Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Eng system fault under heavy acceleration -loss of power
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
George II

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Eng system fault under heavy acceleration -loss of power

hi, I have a 2007 TDV6 , with 100,000km on the clock . recently I have had an "Engine system Fault" come up when I have been under heavy acceration & the car loses all power , & allows you to go at about 40km/hr . Then if I stop & start off again (not turning the engine off) , everything is OK again.
It first happened when towing a trailer up a gradual incline hill near home . then later the same trip after i had dropped off the trailer & turned back onto the highway as I sped up to get to 110 quickly to join the traffic , it wen on me again. I then tried to make it happen a few more times with success , each time once i stopped i could resume again normally. I then took it in to the Dealer so they could plug it in & see what fault ame up .

They said it was a communications fault (& interestingly it only logged once at the first time it happened , not any of the subsequent times) - they checked all sorts of things including connections etc , & couldn't find anything particular , so sent away to see how it goes.

OK for 2 days then I was once again towing a trailer up the same hill & it was on again . So took it back to them & again it came up as a communication error .
The dealer then said that although I have an extended warrantee , that only covers parts not diagnostics , so for them to go through all the wiring testing connections & voltages etc to try & find the fault would be at my expense ! Could take hours or days ??? So not very impressed .

My concern is that it could be a big safety concern , if say you were overtaking a roadtrain on the highway with full acceleration & you suddenly lost power - your safety could be truely compromised - especially if another vehicle had pulled out behind you to follow you overtaking & you suddenly slow down !!

So the question is has anyone had anything similar happen & if so is there anything anyone can point the finger at to narrow down the search for a solution .

(by the way i have been reporting a high pitched noise under load to the dealer for the last 40,000 kms - bit like a cricket noise - I think it might be the HPFP , the dealers have heard it , but are unwilling to swap anything out without a definite fault - I was sort of hoping that the fault code for this latest problem would say it was something definite , so it could be fixed before the warrantee finishes.)

Rgds
 07 White TDV6 SE ,ARB bar & warn 9500 winch, Rhino aero racks, Thomas super pump compressor, duel batteries, Hella spotties, UHF. Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch, LED module (towing with LED taillights), General Grabber Tyres.  
Post #94867330th Jun 2012 2:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

There was a recall for the HPFP that affected MY07 models is your VIN on the recall or has it been done?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #94869830th Jun 2012 6:48 am
George II

Hi CarverD3, I am aware of the recall from reading about it here a while ago , I even printed it out & took it in to the dealer , but they assured me they had checked & that my vehicle VIN number didn't fall within the recall group . I wish it had been that easy !
 07 White TDV6 SE ,ARB bar & warn 9500 winch, Rhino aero racks, Thomas super pump compressor, duel batteries, Hella spotties, UHF. Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch, LED module (towing with LED taillights), General Grabber Tyres.  
Post #94881630th Jun 2012 1:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
90 Rangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

George II,
Seams funny to only get communication problem under heavy load. I would be trying the simple things like the fuel filter as plenty of people have the same type of problem with this blocked. Also would check brake light switch as I had a problem like yours that I caused through left foot braking when car was new, if the car see's too much throttle with brake applied it does not like it. Hope you get sorted.
 Do not take life too seriously no one gets out alive anyway!
MY 8.5 Izmir Blue HSE Disco 3, ARB Bullbar, IPF HID spot lights, GME TX3440 all in mic UHF, Tripple batteries (2 x Yellow top aux under bonnet), Prodigy brake control, tinted widows, ARB compressor (under bonnet), Prem sound, Prem Nav, Electronic steering column, Adaptive lights, Center fridge, Active diff, Hybrid TV, Side moulds. 

Post #94902630th Jun 2012 9:55 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Check the intercooler for blocked fins and also the hoses for splits. I had the same problem on a coulpe of carsand it was due to heat soak in the intercooler and only came when towing or working hard in the heat.

Has this car been in the mud ? is it a manual ?

Pete

Post #94904030th Jun 2012 10:57 pm
George II

Hi , Vehicle was only serviced last month and they replaced the fuel filter then (I know as I was horrified at the $108.14 ex gst price tag !) , so that side should be OK.
As for mud - no vehicle hasn't seen any mud for ages - and as for temperature , its winter here at the moment, I remember looking at the info screen the first time it happened and the outside temp had just gone from 5 degrees to 4 degrees . So not working at high temps - Also most times its happened the vehicle has only been running for a few minutes - not even warmed up from a long run.
Vehicle is an Auto .
will check on the brake switch though - you never know -

thanks for the input so far - will keep hunting.
Post #9490511st Jul 2012 1:48 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Pipes to the fuel filter put back wrong? Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #9490551st Jul 2012 2:12 am
90 Rangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueDiscovery 3

A few years ago I also was charged by a stealer for a new fuel filter and 6 months latter when I had the plastic cover off my own mark was still on the fuel filter, just wish I had checked it sooner. So I changed it myself.
 Do not take life too seriously no one gets out alive anyway!
MY 8.5 Izmir Blue HSE Disco 3, ARB Bullbar, IPF HID spot lights, GME TX3440 all in mic UHF, Tripple batteries (2 x Yellow top aux under bonnet), Prodigy brake control, tinted widows, ARB compressor (under bonnet), Prem sound, Prem Nav, Electronic steering column, Adaptive lights, Center fridge, Active diff, Hybrid TV, Side moulds. 

Post #9490951st Jul 2012 8:09 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Your high pitched 'cricket' like sound could be a cracked exhaust crossover pipe.

Post #9491021st Jul 2012 8:36 am
George II

I now have black smoke on heavy acceleration (haven't towed for a few days so haven't brought up the engine system error)
looking elsewhere on this site (in the technical part) - seems that a few others have had loss of power faults & then also black smoke problems - a common fault was a split in an intercooler pipe .
Anyone had this problem ?
Is that the only cause of black puffs of smoke or are there others ?
Will be ringing the dealer in the morning to see what they think & probably book it in once again -
At least I have a few things for them to start checking .

Will have a look at that exhaust pipe for the high pitch noise too - again it happens under load & when you back off the Go pedal it stops .

thanks guys.
Post #9491061st Jul 2012 9:06 am
Big Kev

Australia 

Hi George,I had the same problem twice and both times the turbo was at fault, oil leakin out of an o ring.Had it replaced both times under warranty,I have the same model Kev

Post #9498213rd Jul 2012 12:04 am
fordisco

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Engine System Fault under heavy acceleration

I have endured this fault for 4years& 100kms with frightening consequences on road overtaking.My vehicle is aTdv6S and after repeated indifference by dealers I recently had a well known Sydney Independent diagnose comms breakdown between between accelerator and auto transmission. 10k later with new accelerator and covered with extended warranty no reoccurrence, all Ok.
Passengers are now happy to ride again.

Post #9503694th Jul 2012 10:07 am
George II

Thats a good one , accelerator not comunicating ! thats what we wear big boots for. still thats another thing I will get the stealer to look at tomorrow.

I'm hoping the black smoke that is now regular when the foot is planted is the source of the problem & that if they find that the other eng system fault will also disappear.

But now will they find the black smoke culprit ? Turbo & intercooler bits seem to come up as offenders for black smoke under load - Anything else?
Post #9507714th Jul 2012 11:37 pm
razzle

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I wonder if it is your EGR valves, I just had mine done.

I had symptons of large amounts of black smoke and no power for a couple of seconds when trying to accelerate.

When the valves came off, both the valve ends had broken off (at the solenoid end) and the valves where just "free wheeling" so to speak.

Since I have replaced them I have instant power, better fuel economy and no black smoke
 Trust me, what could go wrong?  
Post #9507935th Jul 2012 6:50 am
razzle

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

PS my car I s also 2007 tdV6, 95k.

The other symptom I had, was occasionally on very cold mornings, they car would stall just after starting.
 Trust me, what could go wrong?  
Post #9507955th Jul 2012 6:55 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >