribute nothing, you receive everything.

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #21918786th Dec 2020 2:04 pm
M3DPO

That’s why I’m doing as much research for information as possible, I have a 2014my facelift with SS and as I understand it the can bus was changed in this year, although that may be exclusive to the RRS, if it was changed it means I a m limited to a Radar sensor in the years between 2014 and the upgrade to 8 pin socket that all later sensors seem to be,being new to this mod I stand to be corrected. Bow down

Post #21918866th Dec 2020 3:56 pm
RATA1

The research has already been done and fitted by a few already using the 18 pin radar of the 2012 to 2016 D4/RR.

This unit is shared with other vehicles but I am only interested in what works on my D4 not what might, could or should Smile

I have a 2014 FL too without the cable but the wiring diagrams I have looked at say it is a 18 pin connector.

If Pat and Dondiddy say get one as close to your year as possible then that is what I am doing.

Can't see any benefit in straying from a proven path myself while xPLA's are available. If it works then great if it is cheaper but surely it will only work as well as a xPLA so newer isn't any better when you have to get the FW flashed to "old" xPLA?
I just bought a DPLA-9G768-AD on eBay for £160 so they are available. You just have to be patient. (And lucky as if this one doesn't work I'll have to start again Sad )

Just my thoughts Smile

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #21918936th Dec 2020 4:59 pm
Dondiddy

For anyone considering this mod that does not have the wiring this one on Ebay might be useful.No connection to the seller! See :Ebay item number: eBay Item No. 193761656155

Post #21919256th Dec 2020 7:00 pm
hgrimmett

RATA1 wrote:

OK - I had (and currently still have Sad) dumb CC but have both the 10 and the 4 way cable/connectors so when I fitted my new switch pack it was same as the old one.
I have heated wheel (but that is the other side) and flappy paddles so maybe there is the difference and why the additional 4 way is required. It just uses a resistive ladder I believe.
From the electrical diagram I looked at it just showed the vol +/- OK, set, res cruise with ACC etc. on the 10 way. So the additional 4 way may not be required if you don't have paddles?

You're right, the additional harness is for flappy paddles, which I already have Sad The cruise controls is all CAN so obviously no extra wires required! FFS, so far I've wasted £120... hey ho, you live and learn.
Tesla Model Y LR (22)
Mini R52 S (54)

Post #21921297th Dec 2020 2:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 8 of 28 <123 ... 789 ... 262728>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >