Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Dealer Service - Am I being unreasonable?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
HughMartin

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
Dealer Service - Am I being unreasonable?

My D4 went into franchised dealer for an "A" service plus transfer box oil change.

Invoice included (amongst the other normal items);-

PART NO. DESCRIPTION
1013938. Plug, oil drain
STC 4687. Screen wash
STC 50545. Lubricant -UN1950 (200ml)
STC 50544. Cleaner-workshop-universal -UN1950
IYK500010. Oil Lubricant (2litres)

My first eyebrow was raised when I saw "Plug, oil drain". My understanding was that the old engine oil was sucked out from the top. The service agent said that sometimes they do it the old fashioned way because they can get a good look at the underneath of the engine when they remove the engine protection plate. When I got home, I had a look underneath the car and there was no way that plate had been removed recently. This didn't bother me too much except that I noticed signs of an oil leak which had been reported previously and allegedly fixed. Had the plate been removed, the technician would have seen the obvious leak and therefore should have reported it.

When I picked up the car, there was a aerosol can on the passenger seat which I assumed the technician had left by mistake. The service agent said they give one to every customer after a service. It wasn't until later that that I saw it was the STC50545 I had been charged £5 or so for. I don't want it as I have plenty WD40 at home.

The STC50544 is a can of brake cleaner. Did they use a whole can? I think not.

I then checked the washer fluid and it hadn't been topped up despite being charged £5 or so for fluid.

I then noticed I had been charged for two litres of transfer box oil (£20 a litre) when in fact only 1.5 litres is required for the transfer box.

The car is going back in to get the leak checked but should I make a fuss about the other items I have been overcharged for? I know they are nicknamed "Stealers" but I hate being ripped off in such an obvious manner.

Post #16369916th Apr 2016 9:22 pm
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Was it Peter Vardys, Aberdeen?

Post #16369936th Apr 2016 9:25 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

mine normally charges for getting rid of old filters ..oil and rags,,environmental charge sir

Post #16369946th Apr 2016 9:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Dealer Service - Am I being unreasonable?

HughMartin wrote:
My D4 went into franchised dealer

Spotted your 1st mistake Whistle Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #16369966th Apr 2016 9:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Deanos_Beano

England 

"The car is going back in to get the leak checked "

If they charged for a plug that wasnt removed then I'm afraid my car wouldnt be going back , its all about professionals charging for work done no room whatsoever for any amateurism or lies when dealing with such expensive and dangerous machines .
You usually find that although an attitude and approach may not always run through a business it does run through a service
My 2 cents

Post #16370036th Apr 2016 9:41 pm
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I would be raising a fuss... Paid for work that's clearly not been done. Get some pictures and date them, if you need to and they don't rectify their invoice a) you could sue, it's fraud or b) contact trading standards
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY12 D4 HSE - been and gome
MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #16370106th Apr 2016 9:48 pm
HughMartin

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

The Dundonian wrote:
Was it Peter Vardys, Aberdeen?

No it wasn't. I wouldn't go anywhere near them. I don't want to reveal the dealer until they have had a chance to recover the situation.

Disco_Mikey wrote:
HughMartin wrote:
My D4 went into franchised dealer

Spotted your 1st mistake Whistle Thumbs Up

Mike, you are probably correct. The only reason I used a franchised dealer was that I am on holiday right next to one, they provided a courtesy car, the total price wasn't to bad, I have had reasonable dealings with them before and it is where I bought the car. I would have done the service myself but I would have been risking the LR warranty. See my previous thread at http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic143196.html

Post #16370316th Apr 2016 10:16 pm
LandPhil

United Kingdom 

Sounds like you have lots to talk about when you get back to them, good luck. If I were you I would be asking for a credible explanation, which I cannot see being given, followed by a significant refund or "toys out of cot" job.

Years ago I put my car into a Ford main dealer to have a pinion seal repaired. They wanted it all day. In the early PM I took my father's car into the local town to do some shopping and to my surprise parked next to my car in a multi story car park. I immediately returned to garage to ask if it was ready and they told me it was in the workshop being worked on so I couldn't have it yet and I was not allowed in the workshop for safety reasons. You can finish the story anyway you want but suffice it to say I didnt pay for the work and as the tank was "full" when I took it in it was full whenI left.

Go get em.

PS mine's in next week for a B service so I'll be filling up my washers before dropping it off!!
 FFRR Westminster TDV8
D4 HSE MY12 Aintree Green. Great car
RRS HSE Lux MY11 Stornoway Grey
Freelander2 SD4 HSE-Best car I have ever owned. 

Post #16370476th Apr 2016 10:37 pm
MGCarr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

No you are not being at all unreasonable but unfortunately all of these items are regular profit maximisation scams used by dealers across the whole industry on private customers. Fleet operators pay people to scrutinise company car service bills in order to reject these sort of excess charges.

Just using one of your items as an example, the dealer will explain the reason you have been charged for 2 litres of transfer box fluid at £20 per litre is that the only way you can buy it is in 1 litre bottles and £20 is the retail price in their stores. This is true if you go into the parts department as a private customer, however I have been reliably informed by a parts manager from a LR dealer that he never supplies any transfer box fluid to his workshop as they get it in bulk from elsewhere. Even if the dealer you used is using the 1 litre bottles they are still making a 'free' £20 on every other vehicle they do a transfer box oil change on.

It is all a bit like David Cameron's dad's offshore tax avoidance schemes, probably not actually illegal but very underhanded, unhealthy and should be stamped out.

1997 Defender 90 for the kids and I to have a go at some competitive off road RTV and Tyro trials, daughter picked up her first trophy over the August Bank Holiday.
Previous Land Rover history
1996 P38 4.6 V8 Autobiography
1996 Discovery TDi 300
1972 Range Rover 3.5 V8
LWB Hard Top Series 3
LWB Truck Cab Series 2A
Not been without a Land Rover for over 40 years - I must need therapy! 

Post #16370877th Apr 2016 12:59 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I think the tfer box oil comes in 1 litre bottles.

Post #16371017th Apr 2016 6:38 am
blackdog1

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

LandPhil wrote:
Sounds like you have lots to talk about when you get back to them, good luck. If I were you I would be asking for a credible explanation, which I cannot see being given, followed by a significant refund or "toys out of cot" job.

Years ago I put my car into a Ford main dealer to have a pinion seal repaired. They wanted it all day. In the early PM I took my father's car into the local town to do some shopping and to my surprise parked next to my car in a multi story car park. I immediately returned to garage to ask if it was ready and they told me it was in the workshop being worked on so I couldn't have it yet and I was not allowed in the workshop for safety reasons. You can finish the story anyway you want but suffice it to say I didnt pay for the work and as the tank was "full" when I took it in it was full whenI left.

Go get em.

PS mine's in next week for a B service so I'll be filling up my washers before dropping it off!!
Shame you did not have a spare key you could have driven your car to the other side of the car park .  
Post #16371667th Apr 2016 11:12 am
markynicholls

United Kingdom 

I would be asking some questions about their pricing for certain. Even if they only used 1 litre bottles and had a spare half litre left I would be asking to have it (especially as you have paid for it) With regard the actual service are you sure they have even changed the oil? Sounds very suspect to me.

Post #16371727th Apr 2016 11:23 am
110CSW

United Kingdom 

How much did you pay? Personally for any service on any car I negotiate a price and then don't care how the invoice is made up as long as the work is all done.
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #16376628th Apr 2016 11:32 am
Dannyson

England 

Shocked Negotiate a price? Shocked I thought it was a bit like Sainsbury's - the price is what it is!! Confused
 2016MY Discovery HSE - Black
2009MY Toyota Land Cruiser (Lc4) - Black 

Post #16379418th Apr 2016 11:42 pm
Robse

United Kingdom 

What ?? Never !! Get prices from different dealers and beat them down !! Most will price match or go lower.
 Velar MY18 D180 S Narvik
Discovery MY2015 3.0 SDV6 SE Corris - Gone 

Post #16380099th Apr 2016 8:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >