Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspension gone haywire
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
steve46

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Suspension gone haywire

My problem started when I had a puncture in the rear nearside tyre. 7pm in Manchester, dark, roads wet, on a quite narrow road. I had to pull over with 2 nearside wheels onto the kerb to change the wheel. The kerb was not a particularly low kerb either, but I had no option, it was that or sit in the road changing the tyre which was quite a busy road.
I put the jack in the correct place as described in the manual, which I had with me and I had to jack the car up to what looked like a rediculous angle thanks to the fact that the near side was already high on the kerb. Anyway, I changed the wheel, and then went to drive off, and realised that something was wrong.
Speedo stopped working, suspension selector programs not lit up, suspension in lowered position, also it showed that the park brake was not working ,whereas it actually was.
Left it until the following day, tried checking out the height sensors, but you can't really tell if they're working or not. Did a Hard reset, no different. After messing about with it for a bit , it seemed to all start working, hooray I thought, went for a short drive but then it went faulty again.
Now what is happening is, the rear suspension seems to go up and down no problem, but the front goes up unbelievably slow, and most of the time doesn't quite reach the correct level. A bit of a drive sometimes it clears , but only for a minute or so, then it goes into fault, lowers ,and 'programs not available'.
I was originally thinking, one of the height sensors has been overstretched. But why does the rear come up nicely, and front struggle. Can't hear any obvious leaks from around the front, but I have no idea where all the air suspension bits and bobs are located, i.e. valves etc. I can see where the pies go into the suspension easily enough, but after that where they go is ????
Please can anybody shed any light on it.

Post #13825542nd Dec 2014 12:05 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The wheel you've put on, is it exactly the same size and tyre type+size as the other 3?
Also, have you had the codes read?
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #13825822nd Dec 2014 1:09 pm
steve46

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The spare wheel has been on a couple of times in the past, so I don't think it's that.
No I haven't had the codes read. I was even thinking of getting one of those hawkeye readers, it's just the £285 price tag thats putting me off.
In the past when I've had the codes read for other problems, it's shown that many faults that it can send you off down the wrong track.
That will be the next move though. I was hoping maybe that someone knew what it was, to save me the standard code reader plug in extortionate fee.

Post #13825892nd Dec 2014 1:24 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

You need to PM forum member Wiggs. He is very close to you and has the equipment that will read all the codes etc.
I'm sure he will help if he's available and it's convenient. Thumbs Up
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #13826062nd Dec 2014 1:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >