Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Hawkeye Diagnostic tool.. Any Good?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
piper5

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Unnecessary quote removed

thanks for the reply is there a link on here somewhere that explains what each of you products do ? or what i need to buy to do all my own servicing , ie handbrake and service indicators, i dont really need to reprogram anything so if i can get away with the cheaper unit i will, maybe worth an explanation on here as i believe there is a bulk purchase in the planning. i am still a bit unclear if i need to buy extra bits to make it all work? for example if i buy a faultmate fcr do i still need the canmate for the service intervals?
thanks
richard.

Post #95317210th Jul 2012 9:30 pm
yogi972

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Well I've had a tinker
Service reminder gone was at -72 lol
Two fault codes found for the egrs , cleared those too
And just because I could I deflated the suspension down to the
Bumpstops
Can put it in tight tolerance mode for geometry set up
And might even lend it my Indy if he needs it for other disco3
He works on (at a cost of course heheh)

Post #95362011th Jul 2012 11:35 pm
SteveMfr
Site Sponsor 

France 

D4JWW wrote:
nighthawk wrote:
I'm taking quite a liking to the IIDTool. Slight inconvenience controlling it (a bit fiddly using the cruise control buttons and the dash LCD), but the price is extremely reasonable so it makes it very worth it.

I use my IIDTOOL more than the Msv2, just because it's so convenient plug in and use cruise control buttons, very handy to adjust susp height for highway or offroad, build mode turns suspp ecu off good for long periods of parking or dealing with failing compressor. Live value espesially ergs valves is good, missing on MSv2.

Thanks, guys. Thumbs Up

RCDtripper wrote:
thats what really swung it for me is the service reset, didn't want a seperate box to do that, easily lost too

Hi RCD,
Just in case there is any confusion: IIDTool will do a SIR- service interval reset (wasn't sure which systems you were comparing). Additional boxes are sometimes nice but not always necessary. Whistle

The IIDTool does not yet have the EPB service function. This is scheduled for release with what will be our last major FW update to complete the functionality by the end of the summer/beginning of autumn.

And a quick general explanation into diagnostic tools/systems and maybe as a guide on what to look for.

There are 4 basic functions for a diagnostic system:
- Fault (DTC- diagnostic trouble code) reading and clearing
- Live Value display
- Editing the car's configuration files (CCF)
- Initializing, calibrating, or programing new components or executing service routines/manually actuating components (testing function)

2 other major factors to be considered are:
- vehicle or manufacturer specific application / generic application (£25 OBD scanner)
- one VIN / multiple VIN

Starting with the lowest priced units, even a £25 generic code reader will read and sometimes clear the codes on anything that is emissions related (engine+drive train). They will not work on any vehicle specific systems. Vehicle specific diagnostic tools start with the BBS FCR and the Hawkey and go through the IIDTool to the BBS MSV to Autologic to the main dealer T4/IDS. There are some others out there - there is a large US LR parts retailer who sells a very basic (LR specific) fault code reader for over $1000.

You have to examine your needs and look at the costs. As Colin (BBS SPY) said, the Hawkey is not a bad piece of kit but it is very basic. It will not allow an EAS re-calibration following a height sensor change, for instance, yet offers live value viewing and component actuation for some systems - much more than just a simple fault code scanner. The BBS products are very good and the MSV offers extremely comprehensive functionality. For the IIDTool, we have worked hard at putting together a package that we feel combines the highest grade of functionality and we went with a large volume distributor to try to keep the price of individual user systems as low as possible. But the goal of a low price could only be met by offering a the IIDTool with a single vehicle license as we do have to sell a few to make ends meet (we do offer an unlimited VIN professional garage version of the IIDTool as well).

It does take a little looking into if you want to pick up the diagnostic system best suited for your needs, but then again, vehicle diagnostics and service should not be undertaken by persons not willing to look into the details either...

HTH

www.gap-diagnostic.com 

Post #95382012th Jul 2012 4:24 pm
piecost76

United Kingdom 

BBS SPY wrote:

They do not also point out that you also need to buy another equally pricy lead and power supply if you want to upgrade your Hawkeye's software.

Have to correct you in part there, Bearmach upgraded my Hawkeye to V5.0 for free - I just sent them the bare unit & received it back the next day Thumbs Up

Horses for courses I know, I have used my Hawkeye on a fair few D3's & FFRR's as I have both codes & own both types of vehicle.

For the FFRR, my unit does all petrol & diesel variants up till (I think) 09 MY Thumbs Up

Like I said, Horses for Courses & I can't edit my CCF Sad
 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Defender 110 XS 

Post #95383112th Jul 2012 5:01 pm
SteveMfr
Site Sponsor 

France 

piper5 wrote:
IId tool, operates from cruise control buttons but i dont have cruise control ???

Forgot to mention in my long post above - while we are working on a new option to control the IIDTool, at the moment if you do not have cruise control fitted and would like both cruise and an IIDTool you can simply purchase the tool, a switch pack (from a breaker, for instance) and use the CCF-Editing options to add the cruise control to the vehicle. Prolly costs less than it would have as an original option. Razz

www.gap-diagnostic.com 

Post #95388312th Jul 2012 7:09 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thought about selling the switch packs yourself steve? Kind of like a bundle for those who don't have them fitted?
Mr. Green
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #95389212th Jul 2012 7:27 pm
SteveMfr
Site Sponsor 

France 

Laughing

TBH, we've not had that many people come to us with this problem yet. And when you see the alternate solution we are working on....

www.gap-diagnostic.com 

Post #95402612th Jul 2012 11:43 pm
ids

England 

Steve

Was thinking about buying an IIDTool but if you need any testers for the next version let me know!

Ids

Post #95404513th Jul 2012 5:58 am
nanobot

England 

Steve

I have been looking through the different toolsets and like the IIDTool, however I have a suggestion.

I'm currently looking for a D3 and would actually like to plug into a D£ I might be looking at (with owners permission which I guess might not be forthcoming) and check for faults before I buy, however the IIDTool then locks itself to that D3 - this is where the Hawkeye looks more attractive

Have you thought of locking the IIDTool down to the VIN after say 5 inserts?

thanks

Post #95434113th Jul 2012 6:08 pm
SteveMfr
Site Sponsor 

France 

Not 5 inserts - we are considering a pre-purchase scan feature. We have to finalize thoughts on this.

www.gap-diagnostic.com 

Post #95435613th Jul 2012 6:34 pm
therso

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Interesting stuff but not exactly answering the original question. Whistle

Post #95439013th Jul 2012 7:41 pm
Pacha

France 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Wink thats right...

As i wrote upwards, I have a Hawkeye for my actual TD5 Disco auto. Upgraded to V5.
On my TD5 there is no way to set airspring hight, only test it up or down.
Seems to be the same on D4, but Hawkeye can reset service, its in the manual... read and clear faults with the item name, not only code.
Seems that you can, on D4, reset after working on EPB (check on pdf file given upwards)
On the TD5 you could not set the remote airspring control but you could set a brand new remote control for opening the doors... non-sense...
I already wrote to Omitec to give my opinion.
Anyway, I will by a new code to use on my future D4 (Tdv6 ordered yet), I already have the Hawkeye so I guess it will be useful to read and clear faults anywhere on the road...
Using T4 cost in dealer's garage in France 120€...
Worth it to get one in the D4. IMHO.
Cheers Thumbs Up

Should be interesting to make a complete comparison between different tools, no? For the moment I only read things about BBS but isn't enough precise to make an idea... once again IMHO, no offence.

Mr. Green

Post #95448813th Jul 2012 11:34 pm
SteveMfr
Site Sponsor 

France 

therso wrote:
Interesting stuff but not exactly answering the original question. Whistle

In my long post above, I tried to give a detailed description of what to look at when comparing diagnostic tools. I could write that as of the last FW update, there is nothing that comes close to the IIDTool in terms of functionality in the price category, but you'd be silly to believe my very objective opinion. So I tried to give you the knowledge you need to figure this out for yourself... Razz

www.gap-diagnostic.com 

Post #95455814th Jul 2012 10:11 am
therso

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Oh dear Steve, not quite sure if I detected a wee bit of teddy being thrown into the corner. You see, I'm just a simple, old soldier. When the green light comes on, I jump. When the light is red, I stay put. So, when the question is, "Hawkeye. Is it any good?" I tend to look for a positive or negative response........THEN, I may seek an explanation (Hopefully in words of one syllable).........or not!

Now, if the question had been: "The AH1 Apache Attack Helicopter Mission Planning System. Is it any good?" I could give you my objective opinion but............I'll let you figure it out for yourself. Horses for courses as they say.

Keep smilin. Thumbs Up

By the way, I like my Hawkeye. It's green and lights up. Good enough for me.

Post #95473114th Jul 2012 7:32 pm
yogi972

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Sorry guys this post is startIng to make entertaining reading

I'm lol at this lot

Post #95473414th Jul 2012 7:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >