Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Winter tyres or not?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
mcferran1

Northern Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3
Winter tyres or not?

I have just moved into an even more remote area. Narrow twisty roads, lined with tress in the middle of Ireland.

Currently I have Scorpion ATR's on my Disco 3.

It'll be 99% road driving, the other 1% would be soft wet fields.

Would I be better with winter tyres or stick with the ATRs?

Thanks

Mark.

Post #98908413th Oct 2012 11:30 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

ATRs are fine for that, you don't exactly get Scandinavian weather over the water in winter. I've run mine through 2 1/2 Highland winters and wouldn't change. As long as you drive to the conditions all will be well, my ATRs haven't let me down on ice or snow as I drive accordingly. And reasonably good in mud, though not as good as a mud tyre but much better than a mud in all other conditions. Thumbs Up

PS Winters are pants off the Tarmac.

Post #98909113th Oct 2012 11:51 am
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Happy to be corrected here - but my understanding of Winter tyres is that they're primarily made of a compound that stays softer under extreme cold conditions thereby allowing better traction under such conditions, no real advantage in mud or UK winter conditions.
 Clive

Post #98909813th Oct 2012 12:02 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Agreed but whilst they may be better in theory I haven't had any issues in reality with ATRs or even 17" Contis standard road tyres in fairly deep snow & temps down to -20c. For me just not worth the extra costs compared with running ATRs year round. Lots of peeps run winters year round, but they would be useless off the black stuff. Pays yer money, makes yer choice.

Post #98910113th Oct 2012 12:12 pm
flydive

Switzerland 

I run a set of summer tyres and one of winter tyres according to the season.
I believe the extra safety of a dedicated tyre makes it worth it.

Extra cost? not really except for the the initial layout for the additional set of wheels.

Post #98911013th Oct 2012 12:46 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

We have more and more customers changing to Winter tyres, big heavy vehicle, best to look after it and yourself, you only have four contact points with what ever is below you, I think it's best to look after it.

I would say that though as it put butter on my bread. Thumbs Up

A good AT tyre does the job.........but not as well as a proper winter tyre.

Post #98911713th Oct 2012 1:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
anglefire

England 

crwoody wrote:
Happy to be corrected here - but my understanding of Winter tyres is that they're primarily made of a compound that stays softer under extreme cold conditions thereby allowing better traction under such conditions, no real advantage in mud or UK winter conditions.

The break point between summer and winter tyres is about 7'C - above and summer are better and below winter tyres are better.

I've used ATR's the last 2 winters and have been fine, though I'm sure winters would have been more sure footed.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #98919113th Oct 2012 6:07 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

The difference in stopping distance between winters and regular tyres below 7 deg C is huge. If, like me, you drive your car to work in the early morning and come home in the evening it is surprising how much of the year that the driving is 7 deg C or below. Given that big 4x4s are not famed for great braking compared to regular cars I consider winter tyres a must. They are also pretty impressive in the wet, but terrible on mud.

As an experiment I have just run my Wintracs through the summer too and happy with the results. Whilst there is a small increased % in dry & warm stopping conditions when compared to regular tyres, in terms of actual distance the results are not that different. The % difference in cold and wet conditions equates to many many metres.

You pay your money and take your choice but if there was a £300 gadget that could be fitted as an option that would reduce the braking distance by 10 to 20%, you would be daft not to tick the box. Tyres are the only thing that link your £40k+ vehicle to the road.

Thumbs Up

Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #98932114th Oct 2012 4:03 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up Always nice to have an end users point of view re Winter tyres. Thumbs Up

We are getting more and more going down the Winter tyre direction and many using them all year.

Would you rather be on a Summer tyre in the Winter or a Winter tyre in the Summer......you can adjust your driving style for the Winter tyre in the Summer but not so easy with a Summer tyre in the Winter.

Post #98932914th Oct 2012 7:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

I have run Vredestrein Wintracs year round and have found them to be excellent on and off road, wet and dry, warm and cold. Obviously there is a trade off but to be honest, I think that they're a superb compromise. Just MHO
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Post #98937214th Oct 2012 9:42 am
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I've got Vredestrein Wintracs which I plan to leave on all year. Bought at the height of summer and so far I'm very impressed. Can't wait for the cold stuff.
Thumbs Up

Post #98940314th Oct 2012 10:41 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Based on my own experience with winter tyres on my front wheel drive car, I'd say the statistics that the BTMA use on their reviewed 2012 statement on winter tyres reflect real world driving.

Here's the link to the statement with supporting diagrams:

http://www.btmauk.com/data/files/Why%20fit...202012.pdf

These stats are for a car and not a (nearly) 3 ton 4X4.

I'd never run winter tyres all year round. I drive many miles pa on motorways at 70mph and it's not unusual to see temperatures of 30c (road surface) and higher during hot spells.

But each to their own Thumbs Up

Post #98956114th Oct 2012 6:58 pm
sean 471

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Go for some wintracs extreme. I got mine off Andy At ajs tyres. Amazing in the cold conditions and well worth the money.
I put the p zeros on during the summer

Post #98959714th Oct 2012 7:36 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

LT wrote:
I'd never run winter tyres all year round.

Whilst these figures are interesting for comparing road biased car tyres with winter designed tyres, it would be very interesting to test large 4x4's ATR type designs with their winter counterparts. Because of the nature of this forum, many users choose mud, all-terrain or 'knobbly' tyres all year round. How do these compare to winters on a damp road in summer?

There are graphs to show that a 'slick' tyre will stop quicker than anything else on a hot dry road... but I'd rather stick to winters!
Thumbs Up

Post #98973014th Oct 2012 10:41 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I run MT/R's for most of the year but from the end of Nov to end of Feb Pirelli Snow + Ice are on ,the MT/R's are excellent in mud etc and untouched snow but frankly quite scary on ice ( most frightening moment of my life in 7 years of owning the D3 was at 3MPH on Ice with the MT/Rs on tarmac )

Anyone who argues against winter tyres for any vehicle through those few cold months even in balmy temp UK, obviously asn't tried them as it is like night and day Thumbs Up
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #98973414th Oct 2012 10:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >