Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Tappet type of noise from my TDV6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
oncdov

Belgium 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

We don't have any BP fuel in Belgium (BP and ARAL sold their stations to Q8 petroleum some years ago).
I don't think you have Q8 in UK.
I always use Shell Diesel (what about Shell Diesel Extra ?) so I assume it can't be the fuel (my engine probably sounds like stapldm's ESSO all the time, but only a bit worse).

Post #13812212th Mar 2007 9:33 pm
GDL

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

our shell is / was called shell extra ...good stuff but recently i noticed some garages changing the name to just shell diesel worrying but i have'nt noticed any difference so i presume its just a name change maybe because the extra has a 'ultimate' implication ....who knows uh? Apparently total are bringing out a diesel excellium but living up 'north' i won't be trying that for a while . Just try them all diesel is'nt just diesel! don't quote me on that.. can i borrow that please dickgriff ?

Post #13813012th Mar 2007 9:51 pm
oncdov

Have been reading some articles about similar engine noise on both RRS and D3.
With RRS, appears to be a transmission / clutch issue - could this be the same on D3?

Post #13993517th Mar 2007 12:44 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Have been reading this thread with interest. Perhaps I could assist the debate by mentioning the following shock news........

....It's a diesel Shocked

Who said it was going to be silent Confused They all do it ....now live with it Rolling Eyes

...and before you ask yes I've driven both '06 and '07 models at length
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #13994217th Mar 2007 12:55 am
oncdov

DG wrote:
Have been reading this thread with interest. Perhaps I could assist the debate by mentioning the following shock news........

I should have bought a second hand Zetor tractor - works great off-road and has a similar sound.
Thanks for reminding me about the diesel.

Post #13995617th Mar 2007 1:17 am
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

YUP - my new MY07 is much more clattery than the MY06 I had (did my dealer mention that Shocked when he said 'there is no difference between the MY06/07 models' Shocked Shocked Shocked , when he was trying to offload an MY06 on me ????) somebody mentioned the Euro engine thing before, saying it 'was a new engine' . It must be an adapted engine, anybody got any insight into this ?
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #14148621st Mar 2007 10:04 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

same engine, more sensors and different injectors / EGR to make it euro-friendly, I don't think the diesel knock is any louder, just 'different', having had an 06MY previously, I initially noticed the diesel knock but I wouldn't say it's intrusive and TBH once you're inside the vehicle with the doors & windows closed, stereo on, 'senior management' complaining about, well, anything..... you really don't notice any change.
If it's that much of an issue, you could always get an 06MY and a fair bit of change left over.... but then you'd miss out on the smoother torque delivery, improved MPG, one touch indicators, one touch window on passenger door, improved instrument cluster, firmer seats, clock on the dash and don't forget the nice climate offset window sticker Wink

Other than that, what DG said Wink Thumbs Up

Post #14149321st Mar 2007 10:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

10forcash wrote:
... and don't forget the nice climate offset window sticker...

Shocked I've been robbed!!!!! Where's my sticker!?!
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #14149421st Mar 2007 10:20 pm
10forcash

you can have mine - nobody would believe it anyway Rolling Eyes

Post #14149621st Mar 2007 10:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stapldm

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Bow down I'll run with the story that I would have had a sticker but it would've meant felling a tree to make it Thumbs Up
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

Post #14149721st Mar 2007 10:24 pm
10forcash

that'll be a recycled plastic christmas tree then Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #14149821st Mar 2007 10:25 pm
x90lro

To all,
I requested that my supplying dealer not fill the tank - got some 3rd row mat instead - so I popped down the road and filled up with BP Ultimate diesel. I used this for 2 years with my TD5 90, and it made such a difference. I have since used this fuel exclusively, and found that my TDV6 is MUCH quieter than my chums... The higher cetane rating does appear to make a difference. Also, I get over 30 mpg on normal runs (but not so good near a town!)

Tappety noise is afflicting my next door neighbours TDV6 S, and it started out of the blue, and quite suddenly. So far it's had the latest software update, new injectors, and full oil change. Just as well that it's still under warranty!
 17" alloys with Cooper ST 240/75, G4 Snorkel, A Bar, Spots and sump guard.  
Post #16148925th May 2007 12:46 pm
stapldm

A follow-up after 10,000 miles

The noise has slowly decreased over the miles, and is now such that you can only hear it if you turn off all the noisy bits and listen carefully for it.
If I want to hear it again properly, I just put Esso/Asda fuel in there and I get a memory jogger, but again the noise is very much diminished over when I first reported it. Mostly I use Sainsbury's supermarket fuel and don't hear anything.

I can only assume that something somewhere has slowly bedded in - maybe the injectors or EGR valves? I don't know for sure.

I can confirm also that MPG is slowly raising too - 250mile trip recently was recorded as 33MPG, loaded with 4 people and all their luggage and included a 45 minute 20MPH crawl along the M25; last time I did this same trip I got 29MPG.
Both times computer values roughly matched my own fuel calculations. I'm now averaging 28 to 29MPG with mixed 40% motorway and 60% town driving, and that includes far too many short trips (not enough to warm engine up fully) to be helpful.
I do practice a 'conservation of momentum' driving style to get these figures, but I'm very happy that my D3 is providing much better MPG than my Volvo T5 did around town.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:

Post #19201220th Aug 2007 3:16 pm
Ferrari430

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Got my new disco pursuit last week and yes I have noticed the clattering noise and it is an irritation if I dont have the radio on. certainly when I test drove one last september (06) that noise wasnt there - so a bit disappointed. Not sure if the noise is normal or a problem with 08MYs. A number of you here have reported this issue but is there anyone who owns a 08MY and notices none of this clattering noise? If so I will get it checked by the dealer

Post #20439517th Sep 2007 5:13 pm
Ferrari430

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Drove a new disco yesterday for 3 hrs at one of the land rover experience centers and the car did not have the clankety noise that my one is making so it is not an issue with 07/08 MYs (maybe it could be v slightly noiser than the previous models) but not as noticable as my car. So I will be taking my one to the dealer and see what they can do about it

Post #21435511th Oct 2007 7:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >