Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Where to get power from?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
toxxic

Canada 2008 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3
Where to get power from?

Guys I want to install 4 dvd headrests, 2 for the 2nd row and 2 for the 3rd row. Also I want to install a sun visor DVD/Monitor for the passenger side. Also A rear view mirror monitor.

All these thing require power. They all have DC12V connections and need < 12W power to run. Where can I take power from for all these units to work at the same time?

Post #94823629th Jun 2012 7:04 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Where to get power from?

toxxic wrote:
Guys I want to install 4 dvd headrests, 2 for the 2nd row and 2 for the 3rd row. Also I want to install a sun visor DVD/Monitor for the passenger side. Also A rear view mirror monitor.

All these thing require power. They all have DC12V connections and need < 12W power to run. Where can I take power from for all these units to work at the same time?

If you want a 12 volt live when the ignition is off then use fuse 58 on the fuse box behind the glove box, just use a piggyback fuse holder and use this to run off for your feeds and then you have a live feed all the time.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #94825329th Jun 2012 8:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
toxxic

can i use this line for all of those extra connections?

Sorry I forgot to mention I will be installing 2 DVD Visor Monitors also Rolling Eyes

Also, How can I take a power line out of the fuse box?

Also, I don't want any of these devices running while the car is off. I mean once I take key out these devices should switch off. Otherwise the battery will drain out like anything.

Sorry for being a noob but I am one of those people who really need to have a step by step instruction like they give with furniture in Ikea.

Post #94825529th Jun 2012 8:16 am
Flack

If you want all the power to be off when your ignition is off then you need to find a ignition supply, you could use the front or rear cigar lighter feed or one that feeds the radio, then just run a fused feed from this to a fuse box of say a bank of 6 fuses and then run a feed from one fuse to the front monitors, and then the next fuse to one of the rears.

Then use the others for any other items you want to add, this way you can feed with one supply and distribute the feeds from the fuse box and just label what fuse is supplying what.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #94825929th Jun 2012 9:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
toxxic

Awesome. A bit clear for me now what to do. But How do i run a fused feed from the cigarette lighter :/ Also there are some empty fuses in the passenger compartment fuse box like in the link below. Do I use those? Sorry for being noobish but I really don't know anything :/

Click image to enlarge

Post #94827629th Jun 2012 9:52 am
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Quote:
If you want a 12 volt live when the ignition is off then use fuse 58 on the fuse box behind the glove box, just use a piggyback fuse holder and use this to run off for your feeds and then you have a live feed all the time.

This is the fuse that you wired my BT and sat-nav into Mick, this only becomes live when you unlock the car and it goes off when the car goes to sleep Thumbs Up (or at least mine does)

Post #94847629th Jun 2012 4:35 pm
Flack

B16 KJR wrote:
Quote:

This is the fuse that you wired my BT and sat-nav into Mick, this only becomes live when you unlock the car and it goes off when the car goes to sleep Thumbs Up (or at least mine does)

B16 KJR

Yes your right bud trying to do to many things Thumbs Up

toxxic

Use this one fuse 58 as B16 KJR says its live when your keys in so just the job for you.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #94848629th Jun 2012 5:02 pm
toxxic

By a piggyback fuse holder are you referring to something like this?

And if you are referring to this one do i take the current fuse out and then put this piggyback one in and put the fuse on top of the piggyback fuse? Also do I need 10Amp piggyback fuse?

Post #94850329th Jun 2012 5:45 pm
Flack

toxxic wrote:
By a piggyback fuse holder are you referring to something like this?

And if you are referring to this one do i take the current fuse out and then put this piggyback one in and put the fuse on top of the piggyback fuse? Also do I need 10Amp piggyback fuse?

Yes bud thats the ones...

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #94851029th Jun 2012 5:59 pm
toxxic

cool so i got the connector it comes with many fuses. and 2 slots for fuses. Once i have connected the piggyback connector onto fuse 58 do I put the 10Amp fuse in? and which slot shall I put it in? Also where shall I connect the ground connectors to?

Post #94866930th Jun 2012 2:20 am
Flack

toxxic wrote:
cool so i got the connector it comes with many fuses. and 2 slots for fuses. Once i have connected the piggyback connector onto fuse 58 do I put the 10Amp fuse in? and which slot shall I put it in? Also where shall I connect the ground connectors to?

Toxic

You need a fuse in both slots to make the piggyback work.. and then just run a earth from any point on the car, if you remove the passenger side kick panel there is a couple of earth points behind there.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #94871730th Jun 2012 9:00 am
toxxic

just to be sure I use 2 10amp fuses with the piggyback connector?

And the one power cable can supply power to all 7 devices?

Post #94880530th Jun 2012 2:16 pm
Flack

toxxic wrote:
just to be sure I use 2 10amp fuses with the piggyback connector?

Yes bud

And the one power cable can supply power to all 7 devices?

Yes just link your live wire to one side of the fuse box and chain link the lives to each other, and then run the other side of the fuse to your individual equipment so that they are on a separate fuse. .

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #94885430th Jun 2012 4:32 pm
toxxic

nice one.. i understand it now lol

Post #94886530th Jun 2012 4:47 pm
toxxic

just for knowledge can the empty slots in the passenger fuse compartment fuse box be used?

Post #94897230th Jun 2012 8:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >