DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

privacy glass/tinted windows damage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
willyroyale

Spain 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
privacy glass/tinted windows damage

hi

i have a recently acquire disco 3 '05 SE with tinted privacy glass. There is a little area of the dark tint scratched away and a few little bubbles on the rear screen. My question is: are these OEM privacy windows or is it a retrofit? I would have thought the oem windows would smoked and therefore not possible to damage the privacy/dark tint. If its a retrofit then i'm guessing its easier to remove and replace the tinted film.

many thanks for any advice and if you have any recommendation on reapplying a tinted film.

rgds
 RHD UK disco 3  
Post #96760020th Aug 2012 2:45 pm
warrenkerrigan

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I believe you can tell if they are retro fit by checking in the back side windows. If you can see the orange ariel in the glass they are retro fit.

I don't know of a good place to get that repaired, but I believe that the film can be removed and reapplied. You need to make sure it is the same film though, so it doesn't look silly. There are lots of shades.

Can you ask the previous owner where he got them done? On second thoughts, if they are not well done, maybe thats not a great idea. Smile

Post #96764420th Aug 2012 4:30 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

OEM privacy glass is actually coloured glass, not a film. So if you can see scratches or bubbles it's definitely not OEM.

One of the problems with all the films, is that no matter what the manufacturers say, they will always change colour a little in the sun. Usually the darker tints turn a little magenta or purple as they fade, not by much, but you may notice it if you put a new piece next to it. Hopefully the original tints weren't done too long ago.?

Confused

Post #96768520th Aug 2012 6:17 pm
dsd1036

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Also if they are film,on each window by the Land Rover etched in the glass,it'll read "optikool" too!

Darrell Thumbs Up

Post #96774520th Aug 2012 7:49 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

crews control wrote:
One of the problems with all the films, Confused

That's a hell of a sweeping statement. I know the stuff from Johnsons films has a lifetime warranty when fitted by their top fitters. The stuff Ben fitted as a "group buy" on here years ago is still going strong on the cars I have seen.

IMHO take the old stuff off though, as getting a colour match based on make, batch, fiting fluid used etc will be more difficult. Top tip, use a steam wall paper stripper for a few seconds to loosen the film - never try and pick it or scratch it off or you will still be trying in a years time !
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #96774620th Aug 2012 7:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

90BHP wrote:
That's a hell of a sweeping statement. I know the stuff from Johnsons films has a lifetime warranty when fitted by their top fitters. The stuff Ben fitted as a "group buy" on here years ago is still going strong on the cars I have seen.

Sorry, yes it was rather sweeping. Is it possible to make anything coloured that doesn't fade in the sun?

Post #96786220th Aug 2012 10:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >