DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Land Rover steering wheel phone buttons with Parrot CK3100
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Land Rover steering wheel phone buttons with Parrot CK3100

Has anyone managed to use the Land Rover make/end call buttons on the steering wheel to work with a Parrot CK3100 car kit?

The Parrot display has a green and red make/end call buttons. I was wondering if it would be possible to intercept the switch wiring from the steering wheel controls, and connect it into the switches on the Parrot?

Any info, or wiring diagrams appreciated Thumbs Up

Post #31577530th Jun 2008 12:36 pm
monkey hanger

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

parrot have a series of link cables that will plug in to do this, no need for extra wiring. I retrofitted the same kit to my 3 series bmw and it works really well.
I sourced my cable from a very helpful guy at soundbytes car audio
http://www.soundbytes.fsnet.co.uk/
 "its probably a virus, you'll be right as rain in a few days and if you're playing sport try to favour the other leg"  
Post #31577730th Jun 2008 12:44 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Maybe you could merge this topic with this one: Whistle

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic22700.html

I was looking into this yesterday and found the following kits which Parrot market to 'intercept' CAN messages in order to control the CK3100 but there's nothing listed for any Land Rovers...I guess they work in the same way that the LR ACM kit intercepts the track change buttons to control the iPod (i.e. even if you change the track when listening to a CD, it will still act upon the iPod and change its tracks too even though you haven't got AUX selected).

http://www.parrotshopping.com/uk/p_parrot_item.aspx?i=149037

In the instalation document (PDF) for a Jaguar X-type, they have the following info:

Parrot MULTICOMM instructions wrote:
Depending on your vehicle's steering wheel controls, there are several possibilities for using a handsfree kit with the steering wheel controls:

-Mode 1: the steering wheel does not feature any phone button, but only volume adjustment controls ("Volume (+)" and "Volume (–)" buttons)

-Mode 2: the steering wheel features a single "Phone" button

-Mode 3: the steering wheel features an "Answer" button and a "Hang up" button

With these Jaguar cars, you can only use Mode 1.

I suppose it's possible that Mode 3 may work in your case as you have these buttons. I guess it just depends if they are compatible...

Maybe give them a call and see if they can offer anything?
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #31578230th Jun 2008 1:05 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Ah, I hadn't seen your reply to the last question Embarassed I didn't realise it was all part of the can bus, but I'll make a call and see what they can do.

Post #31578930th Jun 2008 2:11 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I don't think the buttons are on a CAN bus, they are a resistor ladder (i.e. a voltage signal) wired to the back of the head unit?
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #31579130th Jun 2008 2:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Embarassed Embarassed

Sorry Gareth.....Martin is spot on.

GTR wrote:
The IHU can be remotely controlled via steering wheel mounted controls. The steering wheel controls are mounted to the right hand side of the steering wheel.

The switches are a resistive ladder type. The IHU supplies a reference voltage to the switches, which then return an altered voltage to the IHU depending on which switch is pressed.

The controls allow the user to adjust the volume, change CD (compact disc) tracks/radio pre-sets, answer and end a phone call (where a phone is fitted) and use the voice recognition system.

Nice one Martin Thumbs Up

Gareth - you might have more luck with the following Parrot adaptor box (resistive ladder):

http://www.parrotshopping.com/uk/p_parrot_item.aspx?i=149045
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #31579430th Jun 2008 2:18 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Excellent, thanks for the link. Thumbs Up

Post #31579730th Jun 2008 2:24 pm
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Whilst there's no instructions for Land Rovers on the Parrot Multicomm site it looks like it should work by connecting to the audio head unit remote control wires. Does anyone know if there's an audio mute input on the base stereo?
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #31600830th Jun 2008 10:17 pm
PaulP

ridgeback_moor wrote:
Whilst there's no instructions for Land Rovers on the Parrot Multicomm site it looks like it should work by connecting to the audio head unit remote control wires. Does anyone know if there's an audio mute input on the base stereo?

At the risk of saying the wrong thing again Laughing , I don't think that there's a mute-input on any of the stereos (base/hi-line/HK). I think that the mute is activated by the voice-recognition module via the MOST in the hi-line/HK systems and there is nothing at all on the base radio.
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #31604330th Jun 2008 10:41 pm
ridgeback_moor

Have you ordered one of the Multicomm controllers Gareth? I'm about to, in the hope that the phone buttons on the steering wheel are also part of the resistive ladder connected to the back of the head unit. The Multicomm instructions are not available on the Parrot website at the moment, but the blurb says it can learn from any r-ladder system, which I assume to mean it's possibe to get the Multicomm to recognise any steering wheel button press you wish to assign to the Parrot functionality. The audio wiring diagram I've seen somewhere on there doesn't make it very clear which circuit the phone buttons connect through, but I'm hoping it's the same as the other audio control buttons.

edit - just found a link to the Multicomm manual that works....http://www.parrot.com/usa/support/userguid...-03-19.pdf
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #3167092nd Jul 2008 2:01 pm
ridgeback_moor

Parror Multicomm works!

OK, after an 'interesting' couple of evenings trying to figure this lot out, I'm pleased to report that the Parrot CK3100 can be used with the Steering Wheel phone buttons Very Happy . As I've got the low end (aka poverty Laughing ) audio system I purchased the Autoleads SOT-082 ISO adapter lead, Parrot CK3100 kit, and Parrot Multicomm Steering Wheel Control Kit. For the high end audio system different leads are required instead of the SOT-082, covered in other 'Parrot' posts on here.

I put the 3 wiring looms together on the kitchen table initially, as there are a lot of plugs and sockets to mate up, but it's fairly straight-forward despite the Parrot instructions being as much use as a handbrake on a canoe. The only concern I had was how I was going to hide so much 'stuff' behind the dash! From another post on here I'd read that the link between pin 7 (steering wheel control GND) on the SOT-082 lead was missing, so with one of the 2 'spare' wires that came with the kit I added that in - 2 second job.

On removal of the stereo, heater module etc, I tested the resistance across wires 18 and 7 coming from the audio connector (I think the numbers are the same for the high line system - see this pdf posted by Wiggs Thumbs Up http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...system.pdf) - and as expected the resistance changed as the various audio and phone control buttons were pressed on the steering wheel. In this picture I've already soldered 2 wires to connections 18 (Grey / Red wire) and 7 (Grey / Black wire).
Click image to enlarge

Each button changes the resistance across 7 & 18:
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

When I spoke to Parrot they told me that the Multicomm wasn't tested with the Disco3, so offered no advice about where to connect it, but based on what I'd found out so far it was looking good. The Multicomm has to be taught the different voltages by pressing the buttons in a certain order during setup, so I connected it all up and it looked like this (yikes!):
Click image to enlarge

The head unit was on my lap at this point as i couldn't hold it up and take pics at the same time. All that electric string and the 3 boxes on the centre consol some how had to fit behind the dash!

Once I'd worked out that the stereo doesn't behave properly until the heater controls are plugged in Rolling Eyes , and after running a switched 12v to the parrot loom (there wasn't one on the vehicle loom stereo connector) from the cigar lighter, I turned on the ignition to try it. The LED on the Multicomm flashed once as it was suposed to, and the backlighting of the CK3100 LCD came on, although the display didn't show anything initially as the Multicomm wasn't set-up. The Multicomm puple wire V1 connects to the grey/red wire on pin 18 of the stereo connector, and the white wire V0 connects to the wire on pin 7 of the stereo connector. The instructions for the Multicomm say that to set up the system, press the steering wheel volume -, vol +, seek -, seek +, answer, hang up buttons in that order (IIRC), but once I'd done this I found the red and green buttons had reversed functions (green to hang up, red to call!). So the manual was wrong - I reset the Multicomm and went through the setup again, this time pressing the green and red buttons the other way around to what the instructions said. Now it worked fine, and the display came to life so I could then pair my phone (and sync the phone book) which was effortless.

All I had to do now was re-fit everything. The head unit was a real pig to get back in due to the extra plugs and sockets behind it, but eventually it went in, and the rest of the boxes and wires went down the gap under the right hand upper airvent, using the space under the steering column around the air vent next to your knees. Having the Parrot boxes down there also allowed me to install the CK3100 LCD and microphone on the overhead panel next to the sunroof switch, as the wires were long enough to route along the headlining, down the a-pillar and in behing the headlight switch. Here's the mounted LCD, which I much prefer rather than have it stuck to the side of the stereo head unit:
Click image to enlarge

I didn't like the way the wire came out of the bottom of the LCD, so I unscrewed the back off it, cut off the small rubber gland moulded onto the cable, and routed it out of the back of the display instead. This meant I could hide the wire in the courtesy light unit, although it did mean cutting it to feed through the hole I'd drilled, then re-connecting the multiple fine strands that make up that cable (I was cross eyed by the end!). The microphone was installed behind the opening next to the sunroof switch on the drivers side, which is where LR phone kit mic goes as well I think. Tested the whole lot this morning and very happy with it - thoroughly recommended mod 8)

So endeth this Disco3 version of War and Peace!

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #3192568th Jul 2008 10:16 am
monkey hanger

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Excellent! well done! Thumbs Up
I have this set up retrofitted to my 3 series and it works really well
I seem to remember the " how are we going to get all this in that hole?" conversation then as well Laughing
I particularly like your overhead installation of the unit
 "its probably a virus, you'll be right as rain in a few days and if you're playing sport try to favour the other leg"  
Post #3195288th Jul 2008 5:26 pm
PaulP

monkey hanger wrote:
I particularly like your overhead installation of the unit

Me too....it's a very neat install....nice work! Bow down

I've been getting slowly tired of having the screen next to the stereo where it is difficult to see and I like the idea of installing it in the overhead panel....great idea!

I also have the ACM kit installed so you can imagine how many cables and adaptor plugs I have. I also had to stuff them down the sides where possible, but it's still a very tight fit. I've always been worried about the IHU getting hot and melting some of the wires pressing against it, however nothings happened so far and I always have the stereo fairly loud.

I've been looking around for info to do this mod to mine too. I have the 3200LS with the colour LCD, but there is nothing about using the Multicomm with it (only 3000, 3100 and Evolution). If anyone finds out anything, please let me know Thumbs Up
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #3195528th Jul 2008 6:01 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Well done RBM Thumbs Up Nice project for me when I get back from hols. Thanks.

Post #3197748th Jul 2008 11:21 pm
ridgeback_moor

A slight amend to the fit - I had to move the microphone out of the courtesy light unit, and mount it just next to the small white LED above the rear view mirror pointing towards the driver. It's not quite so smart, but fairly discrete and the sound quality from the microphone is vastly improved. I'll post a photo later once the Devon monsoon has died down a bit!
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #3198629th Jul 2008 11:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >