DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

HDC fault questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
maccers

England 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
HDC fault questions

Hi

Been browsing for quite a while, now need your help!

Bit of background to the fault - About 6 months ago stuck in traffic on M25, HDC fault, special programs off, speedo not working, suspension lowered came up which I gather seems to be fairly common, so turned off and on, and all ok. Happened again under same sort of circumstances a couple of months back. Both times i had been on the brake solidly for about 5 mins, so assumed it would be brake light switch?

Anyway, happened today when driving normally and wont clear at all. As the speedo isnt working does that discount the brake switch from being the problem? Was hoping it was the brake switch so I could fix it myself as need it working asap

Any thoughts appreciated, especially if snow is on the way next week!

Post #10159268th Dec 2012 8:28 pm
lrserviceandrepair
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 

Possible rear abs sensor as that supplies the speed signal for the speedo
 EGR blank 07 onwards & remap
WYNNS TRANSERVE AUTOBOX FLUSHING (Autologic adaption reset)
www.lrserviceandrepair.co.uk
www.lrtradeparts.co.uk
http://www.powerupgrades.co.uk/ 

Post #10159308th Dec 2012 8:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Longfield

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi, i have this problem twice, first in scotland when a coach braked and then i braked and got the same symptons. Followed the advice on the forum which was to turn on ignition and let it go though the start up sequence and on the 7th attempt it corrcted and was ok for 6 months.

Then last month had to change a front light blub and 24 hours same issue again, chnaged the blub to a Bosch blub as recommended and again ok but then driving on the motorway symptons just returned. Reset everything and ok for 10 miles on motorway and it came back. This kept repeating. After a while it just stayed on. Was away for a few days and needed for short trips and symptons still there. On way back home stopped at traffic lights turned ignition on and off and it cleared and has been ok for last 4 weeks so makes me reckon a short / earthing problem but until it happens again i can't get codes read.. Hope this works for you as i was starting to panic,

Good luck and be interested on progress

Paul
 1974 lightweight
05 disco silver S Manual
EGRs blanked
Smooth Leather steering wheel
Colour coded rear handle 

Post #10159498th Dec 2012 9:03 pm
maccers

Thanks for the suggestions, will try the running through start up sequence just to get me going, but not going to hope too much as seems terminal at the moment! Will check the battery and check for any wire chafing. Failing that will have to take a bumpy ride to local indy.

As the speedo isn't working, does that effectively rule out the brake switch? Just would like to try and get it done myself, doubt i'll get squeezed into the indy for a few days.

Post #10160178th Dec 2012 11:15 pm
lrserviceandrepair
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 

Last one I did like this it was the nearside rear abs wiring that was open circuit. You need a code reader on the car and look at live data and drive the car slow to see if your getting a wheel speed out put from the n/s/r sensor. Ended up running 2 new wires in from the sensor to the n/s/f wheel arch connector.
 EGR blank 07 onwards & remap
WYNNS TRANSERVE AUTOBOX FLUSHING (Autologic adaption reset)
www.lrserviceandrepair.co.uk
www.lrtradeparts.co.uk
http://www.powerupgrades.co.uk/ 

Post #10160619th Dec 2012 6:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

Maccers - if you need a good LR guy in Kent - Geoff on here comes highly recommended Thumbs Up
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Post #10160639th Dec 2012 7:40 am
maccers

Cheers guys, will see if can get hold of geoff, will let you know how i get on!

Post #10161499th Dec 2012 1:26 pm
maccers

Bit of an update!

Managed to get it squeezed in to have it diagnosed/fixed. All manner of faults showed up, but eventually narrowed to faults showing on rear abs sensor, and also a chafed wire under the wheel arch, which were fixed fine. Test driven and then the lights etc all came on again and suspension lowered, and this time showed up brake light switch fault. This was replaced, was test driven and everything seemed ok.

On way home today after about 20 mins the whole thing reoccured again, and unlikely i'll be able to get it seen to before xmas. Can't fault the garage, got the car in quickly and sounded like a nightmare chasing faults around.

As all of the usual suspects have been replaced, im thinking (hoping) now maybe a battery problem? It hasn't been changed in the 2 years I've had it, but seen a couple of posts on here about batteries not lasting well and possibly throwing up the faults like i'm having.

Post #101917514th Dec 2012 9:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >