DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

NO POWER 1ST THING
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4
NO POWER 1ST THING

hi all
i have just started to notice that when i start my d3 up for the first time in a morning it does not have any power and when i put it into drive it will not go anywhere it just will not rev at all

after it has been running for about 10 seconds it is fine and when i start it again a few hours later its ok.

it only happens once for the first time in a morning, any ideas anyone

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #11970315th Jan 2007 12:44 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

sounds like a problem with a valve block in the gearbox allowing the transmission fluid to drain away from the torque converter Sad

Post #11970515th Jan 2007 12:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JakobVels

Denmark 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Does it rev (engine) but accelerate very slow with higher engine revs.

That is what i beleive has been referred to as the "morning roar" which is quite normal and common.

Mine does it too. At first when i try to accelerate theres a lot going on under the bonnet but no acceleration. Second time i hit the throttle the engine has more of the real tdv6 sound and acceleration is normal.

If it will not move at all you should let the dealer have a look at it though.

Cheers
Jakob

Post #11971015th Jan 2007 1:30 pm
10forcash

Just re-read your post Shawn Embarassed if it won't rev, then it's fuel related,
This TSB may help
LA303-019 Discovery 3/LR3 - Rough Engine Idle After Cold Start
A customer may report a concern that the engine idle quality is poor for 10 to 25 seconds after starting from cold for the first time during the day. No poor idle or power loss is experienced after the first initial cold start of the day and all other engine starts of the day, whether the engine is warm or hot, do not result in the same poor idle quality.

Cause: Contamination (debris/dirt or corrosion) in the fuel injectors affects injector spray and delivery rate. Contamination ingress can occur during various operations such as vehicle maintenance or repair and running on contaminated fuel. An injector with damaged internal sealing will also result in unmetered fuel entering the intake manifold.
Action: Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Diagnostic Procedure detailed in this bulletin to establish the root cause of the issue.
Diagnostic Procedure
1 . Check with the vehicle owner/user that only diesel fuel to the correct specification or automotive gas oil to EN590 with a maximum 5% biofuel is being used. If an incorrect fuel is being used: 1 . Drain the fuel tank. For additional information, refer to Global Technical Reference (GTR) Discovery 3/LR3 Workshop Manual Section 310-00, Fuel Tank Draining (19.55.02).
2 . Renew the fuel filter. For additional information, refer to Global Technical Reference (GTR) Discovery 3/LR3 Workshop Manual Section 310-01C, Fuel Filter Element (19.25.02).
3 . Fill with the correct specification fuel.
4 . Re-test the vehicle. If the problem is resolved, no further action is required. If the problem still exists, continue to the next step.

2 . Check the fuel in the vehicle for abnormal discoloration. If the fuel is discolored: 1 . Drain the fuel tank. For additional information, refer to Global Technical Reference (GTR) Discovery 3/LR3 Workshop Manual Section 310-00, Fuel Tank Draining (19.55.02).
2 . Renew the fuel filter. For additional information, refer to Global Technical Reference (GTR) Discovery 3/LR3 Workshop Manual Section 310-01C, Fuel Filter Element (19.25.02).
3 . Fill with the correct specification fuel.
4 . Re-test the vehicle. If the problem is resolved, no further action is required. If the problem still exists, continue to the next step.

3 . NOTE: DO NOT REJECT a set of injectors if the flow rate values are even, but outside of the expected values. The actual injector spill return rate will be affected by fuel rail pressure and fuel temperature. Only reject the injectors with much higher spill return than the others. Experience shows the flow will be very high on failed injectors and will fill the test bottle within two minutes.

Complete an injector balance test and injector spill test using the test limit data below and renew the injectors as necesary.For additional information, refer to Global Technical Reference (GTR) Discovery 3/LR3 Workshop Manual Section 303-04C, Injector Balance/Spill Test (19.90.08).

Injector Balance Test Values and Injector Spill Test Return Flow Rates
NOTE: Injector balance limits are 970 to 1.3K (Renew any injector outside this limit). Injectors with a balance value outside of 960 to 1.4K will cause a DTC to be logged.

Post #11971115th Jan 2007 1:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

There's also this one, although if you've had the enhancement programme carried out, it won't be relevant
TSB LA303-009 Discovery 3/LR3 - Cold Start Throttle Response
Diesel engined vehicles only, Automatic transmission vehicles only VIN-range: 5A300394-6A389121

Summary:
A customer may report a concern that after selecting 'D' (drive) or '2' (manual gear 2) in the automatic transmission when the engine has just been started in cold conditions, the engine will not respond to throttle inputs and the engine revs will not increase from idle. The condition only occurs between 0-15 seconds after engine start.

Cause: The cold start condition is resulting in a temporary low idle speed and a software calibration issue prevents the engine revs from increasing until the correct idle speed is reached.
Action: Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Service Procedure detailed in this bulletin to update the engine control module software.

Post #11971315th Jan 2007 1:43 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I had this happen on my first one.
Was put down to the software.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #11971615th Jan 2007 1:51 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

if they do the softwear thing will it wipe my tc chip off Rolling Eyes

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #11980915th Jan 2007 5:01 pm
10forcash

yep Sad get the fuel filter and injectors checked first though

Post #11981115th Jan 2007 5:07 pm
Swifty

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
Still doing it?

Guys,

Read this with interest - 2 mornings in the last week mine has done this, or similar.

Starts up, runs v.rough but ticks over. Press the gas, nothing happens. Wait. Still no power. BAttery Warning light flickering on the dash.

Switch it off. Start it up again and voila - just like nothing had ever happened?

Dealer could find nothing on Diagnostic and could not replicate it overnight,

Any advice much appreciated!

THanks

Rich

Post #12440827th Jan 2007 12:08 am
bumph

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

help, any ideas as mine did this this morning too, please any ideas as didnt like it at all, car has been fine but i do know i have two snapped injectors!

Post #101823813th Dec 2012 7:56 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I have seen injectors cause similar issues. Need to leave the car overnight, and have it plugged into a diagnostic computer when it is first started.

Although with 2 snapped injectors, I am surprised it runs at all Confused
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #101824013th Dec 2012 7:58 am
d3mad

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Happened to me

I had this happen twice on a cold morning but has been fine on other even colder mornings.

Found if I switched engine off and restarted it was fine! If it gets worse will look more into though.
 2 x D3's (Twins)
TDV6 HSE 2006 - Buckingham Blue - Wintrac Exreme S
HIDS4U GVIF + Reversing camera
HIDS4U Blackvue HD front and rear
HIDS4U OSRAM CBI xenon bulbs +
HIDS4U LED's interior & exterior
CKO Twin DVB-TV Freeview Tuner
Traxide Dual Battery System with Optima
BAS FBH remote
Bodsy DRL's
Bodsy EGR's Blanked
V8 Brake Upgrade by Steve, Advanced Factors