Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Transmission Fault, HDC Fault, Suspension Lowers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
discobean

Transmission Fault, HDC Fault, Suspension Lowers

Hi all,

I have this dreaded problem, last time it was the brake switch, which I replaced a while back. This time the brake lights are still working and not blown, and there are a few new variables I have found.

I would drive the car as normal, and every now and then I would get the usual Trans/HDC errors, stop the car, start and keep going. I'm not sure what the issue is.

Now what puzzles me is whenever this happens (HDC fault etc.) I noticed that I can raise and lower the suspension, BUT, the front raises VERY slowly - In fact it would sometimes say SUSPENSION - RAISING SLOWLY, and eventually the 'must wait to cool down' error before continuing. - The back raises fast as it normally does.

I would then drive off and I would get the HDC error every few metres, and would have to stop.

Secondly, I noticed that if I drive the car, with very little or no throttle input the car seems to work fine.

I have had the codes checked by a guy here, and first time I had a heap of codes, my service guy said he never seen that many errors. He did ask whether I had towed something, and I said - Yes, that's when it first happened.

So codes were cleared, and then the problem happened again. I went back and we got a fuel delivery issue code.
So I changed the fuel filter today. Went for a drive thinking all will be good. The problem came back, and as usual the front suspension raises slowly.

I don't know if the issues (suspension and fuel delivery) are linked or separate, the temperature here (Aus) has gone up to about 30C.

I've also tried disconnecting all external accessories, ie. towing brake controller, and also my 12v hardline to the rear trailer.

So to me:
1. Sounds like a fuel problem, because (it seems) I can drive with little throttle and the issue does not come up
2. And sounds like a suspension issue - but why would it happen only when the fuel problem comes up?

Anybody has any suggestions I am all ears?

Post #9989966th Nov 2012 9:31 am
discobean

Just an update, the voltage of the battery is fine, and the alternator is charging fine too. I checked this myself, and the local service guy checked it too.

Post #9990006th Nov 2012 9:35 am
discobean

Another update. I also cleaned the connector in the right rear wheel well with wd40 and an air compressor but this did not fix it.

Post #9990466th Nov 2012 11:12 am
discobean

Another update, I've checked the fuel pressure, with the engine off and ignition on it reads 5psi. I didn't check with the engine running, might do that tomorrow.

Anybody know the correct pressure?

Post #9990706th Nov 2012 12:26 pm
discobean

Another update, cleaned the MAP sensor today. It was full of crap, and I have put in some 2T oil into the fuel as what I have read in a few other posts.

Car doesn't seem all that different so far. The weather has cooled and the problem as expected has gone away (even before cleaning the MAP sensor). I will check back when/if it comes back.

Post #9995377th Nov 2012 12:41 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

fuel pressure should be around 0.5-0.6 bar, so is a little low, but I expect its not low enough to cause any issues

What were the fault codes, and which one keep coming back?
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #9995587th Nov 2012 7:50 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discobean

I didn't write them down, but they are in the computer of my service guy, next time I am there I will get a printout.

Post #9996227th Nov 2012 10:26 am
andy ward

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

discobean wrote:
I didn't write them down, but they are in the computer of my service guy, next time I am there I will get a printout.
Sounds like ive got exactly the same problem, i have a 2007 disco 50 k miles front suspension raising slowly and when i give it a boot full on my right foot hdc system fault and goes into limp mode, ive got my garage to diagnose but they just saying low fuel pressure thats as far as ive got so far by the way I'm in the uk so don't think its temperature linked  
Post #100256912th Nov 2012 11:27 pm
T.8ATH

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Andy, did you sort this? I have identical issues and the stealer can't fix it. So far had fuel filter, MAF meter, alternator and several hours diagnostics. Thanks, Tim

Post #101889614th Dec 2012 2:14 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

ok, triggers been playing up this week in the VERY COLD weather, car displays all the above messages for the two days, pull over and then restart etc etc.

ploughing through the faultcodes seems to suggest brake related, had the brake switch replaced a day after the new engine, some 15k miles ago.

codes seemed to indicate the trailer which in turn was throwing the car into crawler mode. Noticed that with the lights on, the front side marker on the o/s was "pulsating" a bit, very subtle.

Cleaned the plug in tow sockets on the D3 and the trailer with eletrical cleaner - suprise all was sorted and did not display any further issues, seems to be a bad earth on the trailer AND/OR the wiring harness for the towing electrics (which are original and 7 pin), so being upgraded tomorrow to 13 pin.

Another observation was that the brake pedal became less responsive in the cold few days of this week ie would not spring back immediately after taking yer foot off but would gently rise leading to the brake lights on both our trailer and the D3 coming off perhaps 1-2 seconds after the vehicle was moving, and this is where we feel the issue lies in being a) towing electrics having a fracture within outer sheild where its become brittle over the years resulting in a poor earth b) because of the brake pedal symptoms the car thinks its driving with the brakes on.

Now that it has warmed up in the past 2 days, no problems at all hence the view that it is wiring related which becomes more obvious in cold weather.

So might be worth checking the wiring/earthing issues on whatever you've been towing and/or towing electrics fitted to yer D3 Thumbs Up

Post #101921914th Dec 2012 11:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >