Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Redpath Tyres Edinburgh
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
col07

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Redpath Tyres Edinburgh

After spending 2 days fighting the D3 to replace the rear upper and lower suspension arms, knuckle bushes, and ant-role bar bushes and drop links I thought the easy bit would be the wheel alignment. Put the car into Redpath Edinburgh to have the 4 wheel alignment carried out and stated on arrival that the rear suspension components had been changed and would almost certainly need adjustment.

The technician drove the car in and put it on the ramp. He then attached the Hunter kit and although the screen was a little far away, it looked to me like the rear was showing all red.
He then proceeded to make two minor adjustments to the front toe and proceeded to drive it off the ramp much to my surprise.

After bringing the car round he stated that the rear did not require adjustment. I told him of my surprise at this as the rear suspension components had all been changed and that it would be extremely unlikely that they were correctly aligned. He looked a little worried but continued to insist that the alignment was OK and that the car "drove fine" and that I must have been "lucky". Paid my bill but did not get the before and after report that they state you will get on their website.

It may have been my imagination, but to my eye the N/S rear looked to be significantly different in Camber to the O/S and both the Toe angles looked wrong.

As I was going to Galashiels anyway I phoned one of my customers in Selkirk to see if they had alignment kit. Luckily, they had purchased a Hunter system about 6 weeks ago and they told me to bring it in.

Once on the system it was obvious that the N/S rear camber was miles out of alignment and the O/S rear also needed adjustment although not quite as bad. Both the rear Toe angles were also miles out. Front was fine although OS front Castor was a little out.

All adjusted up with before and after report supplied. Technician stated that he knew it needed adjustment when I drove in as the rear wheels just looked wrong.

I had previously used Redpath for wheel alignment after changing the front arms and on that occasion they also stated that the rears were fine. Again no report. I now find this hard to believe considering the state of the bushes that were replaced.

I have emailed them twice with copies of the report and asked for their comments. To date - no reply, so posting this here.

Moral of this long winded story is to make sure you obtain the before and after print out and if they say they can't give you one then ask to view the alignment computer screen while they carry out the work. Technician at Selkirk told me that some technicians don't like adjusting the rear alignment as it is more difficult and time consuming than the front due to access to the bolts, seized bolts, etc.

Post #166925418th Jun 2016 9:44 am
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The clown that didn't carry out the necessary work, and fraudulently told you that everything was within tolerances should be instantly dismissed. In my experience also, there are too many people like this, in that particular line of business. UNEMPLOYABLE IMHO. Shocked
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #166926418th Jun 2016 10:07 am
col07

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

In these days of Social Media and forums such as this - reputations are hard won and easy lost. I worked in the motor trade for over 15 years for a company that were main dealers for a variety of manufacturers. The experience has shown me that I would rather find a good local independent whose reputation is known than go to main dealers who seem to think that you have to use them if you want decent service.
Unfair to tar every main dealer with the same brush I know, but a small independent is more invested in customer service than the big dealers.

I am not unreasonable when it comes to customer service, and I would rather someone told me the truth than lied in an effort to try and get away with it. Honesty goes a long way.

Post #166929218th Jun 2016 11:10 am
JMack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

If it's the Redpath branch at South Gyle, their report printer seems to have been out of action for a while now.

I had the full 4 wheel alignment done and got a before and after print-out from them when they fitted my winter tyres.
Then a wee while back I had a screw in one tyre/slow puncture so went back to them to see if they could repair it. They said yes and took the car in, after removing the wheel the 'mechanic' called me through and asked if I wanted my alignment checked as there was a bit of uneven wear on the front tyres.

I informed him that they did the alignment a couple of months previous, but yes he should double check it.

No print-out available this time, and just a note on the invoice that they checked and adjusted wheel alignment (or words to that affect) They just charged for the tyre repair.

I've seen them recommended elsewhere and had a reasonable experience my first visit, but don't think I'd recommend them again or go back myself.

Post #166930018th Jun 2016 11:23 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Pro-Grip are down your way. Sent a few customers that way (after a couple of recommendations) and no one has a bad word to say about them

Must look into my own alignment kit soon. It's painful paying someone else to do it for me Big Cry Laughing
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #166930118th Jun 2016 11:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muddywheels4wd

England 

Blimey - I was at school with the son when they were a little garage in Duns - They've expanded considerably Shocked
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day! 

Post #166931018th Jun 2016 11:47 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I still use the Duns one now and then....never had any bother Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #166934718th Jun 2016 1:01 pm
muddywheels4wd

England 

It's a bit far for me now Laughing
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day! 

Post #166936218th Jun 2016 1:38 pm
john watson

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

+1 re mikeys recommendation. If peckish you can always sprint across the grass to mathesons for a pie and sausage roll as you wait!

Post #166937718th Jun 2016 2:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >