Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Turbochip - 13 months and 21000 miles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
JMC

Scotland 

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Well done Paul Razz

I just attached an unladden trailer to the D3 for the first time. Full size Ifor Williams 3.5t, and I was on the dual carriageway doinng 95mph ( Embarassed ) when I suddenly remembered it was there. Looked in the mirror and it was steady as a rock Whistle

I reckon my T/C'd car is quicker with a trailer-on than a standard D3 without one Shocked Certainly didn't notice it holding me back when I accelerated onto the dual carriageway...
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #1550248th May 2007 9:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sbbr

Estonia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Maybe anybody knows closest to Estonia Turbochip dealer? Finland, Sweden, Baltic region? The best I've found is in Switzerland, too far away, unfortunately.

--
Konstantin

Post #21979731st Oct 2007 4:56 pm
mch pursuit

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

having done 16k in the d3 now and very happy, am looking at the chipping option and there seem to be two options to go for, is there an optimum state of tune, also considering I need to tow a 2.5 tonne rib, i don't want to lose torque or affect the terrain response, and how "waterproof" are the claims of transparnecy to dealer diagnostics as mine still has 2 years of the warranty to run?

cheers

Post #2210404th Nov 2007 11:47 pm
JMC

Scotland 

The terrain response is unaffected by the TurboChip as it only maps the standard drive settings. Sand mode etc are not affected. Transparency is guaranteed but it doesn't really matter - my LR dealer sold me the TC and the car was brand new so they know anyway. Warranty unaffected Shocked
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #2211245th Nov 2007 10:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mch pursuit

Following recommendations, I have had Chris John chip the disco, great and efficent service, no pressure superb, and what a difference in power and also fuel economy, I have caned the car for 4 days now and can't get it below 29mpg! incredible, why LR did not release the car with tis level of perfrmance is a mystery. took a RR Sport yesterday, he didn't know what had hit him! superb! Thak sfor the advice

Post #22518117th Nov 2007 11:25 pm
cmyers_uk

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Quote:
I have caned the car for 4 days now and can't get it below 29mpg! incredible,

Just curious how many miles did you get out of the tank? I am very skeptical of peoples mpgs, I had a 535d which with normal driving would return 34mpg but when I 'caned' it I would get 26mpg. Now it weighed much less that a 3 ton diso and was much more aerodynamic. My auto disco requires careful driving to return 30mpg so if I could return 29 whilst hacking round town and doing 95 down the motorway I would be interested. Any Vendor that wants to give me a money back guarantee that having chipped it I could get the same mpg as I get now Id be interested? Any takers?

Glad your happy though Smile

Post #22519818th Nov 2007 1:29 am
norto

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Mine is only doing about 20mpg around town after Chris chipped it
no matter how easy i drive

Post #22520118th Nov 2007 1:58 am
SummerRain

What is fuel quality like in Oz?

I has a Disco3 with poor economy and it turned out to be a sticking EGR valve even though it didnt show on LR dealer tool Sad

Post #22530718th Nov 2007 7:14 pm
mch pursuit

Hi, all I can say is taht the average mpg read out is at 29. somthing, and if I combine what I have done with the predited mileage its well over 500 miles on a tank! it's certainly better than it was and with the extra performance as well, a win win situation I think

cheers

malcolm

Post #22541418th Nov 2007 11:26 pm
cmyers_uk

Malcom,

The No 1 thing is your happy with the product and that is a great recommendation for the Company.

I will be very interested once you have gone through a full tank how many miles you get versus the litres you put back in if your willing along with the average speed over the tankful. Is it auto or manual? I am very interested in the returns that can still be achieved with chipping.

None of the sellers seem to offer any mpg figures via any standard test which is a shame and the anecdotal evidence is quite different as you can see between you 29 and norto's 20mpg. You notice that no maker will ever guarantee better mpg always arguing that there are so many variable factors but they will never put one into the standard tests presumably because of the cost so its very hard to get any hard facts.

As you see in other threads the accuracy of the mpg computer varies from car to car and a snapshot of part of a tank may not be the whole story.

All that said, enjoy that extra Go Go Go and the permagrin! Thumbs Up

Regards

Chris

Post #22557519th Nov 2007 3:15 pm
Googsy

Ireland 

I am getting average 28.5 - 30 mpg with combined driving along with the extra performance and have to say I am very happy with my Turbochip I think its a necessity.
Thumbs Up
 Googsy
2008 HSE TDV8

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder... 

Post #22560319th Nov 2007 4:12 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

With the 20k miles prior to Torq Tuning the car I averaged 24.87mpg, since then (just under 4k miles) average mpg has gone up to 27.72mpg, an increase in mpg of 11.4%. These are taken from an excel file of miles vs ltrs put in the tank, not the trip computer. There has been no difference in driving style or types of road. Very happy with that! Mr. Green Mr. Green

Post #22560419th Nov 2007 4:15 pm
cmyers_uk

DSL,

This is my theory,

None of the postings that I see from people having it chipped show an improvement in mpg from what I am getting most are lower and the starting point before chipping way down Ive seen as low as 22mpg in one of the posts.

If we take your starting position 24mpg it would seem to indicate hard driving or something wrong (if we count out the something wrong) that just leaves hard driving. So my guess is that you are driving you car in a manner that revs higher and changes later than me (Obviously safely and within the posted speed limits Very Happy ) and runs into a much less efficient area of the engine performance.

When you changed the mapping you are getting the performance you want at lower revs / higher gearing at a 11% improvement over the base map driven in the same style.

So my question is what rpm do you tend to run to before changing gear?

So this is my theory why some people see a mpg gain and some dont. When I had mine chipped I drove it much harder and faster than when I didnt have it chipped hence worse fuel economy. Could be rubbish but so far no body has explained how they extract more energy from the same amount of diesel by changing the mapping. Any thoughts?

Secondly are you auto?

Post #22562519th Nov 2007 5:40 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I don't tend to flog my D3 at all. Local trips where the car does not get properly warmed up and driving in towns tends to drag it down. Othewise it's Mway trips at 75 - 80mph, even then quite few 1000 mile round tripa have been done at 60mph. Unfortunately it's what that car does economy-wise! I tend to get the car to downshift asap when getting up to speed. Even did one 200 mile trip in 5th rather than 6th to see if that made a difference and mph wnet down 10%.

Post #22564419th Nov 2007 6:30 pm
JMC

Scotland 

DSL wrote:
I don't tend to flog my D3 at all.

I'll vouch for that. Thumbs Up

Derek picked me up last Tuesday evening and I was amazed to see 30odd MPG average on his screen. The following day on a 50 mile jaunt he only once made me notice that the car was chipped getting out on a busy roundabout. Should have been a chauffeur rather than a student........ Whistle
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #22565019th Nov 2007 6:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >