DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Front driveshaft Disaster help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
thorgal

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3
Front driveshaft Disaster help

Hi club.
This weekend , I wanted to tackle a job, that was inaverable anyway as I was postponing it as long as I could, but since I have ordered a re furbished front DIFF, time has come and I had to face a front diff replacement as I have send back the core to get a refund .
As I was maneuvering a diff out with help of a good friend , we realized , that front driveshaft, that connects diff to a Transfer case , was so seized , that we pulled a CV joint apart and bearings fell down. We had to torch -heat up a part. that was seized to diff pinion flange, and hammer it , just to separate it.
Now , I am left with a driveshaft , that has open CV joint and has to be re pack with grease , cage cleaned and put everything together , so we could install a diff to it .My question is :
- Can a driveshaft CV joint could be rebuilt, meaning bearings put back in the cage , flanged aligned and pressed back together or I am out of luck and have to buy a new front driveshaft ? I am guessing , somebody put it together at the factory , right ?It has to be a way to assemble everything together .
Should I take the driveshaft of the T case, somehow , put it on the proper work bench and try to press everything back ?
Lying under the LR3 in below zero took some life out of us today, for sure,but I am willing to go extra mile , if driveshaft is rebuildable.
Please , help me out , as I don't have other car to go to work and I am using friends garage , that lives 50 KM away, meaning, that somebody is gonna drop me off , there, tomorrow , so we could continue the struggle . Bow down Cheers

Last edited by thorgal on 8th Dec 2014 3:57 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13855108th Dec 2014 5:35 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

With the risk of an east coast winter plus the faff of ding the job twice I would probably fit a new one.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #13855398th Dec 2014 9:07 am
thorgal

So, Robbie..
Are you saying, that it cannot be done,I cannot press back that flange on the bearing case in the front driveshaft ?
Anew one is not exactly cheap and I would like to avoid buying it at all costs, if I don't have to.
Is somebody on this forum did that already ? IFRC , I have read about it long time a go , but cannot be sure now, as I am a little frustrated with a project, that turned out to be a little longer , than I expected.

Post #13856228th Dec 2014 1:05 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

No I didn't say it could not be done, only that in the circumstances described I would be minded to fit a new one. Clearly I have no idea if the parts are in a fit state to be reassembled, that is an on-scene engineering judgement.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #13856348th Dec 2014 1:46 pm
thorgal

Parts are fine, bearings look good along with a input flange, that we finally separated from a diff. pinion flange .I cleaned the bearings cage , crush gasket( proper name I think ), put the bearings back and tried to insert the input flange back onto bearings cage, but could nat do that under the car.I would have to disconnect the driveshaft from a T case and try to do it on the work bench.applying flange back is tricky and probably requires a slight , constant turning, while pushing it onto a cage, as bearings are king of loose there and can fall off at any time during the reconnection.I wonder why would LR say , that driveshaft could be installed back incorrectly , as I don't see any directional dimples or anything ,that indicates one way install. As I obtained new diff, I could not mark a position of the drive shaft flange in correlation with a diff.pinion flange It looks to me , that e 10 torx bolts are space out evenly, so no second guessing here.Does this matter ?

Post #13856478th Dec 2014 2:21 pm
thorgal

Is front driveshaft from BRITPART worth it ?
I could get one for almost half the price of genuine, but hearing mixed reviews regarding that company, should i pass on it ?

Post #13856838th Dec 2014 3:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >