Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Suspension Compressor Fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
raymocrjd

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Suspension Compressor Fault

Hoping to get some direction as to the best way forward.

A couple of weeks ago the orange suspension light appeared on the dash, plugged in the IID Tool and found the fault code C1A20-64 pressure increases to slow when filling reservoir. This now appears every time I start the car after the compressor runs for 20 secs or so.
I'm presuming this is more likely the compressor but how can I be sure? The car is still level after days sitting on the drive and there are no obvious leaks near the compressor apart from the joints on the two pipes at the end of the dryer (blue and orange) when the compressor runs. Is this normal?

I've read many posts about the two options (repair or replace), but I'm still torn between them both.

I would like to go down the repair route obviously because it's cheaper, however I have reservations about attempting to take the compressor apart. It's 8 years old and the screws on the compressor don't exactly look in great condition, it would be just my luck if I broke a non serviceable part of the unit then I'm stuffed waiting for a replacement. I presume the car shouldn't been driven without one?

Or on the other hand I replace the whole unit unit and be done with it for £400 and hope that fixes it.

Decisions, decisions......

Cheers, Rob.

Post #153256020th Sep 2015 10:58 pm
crawa

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Rob, I was in the same boat spend a heap and buy a new one , I bought a rebuild kit form a UK supplier , it took longer to remove the compressor than a rebuild.(top bolt a pain) check the you tube vid for instructions (few extra o rings included not in vid)
Well worth the money and the time , Disco has no more lights , firmer suspension , and saved heaps to spend on something else .. Thumbs Up

Post #153260421st Sep 2015 8:06 am
MikeO

Scotland 

Personally, I would replace and be done with it *if* you know for sure the compressor is the issue. I don't mind paying a reasonable price for parts if I know they're going to resolve an issue for the long-term. That said lots of people have re-furbed with good results.

If you're seeing leaks on the dryer cap - sounds like it? - then no, this isn't normal. It suggest they dryer cap has cracked which is a common fault on the Hitachi units. Have a look here: http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic125922.html?highlight=dryer+cap

TBH you've not done badly as mine's a 2009 and I replaced the compressor last year Sad
 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone 

Post #153266821st Sep 2015 10:29 am
raymocrjd

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I'm going to double check but the air leak seems to be coming from the connection joints themselves at the end of the dryer rather than between the holes if you know what I mean, if I cover the pipes with soapy water it pushes the water away down the outside both of the pipes.
See picture below of the dryer and the rather rusty screws holding the end cover on.

Cheers, Rob

Post #153291221st Sep 2015 6:33 pm
raymocrjd

I decided to check the condition of the pipe at the end of the dryer in the blue collar, so removed and all seemed normal. While this was off I started the car and the compressor kicked off as usual but released a large amount of air from underneath, this lasted for about 5 seconds before the the compressor shut down. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from but it was focused around the rubber grommet at the bottom of the bracket shown in the photo below. Confused

Is this normal as it seemed fine again (although with the same fault code) once I inserted the pipe back in the dryer?

Post #153455524th Sep 2015 9:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >