Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Can I avoid clearing D4 aux battery tray?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Miesmacher

Switzerland 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Can I avoid clearing D4 aux battery tray?

Hi,

preparing for my D4, due sometime in June, I started thinking about the dual battery thingy. Right now, my D3 has the standard Traxide system installed, with the aux battery in the spare battery tray.

This seems not possible for my D4. I have seen and understood the how-tos to clean the aux battery tray, but I think the task is above me - especially as the car is leased and I want to avoid fiddling too much.

My ingenious alternative plan now is as follows:

- I want to install the aux battery and the Traxide SC-80 on a board behind/below the back seats (I am getting a 5-seater). I got this idea here: <http>, but my version won't have a compressor and won't look as nice.

- To do this, I'd have to run a long cable from the starter battery to the Traxide SC-80. Such a cable will need to be thin enough to fit through that grommet behind the aux battery tray, but thick enough to transport enough electricity. Is there a sweet spot ( wire-gauge-wise) anyone can recommend?

- Further, I will need reliable Negatives somewhere behind the seats - can I just use the seat's screw holes? (I should mention that I plan to take out the middle rear seat and tie down the fridge there instead.)

Sorry if I again pose questions which are more silly than not, but I am slowly finding myself into this and I am by no means skilled. So better to ask twice than burn once...

Thanks and cheers,
Thorsten

Post #107486620th Mar 2013 1:41 pm
Ceekay

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I think Wiggs has done this but sure he will be along soon?
Thumbs Up
 D4 HSE Lux MY16 Club Waitomo
D3 HSE MY06 missing her still… 

Post #107486820th Mar 2013 1:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Miesmacher

Well I can't even think to approach the perfection of wiggs' stuff - but then, did he really put an aux battery under the backseats?

Post #107487420th Mar 2013 1:51 pm
Ceekay

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Could be wrong I'm sure that's what he said anyway give him a pm or as I say I'm sure he will be along at some point.
Thumbs Up
 D4 HSE Lux MY16 Club Waitomo
D3 HSE MY06 missing her still… 

Post #107487520th Mar 2013 1:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russell

United Kingdom 

No think Wiggs put it in one of the rear cubby holes where it goes into the rear wing, accessed from the boot area.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #107487720th Mar 2013 1:59 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Russell wrote:
No think Wiggs put it in one of the rear cubby holes where it goes into the rear wing, accessed from the boot area.

which is the right place for a battery...nice & cool...protected from the elements
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #107488220th Mar 2013 2:07 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Mr. H has used what was the 2nd battery box in the D3 ...in a D4 ...he had to persuade it but it fitted Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 20th Mar 2013 4:10 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #107488720th Mar 2013 2:20 pm
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The wiring that comes with the traxide kit is AWG 6 and the + and - cables together JUST fit through the small grommet behind and below the aux battery tray which I was forced to use (manual transmission D3 here so couldn't go through the clutch grommet).

Not sure which grommets are present on a D4 but in any case, AWG 6 cable is what you need.
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #107492420th Mar 2013 4:06 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I fitted an aux with traxide to a D4 in the battery box. Yes you have to remove the crappy alarm sounder and then use that bracket for the gearbox ECU that now clogs up the aux battery box.
Perfectly doable as long as you keep the plastic bits you remove, it'll all be fine when it comes to end of lease.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #107492520th Mar 2013 4:07 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Read at least page 1 and 2 as I had to modify

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic67350.html
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #107493820th Mar 2013 4:55 pm
Miesmacher

@ Russell: Well, not sure where that "rear cubby hole" is, but this sounds like cutting plastic. I'd rather not do that. (Actually I think that wiggs has the auxiliary sockets back there, but not the battery itself.)

@ DG: Bits of broken plastic litter my way. Not sure whether this is the way to go. (but see below)

@ nighthawk: The reason why I think of putting the battery behind the seats is that I'd have to run a cable anyway, but instead of doing it with a + and - cable, I thought I could simply run the + cable between battery and SC-80 only.
If 2 AWG 6 cables fit through (at 13.3sqmm each) I could probably run one standard 16sqmm cable easily.

@ Bodsy: I'll think of leaving the battery in front. But the other solution seems elegant, too.

Does anyone have a word on getting a good earth connection behind the rear seats?

Thanks and cheerio,
Thorsten

Post #107494020th Mar 2013 5:14 pm
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Sure one 16sqmm will pass. However logic tells me you will not gain anything from it though as this is the cable between batteries and it's protected by traxide's circuit breakers so you will still only get a max 50 amps through it. If I were you I'd pass just one AWG 6 cable.

As for the rear cubby hole, it is the removeable panels on each side of the boot. Behind one of them there are the towing electrics (where wiggs put his battery). I think you will be able to find an earth point somewhere in there. Wiggs might be able to tell you if there's a suitable earth point there Thumbs Up . Routing cable from behind the seats to the rear cubby hole will be very easy.
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #107495820th Mar 2013 6:14 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

DG wrote:
Mr. H has used what was the 2nd battery box in the D3 ...in a D4 ...he had to persuade it but it fitted Thumbs Up

Not really that much persuading required, but it is a snug fit and the only thing that was moved out is the alarm sounder which can be easily done without major changes which can be easily reversed at the time the vehicle gets sold. Have a look in my gallery here: http://www.disco4.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=21817

Post #107499220th Mar 2013 7:03 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Ask Traxside they can supply a kit I would think. (drivesafe on the forum)
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #107515620th Mar 2013 10:28 pm
phl

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I think Traxide has an second battery tray for mounting in front of the main battery in the D4.

Post #107525021st Mar 2013 6:02 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >