Re Sale D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re Sale D4

Hi Guys,
just arrived in USA and looks like Im here for a couple of years. I am looking for a new car and given that I don't know how long we will be here (min 2 years) need a bit of advice.
I know it is going to cost me a few dollars on any car so would prefer to buy a LR but are they difficult to sell on the used car market and given that I will have all that off road capability where can I use it close to Va
Wayne
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #98261927th Sep 2012 8:44 pm
scraig

Canada 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

Maybe look at leasing? There may be some tax benefits with that too....
 Stewart  
Post #98276728th Sep 2012 3:43 am
WayneD

Thanks sCraig
Appears that we don't have a credit rating yet, problem with using cash to pay for things. Leases in USA seem to work differently to Oz so may be you can answer a couple of questions. When the lease finishes do we hand back the car and get a cash settlement and what would normally happen if we handed the car back early.
cheers
Wayne
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #98308428th Sep 2012 6:54 pm
hids4u

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

i doubt you would get credit rating to lease. most deals are for not for legal aliens Smile
if you have cash you can buy a nearly new one for 48-54K USD
They seem to be holding their price like crazy. i have only come across a few on the manheim auction sites - most seem to go back to dealers to sell
you shouldn't lose too much
r
ian

Post #98308828th Sep 2012 6:59 pm
scraig

Canada 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

Although I am certainly not a leasing expert, and also Canadian with different ways of doing things from our American cousins Smile , I understand after the lease term, you simply hand the keys back and walk away. Perhaps you get a deposit back if laid down and the terms haven't been upset. Leasing will restrict you to a certain mileage allowance which, as a 'visitor', will probably be too low for you as I'm sure you will want to explore. Generally speaking, leasing is another way to purchase the depreciation but can come have some tax benefits if self employed.

I think Ian's suggestion to buy nearly new, with warranty left is probably the way to go, especially if you are uncertain how long you will need it for.

Stewart
 Stewart  
Post #98313428th Sep 2012 7:59 pm
nasdiesel

United States 2012 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteLR4

It is true the LR4 is holding its' value like crazy. The LR3 on the other hand can be had for cheap. I would not recommend leasing anyway, you gain nothing other than reduced cash outlay and renting the car effectively unless you can deduct the expenses under your business(income taxes stateside).

Not sure what to suggest but as I said, the LR4 is very much in demand with a limited import quantity and holding its' value.
 '97 NAS D-90 - 2.8tdi with ZF
'12 LR4 V8 - HSE w/climate, vision, rear locker, Logic 7, RMR, Sat 

Post #98314328th Sep 2012 8:18 pm
WayneD

Thanks for your help guys.
Agree that will probably run up the miles as we explore. Received an email from LR dealer here that offers D4 for $49k plus on road and dealer costs. Will probably get some good deals as we head toward year end. Have to wait for Social Security card to be issued so I can get insurance so have a couple of weeks before that happens Sad
cheers
Wayne
Post #98324329th Sep 2012 1:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >