Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

bad starting this morning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Yep, Tawny Owl. I spoke at length with him about the job!

Plus Gas was the lubricant, my indy tried it and still couldn't get them out.
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #10125812nd Dec 2012 7:52 pm
Dave T

England 

Still has to be worth a try, each one will be different, some maybe lucky where others aren't
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #10125872nd Dec 2012 8:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Certainly, I wouldn't suggest that he takes the heads off first - just be prepared for it!
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #10125952nd Dec 2012 8:08 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

J@mes wrote:
It didn't work for me!

The glowplugs heat the combustion chamber to very high temperatures in order to aid the burning process, the FBH controller heats the coolant around the engine and makes no difference to the combustion chambers at all.

I initially thought I would get away with using my FBH controller instead of having glowplugs, but it doesn't sort the issue at al Sad

edit: if anything, it probably makes it worse as the glowplug controller thinks the engine is up to temperature when it's not, and therefore doesn't run the plugs for as long!

I find it strange then that the glow plug light does not come on Confused

I though, and it is only a thought that the glow plugs did not fire as a result of the water temperature being high enough for them to think they were /are not needed, a sensor of some sorts?

If that is the case my car starts without glow plugs on a cold morning, so if mine does, the OP's logically would too.

Of course someone will tell me that the glow plugs still have a half cycle or someting that does not involve the dash light coming on but still preheats the combustion chamber.

Conversely my 300TDI defender does not even have them connected , and that also fires up OK, perhaps I'm blessed Rolling with laughter
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #10126062nd Dec 2012 8:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Yep Beanie, someone comes along so I guess it can be me.

Glow plugs have 3 modes, with the highest draw being on pre-warm. The cue for the amount of pre-warm needed is the ECT, so artificially warm coolant tricks-out this phase and the cold combustion chamber fails to get the ignition support it needs. Your glow plugs will still work during the start phase and shortly afterwards but things can still get lumpy until the chamber gets hot. Dead glow plugs will not support any phase and can make starting quite tricky.

You can do some diagnostic by disconnecting one bank at a time and seeing if you still get the glow plug light. The glow plug light only comes on for the pre-warm mode. You can also test the current draw.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #10127252nd Dec 2012 10:09 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up That's exactly as I thought Robbie, you just put it in more simple language Rolling with laughter
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #10127312nd Dec 2012 10:14 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

In more words from a previous post some time ago:

Robbie wrote:
Mikey et al,

The D3 glow plugs do a little more than just aid starting and this causes confusion when people use FBH controllers such as the BAS system.

Due to the 'efficient' design of the engine the glow plugs are required to support ignition well after initial start. When the engine is cold compression alone is insufficient to provide complete ignition of the cylinder diesel charge at low revs, so you get lumpy idle, poor pick-up, poor emissions and general roughness. If you rev to above 2000rpm or so the engine become more self sustaining and things smooth out. Once the engine is above about 50 deg C then all is well.

To overcome this the glow plug system enters a lower power 'afterglow' phase shortly after start and the plugs stay 'lit' until the coolant system reaches 50 deg C. To avoid the plugs causing early detonation at higher rpm the afterglow system goes into a quiescent state when above 2500rpm - all values are taken and controlled by the ECM.

The confusion with FBH pre-heating arrises because it artificially increases the coolant temperature above the 50degC limit and effectively disables the afterglow system and reduces the full power time of the plugs ahead of starting. As the engine internals are still pretty cold you can get quite a lumpy start and very rough running to the point that people suspect a serious fault. Once warmed to normal combustion temperatures all is well again.

Like Mikey I have not seen a D3 fail to start (albeit with a little more effort) without glowplugs, well not at typical UK temps. I have however seen them run as rough as hell when the afterglow system fails to do its stuff.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #10127362nd Dec 2012 10:22 pm
bumph

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

hi my light does come on for about 4-5 seconds but would not start, by using a test light i can see there all getting power, how do i use a multi meter to test if there any good or not please??

Post #10127382nd Dec 2012 10:25 pm
The Transformer

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

On a Merc forum years ago they were having nightmares with them snapping in the heads. They used to swear with soaking them in coke for a few days previous (fizzy kind not white powder Wink )

Post #10127522nd Dec 2012 11:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >