Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Why do car dealers think we are all a bit dense?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
adeal3

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Why do car dealers think we are all a bit dense?

Contacted a main dealer about a Disco 4 on PCP. He was a nice enough chap but couldn't get that an APR of 11% was rather high in the current world. Tried the old monthly cost routine on me......which of course is driven by the interest rate. I do wish I could just find one that just said I need to make a bit of cash, you need a good deal and let's get somewhere we are both happy with, doing away with all the BS.

Post #161720227th Feb 2016 6:44 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Sort your own finance out?

Post #161722227th Feb 2016 7:22 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

One LR Dealer a few years ago lost a sale as salesman insisted in trying to sell me a specification I didn't want . I presume he would have got a bigger bonus. To add insult to injury when I met him later ( Me with my new LR from another dealer) , he wanted to know why I hadn't given him a chance to quote. I give up sometimes

Post #161722627th Feb 2016 7:31 pm
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

I contact my local dealer when I want a car. He quotes me, I then email every UK LR dealer quoting the figures and ask them to beat it.

Once my local dealer matched the cheapest. This year I found one a couple of hundred miles away. They were £2.5k cheaper, my local dealer couldn't get close, so I did the deal at a distance.

That said, another month, another garage might be cheaper, just depends on if they need to sell cars to hit targets.

Post #161724927th Feb 2016 8:24 pm
F355GTS

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Worth contacting Lloyds Bank, they're doing PCP at 3.6%
 Mark  
Post #161726627th Feb 2016 8:58 pm
J77

Scotland 

I walk in to a dealer knowing full well what the interest rates are. If I'm not happy I can always get my own, which can be a lot cheaper.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #161730227th Feb 2016 9:49 pm
WillyEckerslike

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It's the nature of the beast that car salesmen are full of bluster and more bull Censored than a herd of cows could produce in a lifetime.

Buying SWMBO's runabout 15 months or so ago, the dealers were trying to put the hard sell on the old favourite "paint and protection" package. A mere snip at AU $2200 (none of them stopped to do the maths to work out that was about 18% of the purchase price of the car).
The salesman I was dealing with was trying to tell me that it would only be "an extra couple of dollars a week" on the repayments.
"How can it be", I said, "when $2200 over an 18 month or 78 week term is at least $120 per month, or nearly $30 a week, excluding the 5% interest you're charging me"

They don't like people who can actually do mental arithmetic. Funny enough, the price of the "paint and protection package" which included window tinting, eventually came down to $395.

Post #161732527th Feb 2016 10:41 pm
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Fair point guys. The Clydesdale Bank is doing 3.4% APR for amount between £7.5k and £15k, that's half LR rate.

Post #161733727th Feb 2016 11:04 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Try Yorkshire Bank Asset Finance - same group as Clydesdale - do an HP scheme with a ballon at the end - smashed LR when I bought my D4 and Toyota when I bought the kids Aygo

Post #161743428th Feb 2016 9:21 am
RDR

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Classic car sales routine, all smoke and mirrors. With the dealer contributions, part x value being massaged its difficult sometimes to keep track on what they are doing for you. Ask them for their best written quote then walk away and ask as many other dealers what they can do to beat it then go back and show them the best quote. Keep an eye on the total amount paid for a true indication of the deal.

With regards to self finance at banks make sure to understand the difference between secured and unsecured lending products. A lot of unsecured lending can impact you credit rating Thumbs Up
 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #161744228th Feb 2016 9:31 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Why do car dealers think we are a bit dense..

I haven't put all because its not all...just lots
there are some dealers salesmen who are in my humble daft in thinking they can outwit or browbeat CUSTOMERS
Customers have legs fitted & the intelligence to use them to try elsewhere if they done like what they hear.

I have met & spoken to some real wallies aka sales executives...they think you dont know about the product (in lots of cases the customer knows far more as he has been & is most probably a user)

The times I have been in buying mode & I get the vibes that the sales man is using the wrong approach, technique, dealer principle "instructions" - I sate what I think is wrong & either walk away or speak to the dealer principle (the guy in the office who looks at you briefly when the salesman wants endorsement of the "deal")

The book I could write about buying my XK could be titled "how not to sell a car"...what a bunch of w@nkers we met.
Dealers seem to forget one critical thing....customers are the most important people they deal with

Hurst's - Belfast - brilliant...part of the Looker group...true people who ask about your needs, thoughts & limits.
Rocar - Huddersfield - not that good a while back....part of Perry's
Copley - Halifax...the place where the second rate con merchants from Rocar are sent to
Guy Salmons - Leeds - very helpful & informative
Farnell - off Manningham Lane, Bradford...diabolical, totally wrong
Motor Mall - St Helier...very very good
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #161746728th Feb 2016 10:19 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I've just bought a Skoda Yet for my wife. She knew what she wanted so really easy to get comparison prices.

I went into my local Bath dealer looked around the cars, was ignored by everyone and walked out. I ended up buying over the phone from a family owned dealer in Lincolnshire. Excellent service and price. No bull, no flannel just good service to give me what I wanted at the price I wanted. It was even delivered by the owner's son on the back of a transporter, to the photoshoot my wife was on, so as not to add any mileage on it.

I must say, its a brilliant car and beautifully made. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #161750528th Feb 2016 11:27 am
J77

Scotland 

I can't fault Pentland Cupar, I'm on my 8th LR from them and always get a good deal. They paid over the odds for my DS but that's not my worry.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #161750828th Feb 2016 11:32 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

I tried dealing with Cupar last month. They weren't interested. They must treat their regulars better, although I've had warranty work carried out by them and purchased accessories, so I am not totally unknown, although that shouldn't make a difference.

Post #161751928th Feb 2016 11:44 am
jim4244

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

My experience of my local dealerships

Marshall LR, Bedford - Sales staff always sitting around looking busy and can't be bothered to speak with potential customers. Have bought a FL2 from them in 2011. Censored me about when I wanted to buy new RRS in 2012. Couldn't be arsed to return my calls when I wanted to upgrade to an L494 in 2013.

Marshall LR, Peterborough - Sales staff totally demotivated, uninterested in selling cars. Booked an appointment to view an Evoque for my wife in 2013 but when we turned up to view the car it was up on large display ramps outside the dealership. We were told (by a 20 year old salesman who was playing a game on his phone) that it would be a lot of hassle to get it off the ramps unless we were 100% sure that we wanted to buy it. We waked out.

Stratstones LR, Milton Keynes (has now changed to Jardines) - Inflexible regards price, will try to bambuzal you into buying something that you do not want. Bought my first RRS from them in 2012 from a fantastic salesman who left just after our car was delivered. In 2013 put a deposit down on a new Evoque for Mrs Jim. When it arrived it had 400 miles on the clock and minor damage. Asked for our deposit back. Then Censored about by the salesman until I contacted the Dealer Principal.

Guy Salmon LR, Northampton - Always made to feel very welcome, even if you pop in without an appointment. Have just ordered my second L494 from them (they also supplied my first one) and have a good relationship with the sales and servicing team. Dealer Principal is very visible around the dealership and will always go that extra mile for customers, whether established or new.

Post #161752328th Feb 2016 11:58 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >