Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Blackbox Solutions

New low cost Diagnostic Tool from BBS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 40 of 45 <123 ... 394041 ... 434445>
cold_n_wet

Norway 

Im sure you wont be going in the Lupo Thumbs Up
 IDTOOL PRO / Faultmate programing and BAS remaping services in Norway.
Diagnostic for most Land rover vehicles
Land Rover parts and accessories.
Stockist of RLD equipment.
www.praesto4x4.no
D4 gone, missed but replaced with a 110 Puma. 

Post #120588221st Dec 2013 8:35 pm
StornowayStu

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

Quote:
Can someone please tell me in simple terms exactly how to use this box of tricks

Therein lies the rub. The BBS team (and other tool providers btw) have given us a tool, not a magic wand. With great power comes great responsibility. For the tool to be any use, it has to rely on some point not interfering with "are you really sure you want to do that ? "

There is some degree of research needed as with using any tool. Buying a chainsaw at your local garden/DIY store doesn't come with a guide that turns you into a Master Arborist. If you want to avoid tree branches sticking out the neighbour's roof, then you need to know what you're doing. Or don't do it until you do.

As Flack and geoff have pointed out, it's always a good idea to strap a battery maintainer on during extended flashing. Some tools make a voltage check prior to flash but that’s of no help if it sags during a ten minute or more procedure. How is the tool supposed to know the discharge rate of your battery ?

A number of other posts also caution making notes of your current ECU setup values so if necessary you can revert to the current one if things go wrong. According to Colin it is very difficult to brick the ECU but if you have no way of knowing what you should be trying to revert to because you picked the wrong software, you still have a major problem as there are LOTS to choose from.

If I sound overly harsh, I don't mean to be. I'm not a LR mechanic. I have a pretty good knowledge of IT related systems and I like to think a healthy dose of common sense. If something isn't broken, I think very hard about meddling - sorry fixing it. If I have any doubts about what or how I should be doing, I walk away and research further. This and other boards have a huge amount of friendly tribal knowledge to share and that’s fantastic. My worry is that the unwary will think tools like these are like iPods and no real harm can be done. I carry mine in the car for diagnosis if something comes up away from home for the most part. None of my ECU exhibit any symptoms that mean they need attention. Flashing everything to the latest release isn't really gaining anything. If it's not broke, leave it alone. I'd like the clock on the dash but until I'm damn clear about how to do it, I can live without it.

I understand the desire to boldly go and do cool things, so to satisfy my curiosity I picked something simple like the Audio ECU. Worst case scenario it spits CDs back at me with contempt or won't allow Terry Wogan to play on the radio (that would be an upgrade in my book)...then move onto the more heavyweight stuff. Just like sport, try out the nursery slopes before joining the line for the Cresta run.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great tool and I applaud Colin and others for getting it to the price point where its affordable for mere mortals like myself. I just hope others have a similar approach.

Just my 2c. And I wish the BBS team a well deserved down time.

Last edited by StornowayStu on 21st Dec 2013 9:25 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #120589121st Dec 2013 9:06 pm
eljot

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

i was definitely aware of the risks during ecu flashing. but as reading of the ecu's info was not a problem at all (with my old nanocom and td5 i already had problems there without external power supply) and the successfully flashing of the 4x4info, i had no doubts that it will end in a non-working ecu!! Neutral

but now i know that external power is also necessary for the discovery 3 and nanocom evo!! Mr. Green

Post #120590021st Dec 2013 9:23 pm
StornowayStu

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

Just to be sure we're on the same page here - by "external power supply" we aren't talking about needing to power the Nanocom with an external supply - the feed from the car's OBD should be just fine. But of course if the battery in the Rover is sagging, then both the car and the Nano are going to be in danger....

Post #120590421st Dec 2013 9:27 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yes but another golden rule that you should stick to is to make a backup/copy of any ecu's information settings before you try anything like flashing them..

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #120590621st Dec 2013 9:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
eljot

sorry, of course i mean a charger for the disco battery!! Very Happy

Post #120590721st Dec 2013 9:30 pm
eljot

Flack wrote:
Yes but another golden rule that you should stick to is to make a backup/copy of any ecu's information settings before you try anything like flashing them..

Flack Thumbs Up

how does it work with the nanocom evo!? could not find it!! Shocked

Post #120590921st Dec 2013 9:33 pm
Flack

When you go in to the read ECU information tab, at the bottom of the screen is an icon of a floppy disc, you use this to save the ECU information to the SD card..

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #120591221st Dec 2013 9:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
eljot

do you mean this type of info:

Ride Level - SALLAAA148A442846

HARDWARE NUMBER:RQT500170
SERIAL NUMBER:275279343
SOFTWARE NUMBER:NNV504760
CALIBRATION DATA 2:N.A.
VIN NUMBER:SALLAAA148A442846
ASSEMBLY CORE NO:N.A.
ASSEMBLY PART NO:
DELIVERY ASSEMBLY NO:RQT500170
SOFTWARE NUMBER 2:N.A.
BOOT SOFTWARE ID:RQT500170
ACTIVE NETWORK CONF:bñ 
CALIBRATION PART NO:N.A.
CALIBRATION DATA 3:N.A.
SOFTWARE NUMBER 3:N.A.

Post #120591521st Dec 2013 9:41 pm
Flack

Yes

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #120591921st Dec 2013 9:42 pm
eljot

but is there any info for calibrating my height sensors when replacing the ecu?

Post #120592021st Dec 2013 9:44 pm
Flack

No that's not included in this file save you have to go in to the height calibration page for that, if you bought the ECU from your early post you should be ok as its come off a D3 MY2008 so it should be ok and not need calibrating, If it was from a RRS then you might have to do it the recalibration with this one.

Just get the new ECU stick it in and leave it alone unless you fit the new AMK compressor then you might update it but it will work ok even with the new Compressor fitted.

Flack . Thumbs Up

Post #120592221st Dec 2013 9:49 pm
tomthumb

United Kingdom 

+1 stu
I've done a lot of reading over the last few days re the nanocom & how to's & what not to do, & some of it is now making sence.

With no techinal background at all & a total noob when it comes to any sort of diagnostics I am slowly making progress in my understanding of the LR & BBS product,

There are many knowledgeable members (many thanks to them & Martin)
on this forum who offer advice or actual help for any 1 in need, who to them ecu flashing ect.. is probably 2nd nature.

But I as a mere mortal I will heed there very knowledgeable advice & learn to walk before I run, never mind the marathon like event of the new nanocom...
 RRSport MY12hse but don't hold that against lill o me
Hybrid TV, cubby Fridge, Surround Camera's, Sun Roof.

Disco 3 MY05hse Sadly gone

All alone in my own little world,
But everybody knows me there, so I'm ok. 

Post #120592921st Dec 2013 9:52 pm
eljot

yes, its also from a my08! should work! we will see!!

but there is still a small chance that i get it flashed tomorrow after hard reset and with a battery charger! Mr. Green

by the way, where do i get the amk compressor kit with a good price!?

Post #120593121st Dec 2013 9:53 pm
Flack

@tomthumb

Yes totally agree with your comments, these diagnostic kits are very powerful tools in the uninformed/ novice hands and can brick any car quite easily.

So many things happen to the cars system when you flash any ecu and what has to be remembered is that the ecu your flashing is off-line while its being flashed so this upsets the other ecu's in that they can't talk to the one being flashed.

This throws up all-sorts of errors that are normally cleared on two cycles of the ignition, even this simple step can panic a new user if this step is not carried out.

I for one would not try any flashing on any ecu's until I was familiar with all the settings and menu's if I was just starting out.

I used my own car as a test bed when ever any new updates come out, just to be sure of the product, as its my car and if it goes tits up then its not as bad as doing with a customer looking over your shoulder.

Both Geoff and I have been there in the middle of nowhere when this has happened, some we have fixed but others had to have replacement parts.

as the saying goes walk before you can run...

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #120594421st Dec 2013 10:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 40 of 45 <123 ... 394041 ... 434445>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >