Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Why do car dealers think we are all a bit dense?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

I was talking to a Gentleman in a BMW dealer yesterday who was telling me his tips for dealing with sales staff and getting a new car discount.
Basically he treated the sales staff very mean, be prepared to walk out and compare prices from different dealers on the Internet playing one off against each other.
He did make me feel different about the sales staff as I've always been quite reserved with them in past but after our chat I let the kids crawl all over a new M6 in the showroom whilst we waited for our car and they never said a word.

He buys 14 new cars a year on average incl. Rolls, Porsche and BMWs.

Post #161752728th Feb 2016 12:09 pm
J77

Scotland 

I don't treat anybody mean, I tell them what I'm willing to pay if they can't get there then no sale simple.

My salesman says it's only a fleet company that's bought more cars than me.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #161754028th Feb 2016 12:50 pm
dantheman

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I used carwow as an experiment when we were lookingto change swmbo's car. You put in all the details you want and the dealers come to you with a price. Had some good offers in the end better than the local dealer could come up with.

Post #161755928th Feb 2016 1:25 pm
Robse

United Kingdom 

I've always found Marshalls sales in Peterborough and Bedford really good, they're just let down by the service department but I guess that's fairly normal.
 Velar MY18 D180 S Narvik
Discovery MY2015 3.0 SDV6 SE Corris - Gone 

Post #161756828th Feb 2016 1:37 pm
jim4244

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Isn't it funny how 2 customers can have completely different experiences at the same dealership?

I must admit that I have not been into Marshalls Bedford for well over a year now. Last time I went in and had a good poke around a RRS and Full Fat and not one salesman or woman even looked up from their desks let alone speak to me.

Peterborough I haven't been to since the Evoque incident lol..

Jim

Post #161757128th Feb 2016 1:43 pm
Robse

United Kingdom 

Same here !! Peterborough totally ballsed up my Evoque. Never been back....
 Velar MY18 D180 S Narvik
Discovery MY2015 3.0 SDV6 SE Corris - Gone 

Post #161759528th Feb 2016 2:33 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I have just bought a 14 month old Audi A3 from a local car supermarket. Great buying experience. Price was price. No push of finance. Test drives without booking. Different makes and models to compare side by side. RAC check. Oil and filter change and the bought some new Audi mats as they say they normally throw used away. Organised a rattle to be sorted by local Audi dealer under warranty. Oh, and it was £2k less than an Audi dealer.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #161760728th Feb 2016 3:03 pm
Pelyma

England 

dantheman wrote:
I used carwow as an experiment when we were lookingto change swmbo's car. You put in all the details you want and the dealers come to you with a price. Had some good offers in the end better than the local dealer could come up with.

I started with carwow when the dealer I've used for years thought doing a deal was list price less the discount they advertise. They put me onto Sturgess Leicester and the guy there was great, I was also introduced to Grange LR at Barnett and they had a sharper pencil, the experience was great too.

The biggest disappointment was to hear from a mate that my local dealer had been "bad mouthing" them. If you call answering people's questions why I drove 100 miles rather than the dealer 10 miles away is "bad mouthing" then I guess I'm guilty, but very unprofessional. When we can again I'm afraid they won't even get a look in.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #161761128th Feb 2016 3:25 pm
jim4244

I think that CarWow will gain in popularity over the coming years.

Before committing to my new L494 purchase I used them. Even though the JLR party line is that there are no discounts on new RRS, CarWow found me a dealer who was happy to provide a discount.

Some deals are stunning. I had a quote for a VW Tourag R Line with just about every extra coming in at £39k. This is almost £10k off list price!

Jim

Post #161761528th Feb 2016 3:36 pm
Zoo

United Kingdom 2015 LR4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueLR4

Walked into two East Anglia dealers to buy a new spec'd car I had already decided upon.
Dealer in Suffolk could not have been less interested. When I asked for a brochure, he reluctantly walked over to rack and handed it over. My wife and I walked out.
Norfolk dealer receptionists, asked if we had made an appointment to see a salesperson. Had my wife not heard it in person and seen the reception diary - she'd have thought I was exaggerating.
No-one available to discuss the purchase of a car, despite a Saturday am and the whole inside of the premises resembling a fun-fare with kids clambering over showroom cars.
After 20 minutes - and fairness to the dealership - free cake and coffees - a sales-person eventually came over and took our order - after the obligatory introduction to the finance director who like the snake from jungle book - attempted to sssssell me ssssssssssome ridiculous finance package quoting - "trussssssst in me"

Car arrived weeks later than promised and has been back numerous times with faults.

In summary - these kids haven't been through a recession yet and just assume that there is a non-endless stream of customers falling over themselves to visit the dealership.
They'll eventually find out what the car recession of 2006 was all about where LR dealerships were folding and cars like the RR sport couldn't be giving away.

Post #161813829th Feb 2016 2:04 pm
JackNorris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

jim4244 wrote:
My experience of my local dealerships

Marshall LR, Bedford - Sales staff always sitting around looking busy and can't be bothered to speak with potential customers. Have bought a FL2 from them in 2011. Censored me about when I wanted to buy new RRS in 2012. Couldn't be arsed to return my calls when I wanted to upgrade to an L494 in 2013. Agree, Useless!

Marshall LR, Peterborough - Sales staff totally demotivated, uninterested in selling cars. Booked an appointment to view an Evoque for my wife in 2013 but when we turned up to view the car it was up on large display ramps outside the dealership. We were told (by a 20 year old salesman who was playing a game on his phone) that it would be a lot of hassle to get it off the ramps unless we were 100% sure that we wanted to buy it. We waked out. Havent been here

Stratstones LR, Milton Keynes (has now changed to Jardines) - Inflexible regards price, will try to bambuzal you into buying something that you do not want. Bought my first RRS from them in 2012 from a fantastic salesman who left just after our car was delivered. In 2013 put a deposit down on a new Evoque for Mrs Jim. When it arrived it had 400 miles on the clock and minor damage. Asked for our deposit back. Then Censored about by the salesman until I contacted the Dealer Principal. One good salesman, rest not interested. Valeters awful and cause a lot of damage! Service ok...ish. I purchased from here in the end

Guy Salmon LR, Northampton - Always made to feel very welcome, even if you pop in without an appointment. Have just ordered my second L494 from them (they also supplied my first one) and have a good relationship with the sales and servicing team. Dealer Principal is very visible around the dealership and will always go that extra mile for customers, whether established or new.Agree, i nearly purchased from GS, but in the end went to MK as the deal was slightly better.

We must be local, have put my thoughts on the above in red Thumbs Up

Post #161814929th Feb 2016 2:31 pm
jim4244

Jack, I always buy through a lovely lady named "Susie Brown" at Guy Salmon.

If you ever go back there ask for her by name, I'm sure that she will better any other deal you can get locally.

I live about 5 miles away from Rushden. You over that side?

Jim

Post #161821929th Feb 2016 5:23 pm
JackNorris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hi Jim,

I think it might of been her that i spoke with. She did do a good deal but Stratstone MK were keener to put a good deal down.

I come up to Rushden for White Arches occasionally, but nothing more, used to be in Northampton a lot more as worked that way.

Im based just south of Milton Keynes Thumbs Up

Might bump into each other one day.

Post #161822429th Feb 2016 5:36 pm
adeal3

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Sounds like my own experience with the sales folk. Carwow is good and although I don't think the golf I had last year was the very best price it was good, available and I was able to deal entirely via email and only speak once or twice. Great price of £44100 for a metallic graphite on Carwow but a little above my budget sadly - in case anyone is interested.

Post #16194422nd Mar 2016 11:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >