Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Felt like driving on marbles - now fixed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
NoDo$h

Ukraine 
Felt like driving on marbles - now fixed

In common with a few others on here the D3 hasbeen suffering from that wobbly feeling at speed, a cross between driving on ice and the feeling you get from sudden crosswinds. This was made all the more interesting by a wheel judder at speed.

It's been an expensive but worthwhile journey. Working closely with my local Indy (Nick Evans - a member on here) we identified a number of failing components that were contributing to the problem and decided to change them gradually over a couple of months.

For context, my car has now got 123,000 miles on the clock and gets used hard with towing and offroad, so bear that in mind as you read the following list:

New shocks and air bags. Putting the car over the rollers at the garage was seeing way more bounce than a D4 used for comparison, so bit the bullet on some allmakes (Delphi & Dunlop) shocks and air springs. Transformed the ride and reduced the wobble. Not cheap, but highly recommended if you have a high mileage car and plan to keep it.

Lower steering column from The Large One. Car much more planted following this. Reduced wheel shudder and made the vague steering less severe. A no-brainer.

Steering rack. Got this from Steve at Advanced Factors. There was no play evident in the workshop (and boy did we try and get it to show play on the ramps). This has absolutely done away with the vagueness, tramlining and feeling of crosswinds. The car no longer feels like it's trying to change direction through under steer if you hit a bump mid-corner. This above all else made the difference. Nick Evans was so impressed with the price and the difference this made he's ordering one himself for his own D3.

So if you have a high miler with vague steering, take a long, hard look at the steering rack. If wheel bearings and bushes are sound, there's a good chance this will help get your grin back.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #122317624th Jan 2014 1:18 pm
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 

2 more steering racks left in stock today Thumbs Up

Pleased that problem is fixed for you.
 Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2774
Order Parts Online at www.advancedfactors.co.uk 

Post #122317724th Jan 2014 1:20 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

And one less alternator in stock.... Placed the order for a preemptive change as I can't believe mine hasn't failed yet!
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #122318124th Jan 2014 1:24 pm
drmcw

United Kingdom 

Glad to hear yours is running well now. Certainly worth bearing in mind. What sort of damage are we talking wallet wise to all that?
Mine's just had bushes and suspension arms replaced for the umpteenth time it seems, which helped as has a new compressor and cross link valve.

Post #122318824th Jan 2014 1:31 pm
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 

You may be able to sell it for a premium next week....Denso UK have no stock for a few weeks and I expect to run out within a few days the way they are going.
 Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2774
Order Parts Online at www.advancedfactors.co.uk 

Post #122319024th Jan 2014 1:32 pm
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

Great write up Al.

Im getting a bit of this and have put it down to running on 20's with about 3mm left on them.

It is also running uneven on the inner fronts so 2 new tyres from AJS next week and a 4 wheel alignment.

If that doesn't help then my account with Steve is in for another caning.

Thanks for the write up.

Bow down Thumbs Up
 All things shipping, storage, transport. UK and worldwide.

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #122319624th Jan 2014 1:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

How much were the all makes shocks and airbags Al? Just for comparison. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #122331024th Jan 2014 4:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Rears - RPD501090 £180ea

Fronts - RNB501580 £150ea

Or thereabouts. All plus VAT.
Post #122332024th Jan 2014 4:59 pm
Ade

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

bigdave wrote:
Great write up Al.

Im getting a bit of this and have put it down to running on 20's with about 3mm left on them.

It is also running uneven on the inner fronts so 2 new tyres from AJS next week and a 4 wheel alignment.

Thanks for the write up.

Bow down Thumbs Up

hmmm, the new rack sounds very interesting

I'm on 150k miles and in December took mine in to the local Indy for vague steering. When going down a country lane at speed it felt like the car was aquaplaning, and when going around a corner it felt like you had to adjust the wheel constantly to actually get around the corner without going off the road, and also understeer on roundabouts

I had new tyres, track rods and ends, front lower arms and alignment all done then

Although better, it still doesnt feel like its meant to/has done in the past in the past 6 years of owning it

Does this sond familiar?

Thanks

Ade

Post #122489427th Jan 2014 12:27 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Absolutely spot on Ade Thumbs Up
Post #122539027th Jan 2014 10:05 pm
iand3

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Ade wrote:
bigdave wrote:
Great write up Al.

Thanks for the write up.

Bow down Thumbs Up

hmmm, the new rack sounds very interesting

I'm on 150k miles and in December took mine in to the local Indy for vague steering. When going down a country lane at speed it felt like the car was aquaplaning, and when going around a corner it felt like you had to adjust the wheel constantly to actually get around the corner without going off the road, and also understeer on roundabouts

I had new tyres, track rods and ends, front lower arms and alignment all done then

Although better, it still doesnt feel like its meant to/has done in the past in the past 6 years of owning it

Does this sond familiar?

Thanks

Ade

Mine too Ade, its doing my head in. I put it down to having 3 wishbones changed but the OSR upper is still original and probably soft, but it can't just be that so maybe its steering rack.

Mines had new track rods/rack ends, front lowers, a rear upper, lower steering rack and poly ARB bushes all round so far and while lots better it still isn't right Big Cry
 Current: D3 TDV6 S; GGAT's, DIY 7inch Tablet mount, DIY Reversing Camera, Stage 1 remap, EGR delete

Previous: Freelander TD4, D2 V8, D1 TDI, Series 3 Petrol plus Numerous performance cars! 

Post #137949926th Nov 2014 2:24 pm
aman

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks for the advice NoDo$h

Post #153459924th Sep 2015 9:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >