Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

EPB stuck on - help needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
dazsear

England 
EPB stuck on - help needed

When I got to work this evening I applied the EPB and got the dreaded squeel and now I can't get the damn thing off again.

I have removed the cover behind the EPB switch and pulled the metal wire loop as hard as I can but it will not disconnect the EPB, has anyone had a similar problem before.
Any tips of how I can get the thing off so that I can at least drive home or drive to a garage in the morning, should I also be removing a fuse or pulling this cable in a certain gear or with the ignition in a certain position.

God I am pulling my hair out with this one and don't know what to do next Big Cry

Daz
 17 4.4 Autobiography FFRR
57 VW Transporter - now gone!
09 D3 HSE in Black - long gone!
08 RRS TDV8 HST - long long gone! 

Post #99553729th Oct 2012 2:17 am
StornowayStu

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

When mine stuck the first time, it took several pulls to release the EPB - you don't need to have the ignition on or off or the car in gear - it's a purely mechanical release but it does take some effort.

Second time, no amount of pulling was able to release it and I had to get the LR dollied to the garage - in that case we found the brake shoes lining appeared to have come away and was jammed between the shoe and the drum.

Best of luck

Post #99554129th Oct 2012 5:00 am
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

It sounds utterly screwed. You have nothing to lose, I think, by pulling it as hard as possible. I used a 3/4" bar as an extension in order to get better leverage. It came off in the end, but it took enough force to break the loop on the wire.

The whole thing was replaced when the new EPB actuator was fitted. Shocking price, though. Prepare yourself... Crying or Very sad
 PAGODA  
Post #99554929th Oct 2012 8:10 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

dazsear

Use the jack handle thats what the loop is for and you have to pull hard, once its off you then need to get your brakes adjusted correctly and you might need to get a FaultMate or IDS tool to unjam it if it still errors.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #99556429th Oct 2012 8:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
StornowayStu

As Flack said, the manual mentions using the jack handle to get some leverage.

When mine failed to release the last time around we were unable to get the EPB to relatch. Whether that was stretched brake cables or a fault in the EPB itself I don't know. I replaced it with a salvage unit as I wasn't prepared to pay $1300 for the dealer to fit a new one. My unit cost $350 and I paid a LR indie shop about $400 to fit as they had a lift and I didn't fancy crawling around underneath....

As I have an auto box, I don't use the EPB and just leave it in Park. I don't trust the design with all its flaws...

Post #99564829th Oct 2012 1:34 pm
dazsear

England 

Well I spent 20 minutes after work and finally managed to get the fecker off so will adjust the brake pads later once I have finally work up properly......din't make me panic about serious repair bills I can tell you.

Still not sure if the release cable would have worked since I pulled it really really hard and I am a bit of a gorilla when it comes to things like that, the cable moved about an inch of nice smooth movement before feeling like it had come to the end of its travel with no more travel, I suspect I would have damaged it had I tried to pull any more.

Fingers crossed the adjustment at the back end will cure my problem.

Thanks for all the advice guys and I doubt I will ever use it again unless I absolutely need to, the park gear will do just fine for me...lol

Daz
 17 4.4 Autobiography FFRR
57 VW Transporter - now gone!
09 D3 HSE in Black - long gone!
08 RRS TDV8 HST - long long gone! 

Post #99569829th Oct 2012 3:37 pm
StornowayStu

You may want to pull the disks off the rear anyway just to check that there isn't something amiss with the shoes/lining which would mean you did actually release the brake as far as the EPB is concerned but that wasn't enough. For a while I pulled fuse 8 (i think ) to be absolutely sure the EPB didn't try and re-engage but it did mean driving around with the amber BRAKE light on in the dash. I only fixed that damn thing because it's required for the annual equivalent here of the MOT.... Big Cry

Post #99570429th Oct 2012 3:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >