geoff.

England 

Steve

Couldn't of put it better myself Thumbs Up

Post #94454220th Jun 2012 4:15 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

discocuzzy wrote:
LT...why don't you post of your own experiences rather than use other forum members quotes to boost your argument?.

Isn't that precisely what Andy does when recounting his endless hordes of euphoric tyre purchasers? Nothing wrong with quoting the experience of others (unless it's in front of the judge and the rohypnol has clouded the prosecution witnesses recollection of events Embarassed )

Everything regarding performance quoted on these tyre threads is subjective or anectdotal anyway. I've yet to see empirical evidence for the mpg claims offered up by the ATR camp but on the flip side have only had poor experiences of longevity when using General tyres of various patterns on various vehicles in the past. All just my subjective opinion, the sum total of which is all just noise and a shrug if we're honest.

Andy is clearly happy to back the AT with his customers and as his business depends on his good reputation you have to assume he's not taking some wild punt with his recommendation. I'm very happy with my ATRs and hope that when my vehicle hits 120,000 miles they will still be around so I can buy a 3rd set. If they aren't available I may have to seek the opinion of others as to a suitable replacement Shocked
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #94454620th Jun 2012 5:16 am
Johnnytheboy

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Case for the Defence

I wouldnt describe myself as a " Euphoric Tyre Purchaser " Shocked but i did purchase Grabber AT`S from AJS4X4 on Tuesday. Whistle
When i woke this morning i found that i still live in a free democratic Society Very Happy
I choose which tyres to purchase and where to get them fitted, i chose from informed logical choice of elimination. Whistle
I support small British Business interests when ever im able to. Thumbs Up
AJS4X4 will fit whatever tyre you want provided he can get them,oh and he`s got 2 free part worn acceira now in stock, they are better mileage that Grabber AT or the Pirelli. Rolling with laughter

Lets all enjoy our Disco`s the way we choose too. Yawn

Post #94458920th Jun 2012 8:58 am
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

No, no, no, no, NO.

I want to tell everyone, no, dictate to everyone, that the only tyre on this planet that is any good is the General AT, and that's correct because I say so.

Anyone who fits anything else to their D3/4 takes the risk of killing Puppies willy nilly as they wobble down the road on their 'other' tyres.

8)

Nasher.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #94461820th Jun 2012 10:32 am
Disco4SE

2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Nasher wrote:
No, no, no, no, NO.

I want to tell everyone, no, dictate to everyone, that the only tyre on this planet that is any good is the General AT, and that's correct because I say so.

Anyone who fits anything else to their D3/4 takes the risk of killing Puppies willy nilly as they wobble down the road on their 'other' tyres.

8)

Nasher.

Nasher, you have been walking around with blinkers on mate.
COOPER LTZ is the tyre

Post #94462420th Jun 2012 10:51 am
Johnnytheboy

and there was me being fair & all politically correct. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #94462720th Jun 2012 10:57 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Laughing

Post #94463020th Jun 2012 11:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Johnnytheboy

stop laughing Andy or you vil be banned unt moderated Rolling with laughter

Post #94463320th Jun 2012 11:06 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

It always makes me smile at how many different directions some of these thread's go. Thumbs Up

But at least no one gets hurt, as has been said............Free world so Free speech, we all have our own opinion.

Post #94463620th Jun 2012 11:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Johnnytheboy

dont forget guy`s 2 free part worn acceiras available at AJS4X4. Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Post #94464320th Jun 2012 11:24 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

discocuzzy wrote:
LT...why don't you post of your own experiences rather than use other forum members quotes to boost your argument?.
From an outsiders point of view it looks like you have a personal problem with AJS that is detrimental to the opinion of the majority of the forum members.
Please keep your views as observations in your own right and stop trying to rubbish all the good work and service that Andy and the gang have built up over the years on here Wink
There will never be a winner in a "wots the best tyre " thread, so the guy asking the question is after forum members experiences as they will tell it as it is, not some biased twisted opinion from some nobber that has an axe to grind, so kindly jog on my pedigree chum Thumbs Up

discocuzzy, I've posted many times in the section of the forum giving my own personal experience of the tyres that I've used on my D3 over the past 6 years and 127k miles. I've used Pirelli Scorpions Zero's, Goodyear Wrangler HP's, Goodyear MTR's and Pirelli ATR's. I've also driven D3's shod with GG AT2's and Vredestein Wintracs.

Here's a recent post of mine:

Quote:
beanie, I doubt anyone who has actually used them, would argue that the on road performance of the Pirell ATR is very similar to a road tyre.

Previously I've used Pirelli Scorpion Zero's and Goodyear Wranglers HP's on my D3 (both in 19"). In direct comparison to these with the 19" ATR's there's really virtually no difference at all in on road performance for noise or mpg. Personally, I actually prefer the ATR on road to the Wranglers, but ultimately when pushed hard (I rarely push the D3 hard anyway) steering feel with the Zero's is a bit sharper.

But as I do a lot of motorway miles, I can get c.50k miles from the ATR's whilst the Zero's and Wranglers were shot by c.20k miles. So it's a no brainer for me.

If you're ever near the Bristol area, your welcome to drive my D3 and see what you think.

Again all the above IMO, other All Terrain tyres are available

I fail to see where in this thread I've "rubbished" Andy and his gang? Or indeed said anything detrimental against any other brand of tyre.

I'm merely stating my opinion, that in my view the Pirelli ATR is most suited to the OP's requirements of on road use and caravan towing. If that causes you to think I'm a "nobber" with a "biased twisted opinion" that's sad, but c'est la vie. I'll stick with my opinion, but if you or anyone else, can give me your reasons why you believe the GG AT would be more suitable for the OP then I'm all ears. But for me, just because something is popular or a top seller, does not necessarily mean it's the best. If it did we'd all be driving a Ford Fiesta Laughing

I certainly have no axe to grind, I don't sell tyres and I don't work for a tyre company.

Last edited by LT on 20th Jun 2012 1:27 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #94466520th Jun 2012 12:26 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Nasher wrote:
No, no, no, no, NO.

8)

Nasher.

Rolling with laughter

Post #94466620th Jun 2012 12:27 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Come on boys lets not forget what is available................ General AT is and will be for some time to come.

Pirelli AT/R has been deleted in the 19" in the U.K., our customers would get very grumpy if we sold them a set of tyres this week and next week they have a problem and damage a tyre, I can't guarentee back up on the AT/R so I rest my case, I will always tell my customers the state of play.

General has been tested by very many D3/4, Freelander 1/2, FFRR, RRSport and countless other 4x4 vehicles, it suites most but maybe not all. Thumbs Up

I do think the OP who is a newish member wonders what is going on, he has a mind of his own and I am sure will make up his own mind. Thumbs Up

Post #94471820th Jun 2012 3:03 pm
NicoSwart

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Just got hold of a pair of Cooper ATR's after doing much research, hope they serve me well - I'll be back with an update

Post #9513486th Jul 2012 12:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >