Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

siiiiiiiiigh
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
doz

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
siiiiiiiiigh

I'm beginning to lose the faith gentleman. I've had the D3 for six months, covered 4.5k miles and have a list of issues as long as my arm. Cars covered less than 65k is an 07 reg and has the following issues

Front diff
upper front arms
lower front arms
electrical fault with battery or alernator.
Awaiting tow bar check
Also on it's second set of front discs

I didn't get it perticulery cheap. Was a one owner car. I mean my old D1 and the P38a I've got still have been less bother and has done double the mileage.

Sorry just thinking of punting, cutting my loses and walking away from the marquee. It's meant to be a rufty tuffty tonka toy not a take a day off sick at the first signs of a sniffle kinda car. It's gonna bankrupt me before I've owned it a year.

Trust me to buy a Friday afternoon the day after the LR Xmas knees up car Embarassed

Post #14021636th Jan 2015 6:12 pm
d.lundigan

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Sorry to add to your list but you need to include belt change and oil pump failure on that list. Not sure about your brake discs though 2 sets in 4.5k miles why

Post #14021736th Jan 2015 6:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
doz

Belts and oil pump changed before I got it. Sorry it's had two sets of discs in 64k miles not 4.5k miles Embarassed .l was just stating that as I was totallying the cost of repairs I've had/will need to carry out to get back to good base. I bet I do all the jobs then the clutch will take a dump! Shocked

Post #14021806th Jan 2015 6:30 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Adding it all up could be a mistake!

Post #14021846th Jan 2015 6:32 pm
doz

My wife has removed all sharp instruments from my reach, however she stands ready to beat me with a rolling pin when i have to telk her the costs involved.

Post #14021886th Jan 2015 6:34 pm
d.lundigan

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Well as frustrated as you proberbly feel it depends on how you feel about the car. I've have mine a year now. I have spent £4000.00 up to December and now 2015 is here I've just paid £102.00 for 4 wheel alignment and have Geoff coming on Thursday for a box flush so another £300.00 gone. But I feel it's worth it but thats just me Thumbs Up
Dave

Post #14021936th Jan 2015 6:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Biker Pete

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Mines has cost about the same in my year of ownership.

Its the most unreliable, badly designed money pit I have ever owned...... yet I love it for some reason Rolling Eyes

Post #14023266th Jan 2015 8:37 pm
Bobs

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I just look for help .....

Mikey and Flack are a god send Bow down
 D4 Front upgrade/cut back wings n things 'taking a long time but getting there'.
D4 rear upgrade - Narpys helped with that bit
Flack for problem solving and D4 Bluetooth Install/ D4 Heated Steering wheel with Flappy paddles n BBS enabling kit
Disco Mikeys work - Serviced, EGR blanking and 4x4 software upgrade, 3 flash indicators.
B.A.S - FBHIC. Uncle Rays spare wheel protector. Beanie Silver Black badges. 

Post #14023376th Jan 2015 8:44 pm
doz

Be a good idea to get the LR SOS men on here to give me a quote for all the above work.

Post #14024096th Jan 2015 9:56 pm
Nodge68

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

doz wrote:
Belts and oil pump changed before I got it. Sorry it's had two sets of discs in 64k miles not 4.5k miles Embarassed .l was just stating that as I was totallying the cost of repairs I've had/will need to carry out to get back to good base. I bet I do all the jobs then the clutch will take a dump! Shocked

Two sets of discs and pads at 65K isn't out of the ordinary for modern car, especially something as heavy as the Discovery. For comparison, my wife's 2 year old Astra GTC has just had a disc and pad change at 34K miles. The GTC brakes are bigger than the D3's but the GTC weighs half as much.
It does sound like you are having a run of bad luck. Once every has been fixed, there's less left to go wrong. Wink
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #14024626th Jan 2015 10:45 pm
Twintorque

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I know it'll be little consolation but I'd say that the arms are just ongoing maintenance on a vehicle that is after all the wrong side of 3 tonnes, that would also go for the discs and pads too as far as I was concerned. My Alternator was rebuilt last year ( new bushes and bearings ), but again ongoing maintenance in my book though at your mileage that does sound a bit unlucky to be having the diff issue. Was the car used to tow in it's previous life ?

I think a lot of what people post as failures and breakdowns are really just lack of maintenance in my book, that's not a dig at anyone just an observation on my part. A lot of folk just drive vehicles until they break then have them repaired without having proper servicing and inspection on them on a regular basis in-between, that's not to say Main Dealer though.

Look at this way if they're the original arms you've had 7 years out of them which given the vehicle is pretty good. I hope you get it all sorted and once that little list is done you then have many trouble free miles. There's certainly a wealth of knowledge from some great people on here and there's also Steve for the bits you do need which are invariably delivered very quickly at good prices.

Post #14025407th Jan 2015 12:38 am
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

+1 on the above. The diff is unfortunate as that has gone prematurely. For comparison though my front arms were changed at 80k and the rears lasted 90k. As many will testify on here routine maintenance on D3's extends way beyond the usual standard saloon and when it all comes at once it can seem a bit daunting. Hopefully once all that is sorted you will have a period of calm and a couple of years of oil and filter changes Whistle and the smile will return. Good luck with it.

It does seem that the 07/08 models have more than their fair share of issues, especially when you include the well documented oil pump casing failure.
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #14026407th Jan 2015 11:04 am
bob-lad

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just because a car is cheaper to buy second hand, doesn't mean the running costs are cheap.

These things are the best part of £60k new now, which is a good lump of anyone's money.

Having said that, mine's an MY07 and just popped out the other side of a 195,000 mile service with nothing required other than the usual oil and filters etc. Yes it's cost a couple of quid here and there, but nothing more than I expect to pay to keep something like this on the road.

Once you sort the bits the previous owner neglected you'll have a cracking toy/workhorse/runabout to enjoy for years to come.

My girlfriend likes the car so much that she's convinced me to buy myself a new something so she can have this one. Smile

Now... what next, D4, FFRR or XJR?

Post #14026767th Jan 2015 11:49 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

If you need work doing try Mark West at West 4x4 & mention this forum.

http://www.west4x4.co.uk/

He's very good, thus very busy, so don't expect an appointment today!

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #14026877th Jan 2015 12:03 pm
doz

Well aware that expensive cars normally stay expensive to own second hand. My other car is a VW Phaeton. However the vw doesn't seem to be having major mechanical issues and is of similar age and mileage. Mind you the fbh failed and if i couldn't fix it the bill was 1400 quid. Just more concerned about premature failures

Post #14027027th Jan 2015 12:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >